Fantasy Hero

Spence

It's largely derived from the old one in the FH Companion, but significantly spruced up and added to. It's got more information about how to incorporate PCs and other weird stuff (like magic), more extensive rules for siege warfare, and so on. It's not highly complex; it's intended as an adjunct to an RPG session, not a wargame.

Question:

I know this is (possibly) an incredibly obvious question, but am I correct in assuming that after purchasing FH, existing heroes I've created can start to use Magic Spells (even in Star Hero campaigns)?

Much like is shown on Buffy & Angel, I think there should be loads of magic, even in contemporary settings.

I definitely don't wanna always have to be dealing w/ Old Oerth just to get to cast spells.

Re: Question:

Originally posted by Nightfly

I know this is (possibly) an incredibly obvious question, but am I correct in assuming that after purchasing FH, existing heroes I've created can start to use Magic Spells (even in Star Hero campaigns)?

You can make any type of campaign that you want to play. You do not need Fantasy Hero to add magic to your Star Hero game. All you have to do is allow players to purchase magic spells. The "official" campaign world follow a set pattern, but you can easily deviate from that pattern if you are using one of that world. You can make Star Hero campaigns with high magic or Fantasy Hero campaigns with no magic. It all depends on what type of game you want to run.

Much like is shown on Buffy & Angel, I think there should be loads of magic, even in contemporary settings.

I definitely don't wanna always have to be dealing w/ Old Oerth just to get to cast spells.

You can add magic to any game you want, whether you have the new FH, the old FH, or any other book but 5E. That's the beauty of the system. ;)

If you're asking, "Does FH have a lengthy and extensive section on Urban Fantasy/introducing magic into other genres and settings," then the answer is "no." It does have information about that subject, but it's not "extensive." There simply wasn't room to cover every possible subject in great detail. Urban Fantasy could easily take up a whole book, and hopefully someday we'll get a chance to write that book. ;)

Um...you do realize that "Magic" is no different than "Psionics" or "Superpowers" or "Supertech", correct?

Just come up with a few metarules for how Magic works in whatever campaign of whatever genre, and build power constructs to suit your metarules. You dont need FH for that; use the 5e rulebook.

Just to let you know,

_Don't_ get caught up in the "must have every splatbook" thinking that predominates AD&D. Sure the accessory books are all cool, brilliant, well written, chock full of crunchy goodness, with excellent artwork and what not, but all you ever need is 5th Ed.

you can build every monster, character, power, vehicle, and skill set with that FRED book, all you need is your own imagination.

Actually, what you need to do is to buy two of every book. One to keep shrinkwrapped in a climate-controlled vault, and one for use. Heck, even better would be three copies - that way, you have an extra copy for players who come over for a game...

Originally posted by AlHazred

Heck, even better would be three copies - that way, you have an extra copy for players who come over for a game...

Well, *I* wouldn't let them use ANY extra copies of a book I had... They should already have their own complete collection of 5th Edition... ;)

Well, *I* wouldn't let them use ANY extra copies of a book I had... They should already have their own complete collection of 5th Edition...

Very true, plus you don't get the gloat value when you show up to the game with the latest supplement for the 5th. The gloat value is good until they break down and buy it... I myself have 2 5th books (only duplicates I own), but the first of the two is an upside down printing (apparently bound backwards/upside down) so it is nice and wrapped away...

-Heroman