Get the tomato juice ...

Re: Get the tomato juice ...

I'd call it a cosmetic transform [granting +5 on smell perception rolls against the character] that's reversed by changing clothes and bathing. I might move it up to a minor transform if you want the target to have a -5 on all smell perception rolls too [the smell's stuck in his nose, making it harder form him to smell anything else].

Pretty sure skunk juice can mess up your eyes and induce nausea. Probably ought to have some such effect.

Transform bad because of the mechanic: someone with 8 or 10 body would smell as bad.

Images or change environment can be heard calling....

I also think that you want to distance yourself a bit from the perceptions of a victim of the spray and think like a skunk for a moment.

The idea of the spray is to make people wary of approaching the skunk by making life unpleasant for them. As it is the skunk's power and it is the skunk trying to affect the game then it is almost a Mental Command (based on CON to reflect the constitutional ability to go beyond the stench and nausea and keep on threatening the skunk). Everything else is prety much SFX in this case, though change environment to the person to give other people bonuses to scent PER rolls would be a nice addition. If you wanted to go overboard then you might add in a scent flash and an activated sight flash (for the chance of it squirting in eyes) you'd be packing it in there.

However, as far as the skunk is concerned it is a way of saying "back off!"

Doc

I also think that you want to distance yourself a bit from the perceptions of a victim of the spray and think like a skunk for a moment.

The idea of the spray is to make people wary of approaching the skunk by making life unpleasant for them. As it is the skunk's power and it is the skunk trying to affect the game then it is almost a Mental Command (based on CON to reflect the constitutional ability to go beyond the stench and nausea and keep on threatening the skunk). Everything else is prety much SFX in this case, though change environment to the person to give other people bonuses to scent PER rolls would be a nice addition. If you wanted to go overboard then you might add in a scent flash and an activated sight flash (for the chance of it squirting in eyes) you'd be packing it in there.

However, as far as the skunk is concerned it is a way of saying "back off!"

Doc

True, but it's really no more a "mental command" than the bully's strong arm law of the playground. "Do [this] or I'll pound ya" is not mind control.

After doing some reading on exactly what a skunk's spray does and is used for by the skunk, I'm at a loss of how to model the stink aspect of it. The obvious parts are that the target will lose his sense of smell, as well everyone near him. Plus there is the possibility of temporary blindness if hit near the eyes and irritation of any other skin contact. But what about the plain ol' bad smell? Is that just SFX? Maybe there is a Cosmetic Transform that goes along with the spray that changes the target into a target that stinks, and the Darkness to Smell and Flash Sight Group just cover the obvious game mechanical effects of the attack.

Darkness and Negative Penalty Skill Levels

I like Darkness to the Smell Group. You might want to use Sticky and/or Uncontrolled with some handwavium so you can spray a mobile target and not just a hex. Sprinkle some Negative Penalty Skill Levels vs. Social Skills and maybe Concealment and Stealth?

True' date=' but it's really no more a "mental command" than the bully's strong arm law of the playground. "Do [this'] or I'll pound ya" is not mind control.[/Quote]

All depends on what you think a mental command is. Playground bullies rely on making their victims change their behaviour and do what the bully wants without the need to apply the force. If they need to beat you up every time they want your lunch money they often move onto easier prey.

I would say that this change in behaviour is exactly what Mental Command models in the system - though the name implies that it is done through paranormal means, it is possible to get the same results through more mundane methods.

beauty of the system is that it is possible to do it this way.

Maybe there is a Cosmetic Transform that goes along with the spray that changes the target into a target that stinks' date=' [/quote']

Something else I was going to suggest but transform, as pointed out by Sean varies by BODY stat whereas this should not - big targets will smell just as badly, just as quickly! :) Scent Images or change environment are probably better ideas...

Doc

All depends on what you think a mental command is. Playground bullies rely on making their victims change their behaviour and do what the bully wants without the need to apply the force. If they need to beat you up every time they want your lunch money they often move onto easier prey.

I would say that this change in behaviour is exactly what Mental Command models in the system - though the name implies that it is done through paranormal means, it is possible to get the same results through more mundane methods.

beauty of the system is that it is possible to do it this way.

True, and maybe it's just a personal quirk of mine, but if it's done by mundane means, I model it using mundane means. The bully bullies using his STR, therefore he buys STR and perhaps a Skill in Intimidation rather than a cleverly Modified Mind Control. After all, the bully is that strong and can, should he choose, beat you up. I feel it should be the same way with the skunk, because the skunk really does have stink spray and can, should he choose, spray you with it.

Something else I was going to suggest but transform, as pointed out by Sean varies by BODY stat whereas this should not - big targets will smell just as badly, just as quickly! :) Scent Images or change environment are probably better ideas...

