Golden Age Superheroes as Pulp Heroes

telemachus

Re: Golden Age Superheroes as Pulp Heroes

The question is would this campaign be as fun to play as it sounds. I would personally go for a pulp version of the Black Panther' date=' who needs very little translation. I would go more mystic witch doctor than super scientist to keep the noble savage archetype of the era. Everything else would stay the same: mystic root based powers and martial skills, hidden land of origin, royal perks.[/quote']

I ran a pulp campaign with homages to Superman (Hugo Danner), Wonder Woman (Daya Clayton), Hawkman (Percival Clayton), Kato and the Green Hornet (Kato was the competent one, the Green Hornet was an idiot but tough), and others. I thought the characters worked out well, but the campaign didn't have quite the legs I would have liked.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like that name. Is it a reference to something that I'm not catching, or just a name you came up with?

Scott Baker

The Challengers of the Unknown were a group of (comic book) adventurers created by Jack Kirby for DC back in the mid 50s. They had a noted influence on the origins of the Fantastic Four (another project Kirby had a hand in). Both groups were foursomes who resolved to band together after surviving a crash landing

There was even a nod to this during the DC/Marvel Amalgam project - Challengers of the Fantastic, a merging of the two teams.

Challengers of the Unknown were four adventurers who were nearly killed in a plane crash. They decide they are living on borrowed time and should do what they can to explore and adventure. They have been around awhile, adding members, saving the world, sometimes changing over to Vertigo horror.

CES

The Challengers of the Unknown were a group of (comic book) adventurers created by Jack Kirby for DC back in the mid 50s. They had a noted influence on the origins of the Fantastic Four (another project Kirby had a hand in). Both groups were foursomes who resolved to band together after surviving a crash landing

There was even a nod to this during the DC/Marvel Amalgam project - Challengers of the Fantastic, a merging of the two teams.

Thanks to both of you for enlightening me.

Scott Baker

I loved those Amalgam books. I must find them and read them again.

Thanks to both of you for enlightening me.

Scott Baker

There's a "DC Showcase Presents" volume reprinting Challengers of the Unknown that's currently in print right now (and a bargain at only $17). The big booksellers like Borders do a really good job of keeping them (and the Marvel "Essentials" series) in stock.

The Challengers were also notable for June Robbins, one of the most enlightened portrayals of a female character in comics of the period. She's introduced as a leading expert on computers and robotics, and not as the daughter, sister, or girlfriend of a male character.

Even better, when she says, once, "Yes, I'm a woman, get over it," the Challengers get over it and never doubt her intelligence or expertise in her chosen field.

Since heroic monsters have been mentioned,

Pulp Lobo?

Pulp.. Etrigan?

Pulp Groo.. er, nevermind.

Pulp Hulk.

While we'er on strongmen, pulp Luke Cage.

And how would you propose a pulp Ghostrider?

(snip)....While we'er on strongmen, pulp Luke Cage.

I actually think that Heroes for Hire would make an excellent transfer to the pulp world. You would have to really downplay the racism and sexism of the times, but it's not a bad match thematically.

Danny Rand (Iron Fist) has a pulp origin as it is. He was brought up in a lost city by Chinese mystics. I would eliminate the iron fist as a no range energy blast, and make it into a couple of extra dice of hand attack only usable with a certain strike maneuver or a find weakness roll with a certain strike. As stated in the Pulp Hero book, merely knowing Kung Fu is unusual enough for a Westerner in the pulp era.

Luke Cage is a little more difficult. He would limited in how he could interact in most situations because of his race. It might be interesting to have him act as a subordinate to Danny in public with the undersatnding that the relationship is more equal in private. His origin could remain essentially the same. I would substitute an early version of steroids or Human Growth Hormone with an impossibly long lasting effect for the rubber science energy field in the experiment that created him. His early background in Harlem would still stand for the most part.

Supporting charcters like Misty Knight and Collen Wing would be a little harder, but with some tweaking it could work.

relationship is more equal in private. His origin could remain essentially the same. I would substitute an early version of steroids or Human Growth Hormone with an impossibly long lasting effect for the rubber science energy field in the experiment that created him.

Ala Truth: Red, White and Black?

Ala Truth: Red' date=' White and Black[/i']?

I didn't like that book as much as I thought that I would, but that wouldn't be a bad way to go if you wanted to give a nod to Marvel continuity. You could say that it was an early version of the Super Soldier serum that was tested on Isiah Bradley in the 1940s. You of course would open the way for Captain Steve Rogers to make an appearance at some point. Some story potential there.

I also think that Clint Barton (Hawkeye) would make a good pulp character. He has the circus folk background, and there is a package deal in place for that. You just have to eliminate the more outrageous trick arrows.

Wilson Fisk (Kingpin) is a villain right out of the pulps.

I'm loving this campaign idea the more I think about it.

One of Luke Cage's old enemies comes to mind: Black Mariah. Her gang's gimmick was using official-looking vehicles and uniforms to pull off crimes. For example, some of the gang pulls a robbery--the heroes interfere and capture the criminals. And in record time, a "Black Mariah" aka a paddy wagon, drives up and the police take the captured gangsters and the loot away.

Ten minutes later, the real police show up.

One of Luke Cage's old enemies comes to mind: Black Mariah. Her gang's gimmick was using official-looking vehicles and uniforms to pull off crimes. For example, some of the gang pulls a robbery--the heroes interfere and capture the criminals. And in record time, a "Black Mariah" aka a paddy wagon, drives up and the police take the captured gangsters and the loot away.

Ten minutes later, the real police show up.

Then the players leap over the table and pummel the GM into paste for making them look stupid. :D

Seriously, I had a GM try something like this with me once and I didn't find it clever so much as really annoying.

Once=cool

All the time= bad GM no cookie

Once is cool if it's done well. Like if they give the player's a chance to figure out what's going on and such. Characters finding out only after the real cops show up, especially if the characters could be expected to tell the difference between the real thing and a fake, is bad GM no cookie.

Mostly it annoyed me however because the GM in question was usually better then cheap tricks like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Then the players leap over the table and pummel the GM into paste for making them look stupid. :D

Seriously, I had a GM try something like this with me once and I didn't find it clever so much as really annoying.

Luke Cage didn't appreciate it much either.

I'd recommend setting it up a couple of sessions ahead with news stories about the gang's tactics so that the PCs have fair warning.

Luke Cage didn't appreciate it much either.

I'd recommend setting it up a couple of sessions ahead with news stories about the gang's tactics so that the PCs have fair warning.

I also suggest GMs wishing to use this idea wear protective clothing, a protective barrier of some sort might also be helpful. :D

• 2 years later...

I'm currently working on a new pulp era international science hero team there all supposed to be individual heroes of there countries who band together at first to rescue other kidnapped scientist then for various adventures.

currently i have

DOKTOR OPTIK German optical science genius master of light who wears remarkable goggles that show him all the hidden secrets of crime and wielding a stroboscopic pistol that dazzles or stuns his enemies.

JADE FIST oriental master of the martial and medical arts the hands that heal and the hands that harm.

LA VOIX Stunningly beautiful French singer/performer with an uncanny vocal range but deep down just wants to be an engineer secret creator of advanced audio equipment.

PROFESSOR DANTE Exiled Italian master chemist the world Re-known pharmacologist and authority on the enhancement of human potential through chemical means.

and

SIR ARTEMIS HILL archeologist, linguist and charter of the unknown and bizarre, an explorer of lost worlds and finder of impossible things