Champs - news of the world questions

Starlord

Re: Champs - news of the world questions

Got it.

I'll let you know the rest when I've finished. I see some art that I think is from our very own Sketchpad. I'll know more soon!

Huh? Who? What? Someone say my name? ...

;)

Okay. So here's my review. And it's short.

Content: :thumbup:x5

Content wise this book is great, it made me laugh out loud a couple of times "Knock Me Back" and "Inna gadda da Foxbat" are comedy gold. I was surprised by the changes to some of the teams and the various plots that played out. The updates were nice and the new characters were pretty cool. Not to spoil it for anyone but at least one of the "New" Villains has been seen before. The new guys filled some niches, and they are frightening.

It was nice to see the write ups for the current line up of the Sentinels and Justice Squadron.

Art: :thumbup:x2

With apologies to the artists involved, the fact is there were precious few new pictures involved and the art that was (re)used was great, but it would be nice to have new art. The cover with its nod to the Queen Album News of the World was well done. Some of the new characters look good IMO, and some not so much. But I'm not a negative person so I'll point out the one's I liked:

Hydro looked sleek and fast

Nocturne looked good

Diamond was great, but I can't remember if this was the pic from his Digital Hero Pic

Bravo was nice, he had the sneer and unlike most comic book heroes, he has chest hair. :) My only complaint is that his sword looks like the tip was broken off.

Dr. Vox was really good. I like the costume elements for her.

Greg Smith's work on Blink, Brawler, Flashover, and Superstar was great, though Flashover doesn't quite fit the description given on the character sheet.

The Drifter has a nice harried look.

Nato's Black Paladin from Shades of Black is awesome

Though not what I would consider a "Superheroic" Style piece, Baykok is frightening and cool at the same time.

Hurricane is cool but a little busy, ditto Spektr

The Shadow Queen is darn near perfect.

Layout: :thumbup:x4

What we expect from a Hero product; players section, followed by a GM's Vault. There are a few spelling errors that I saw. But it's easy to find things once again thanks to a really great index.

Overall: I give the book 4 (of five) :thumbup:s. It's a good read; just about every major player gets a mention, the updates on the characters are as good as I expected, the additional information and the Goodman Institute was what I'd hoped. The art was hit and miss; and while fresh work would be a plus, it didn't detract from my enjoyment of the read. I suspect if you like the CU you will be impressed by the book.

When discussing changes to the Champions on here, should we use a SPOILER tag?

One thing I found interesting in the book was the nod given to DC's "Batman and the Outsiders" with the departure of Nighthawk to form his own super team.

One thing I found interesting in the book was the nod given to DC's "Batman and the Outsiders" with the departure of Nighthawk to form his own super team.

Hah, I think I called that one a long time ago. . .

yes. and I'm sure some will be happy with the

Return of Pantera

Enforcer -- perhaps some people would prefer

the return of Poison, Great White, or Metallica instead. ;)

That's just crazy talk Steve, as long as there's a state fair, they never went away!

I should know too....

Could someone list the characters that are within the book? I haven't gotten mine yet' date=' but it's on the way :)[/quote']

Peter Anckorn

Nate Barns

DT Butchino ;)

Robert Cram Jr

Storn Cook

Andrew Cremens

Keith Curtis

Kurt Dinse

Jeff Hebert

Nick Ingeneri

Ted Kim

Eric Lofgren

Bryce Nakawaga

Greg Smith

Chris Stevens

Derrick Stevens

Mack Sztaba

Derrick Thomas

Nope. They added Der Westgote, and recently "recruited" Pantera ( more like "found her, beat her into obedience, and unleash her on their enemies occasionally" ).

I expect they will come to regret this, eventually. Pantera makes Scorpia seem nice and stable.