Doc

Again, true. I've occasionally used a hours rule for Cosmetic Transforms that a certain number of dice is enough to change a human sized target, regardless of the target's BODY. But only for Cosmetic Transforms. This way things like spray paint, tracking bugs, etc, can work. Typically that number is around 4d6, sometimes 6d6 depending on how much of the target is actually changed.

The thing about Change Environment is that you'd have to make it UAA so you can make it stick to a target, but then Limit it so that some things in the area wont' be affected, which may include the target, but still allowing anyone to be a target.

As far as the idea of buying it as a mental command, I'd think of it more as a Presence Attack with bonus dice for having a loaded stripey butt aimed at the target (and even more bonus dice for use of a power later on, should he choose to fire). Possibly even buying extra PRE, offensive only, with gestures ('tail up').

According to Wikipedia, the main reasons skunks just threaten with their spray more often than firing is that they have a limited supply and it takes a while to recover the charges, as it were.

Part of me is starting to lean towards an Entangle on ECV as the basis ... you're paralyzed by the godawful stink unless you have the raw willpower to overcome it, followed by the 'you stink to high heaven' effect.

Doc

Maybe set the Transform to target DEX rather than BODY. Those with higher DEX will be harder to spray than those with lower DEX.

This is another example of an effect that IMO is ideal for a method that I use all the time: Treat Disadvantages as "Negative Powers" and let them be effected by Adjustment Powers. In this case, you're adding a Distinctive Feature: Stinks to High Heaven, to the hapless victim. So you buy it as a Drain - but instead of removing points of Power, you're adding points of Disad. How many points is this disad worth? Let's call it Not Concealable, Extreme Reaction - 25 Points, so 8d6 ought to do it (or 9 if you want to use Standard Effect). What if you roll less than 25? You get a not-quite-so-strong effect, say a Major Reaction, instead of an Extreme Reaction. Then the effect fades like any other Drain. Buy down the fade rate as desired, and maybe add on a limitation "Fades instantly if bathed in tomato juice."

This is another example of an effect that IMO is ideal for a method that I use all the time: Treat Disadvantages as "Negative Powers" and let them be effected by Adjustment Powers. In this case' date=' you're adding a Distinctive Feature: Stinks to High Heaven, to the hapless victim. So you buy it as a Drain - but instead of removing points of Power, you're adding points of Disad. How many points is this disad worth? Let's call it Not Concealable, Extreme Reaction - 25 Points, so 8d6 ought to do it (or 9 if you want to use Standard Effect). What if you roll less than 25? You get a not-quite-so-strong effect, say a Major Reaction, instead of an Extreme Reaction. Then the effect fades like any other Drain. Buy down the fade rate as desired, and maybe add on a limitation "Fades instantly if bathed in tomato juice."[/quote']

I'm extremely wary of activating this particular Summon: Can of Worms. It would be disturbingly easy for someone with an uncommon power SFX to use three dice of drain to give someone 'Vulnerability: 2x to (my SFX)' and go completely ape.

I'm extremely wary of activating this particular Summon: Can of Worms. It would be disturbingly easy for someone with an uncommon power SFX to use three dice of drain to give someone 'Vulnerability: 2x to (my SFX)' and go completely ape.

Or Psych Lim: In Love With Me

or Psych Lim: Fanatical Pacifist

Or Psych Lim: In Love With Me

or Psych Lim: Fanatical Pacifist

These examples just prove to me that my method is sound: It can be abused, so it fits perfectly with the rest of the system.

I didn't bother with additional details that weren't relevent to the skunk spray power, but since it's been brought up, Susceptibility and Vulnerability need to be treated as "Defensive Disadvantages" and so Adjustment Powers that affect them are halved, just like they would be for Defensive Powers. With that in mind, a Drain to cause a Vulnerability to one's main attack is no more abusive than an NND, or a Find Weakness with a high roll, or many other offensive constructs.

And it needs to be also noted that any contradictory Disads have to be "Drained" first, before the opposite one can be added. Example: if the target has Psych Lim: Fanatically Violent, and you want to give him the Disad, Psych Lim: Fanatical Pacifist, you'd first have to "Drain" off the violence, and then add on the pacifism.

And if the target has a Power that is "built on top of" the Disad being created, that power has to be drained away first. For example, if you want to give the Flash the disad Phys Lim: Legs Don't Work, you'd first have to Drain off all of his Running, and probably other powers based on his working legs.

And remember that Power Defense works against these Adjustment Powers, just like any other. In some cases, the GM might decide that an Adjustment Power that causes a Psych Lim, might work against Mental Defense instead, probably for no Advantage or Limitation.