Martial Arts sub-genre settings?

Dauntless

What kind of martial arts campaigns do most people here do?

Historical Realistic - For example the Warring States period in Japan, the 3 Kingdoms period in China, the Manchu rebellion, etc

Historical Fantasy(Wuxia) - In a historical vein, but with more fantastic abilities. This also includes non-earth fantasy settings or mythical settings like Storm Riders or Hero

Modern Fantasy - This would be something like Jet Li's The One, or Black Mask. Fantastic Martial Arts prowess but in modern or recent settings

Fantasy Realistic - A non-earth setting, but still with realistic martial moves

Modern Realistic - Ala Jackie Chan or Steven Seagal cops & robbers/espionage

Cinematic - I'd call this your Van Damme or Chuck Norris style of fight scenes, not too realistic but high on flash

Other - For example martial arts in the future, where the focus is not so much on the sci-fi, but the martial aspects. Or martial arts horror like Big Trouble in Little China

I'd personally like to do two settings. One campaign is set in the Boxer Rebellion/Manchu overthrow period with a highly realistic yet still cinematic feel to it (no wirework kinda stuff, just what real human bodies can do on the level of Shaolin Monks...ie practically superhuman). I like this time period because it introduces guns...but rather simple ones that are still single shot and slow to reload. The other is in a sci-fi setting in the near future. The problem is that I'm trying to come up with a reason why anyone would do a lot of martial arts in the future.

I liked Dune's answer by having personal force shield which gave more resistance the more energy the attack had...but my world isn't as technologically advanced as that (it's about 2100-2150AD). Also in this world, the main fighting characters are both genetically engineered and have nano enhancements making them major bad @$$es in HTH combat.

I thought about introducing a kind of alien that hitchhikes onboard starships that have made jumps. These aliens are on a different dimensional level than our own, and are somehow astral in nature. I then theorized that the only way to combat them would be through martial combat. The rationale being that it wasn't actually the weapons or fisticuffs doing damage, but rather the warrior's spirit and essence (his Ki or Chi if you will). Ranged attacks, having no "spirit" embedded in them are harmless to these aliens, including energy attacks.

While this explains combat against the aliens, it doesn't explain martial combat against other humans. A part of me also thinks it's a bit too fantastical for my tastes, since I wanted the majority of the sci-fi setting to be as realistic as possible while still telling an interesting story.

I've run low level Wuxia games - both set in Ming era China and Sengoku era Japan and played in a modern era martial arts game (with a sort of BTiLC feel).

I like these sort of games since a) everybody seems to like martial artists and B) it places the emphasis on what the CHARARCTERS can do, rather than on what gear they have acquired.

With regard to your SciFi game: a simple premise - you have a highly advanced and probably hi-population density civilisation. You think they are going to let people wander around with firearms? On spaceships? That sounds about as smart as letting people carry firearms onto planes or cruise ships.

If only the military carry much in the way of lethal weaponry, then martial arts or cyber enhancements with "useful" functions such as increased STR, etc might become the preferred way of settling things at street level, with the occasional illegal fiream thrown into the mix.

That means lasers or big blades built into your forearms are probably out, but leaves plenty of other possibilities.

cheers, Mark

Try making the Guns too lethal. Star Trek TOS "they glow, then they evaporate" level of power.

There is no stun setting. There is no heat setting. Just a "Whoops, where'd the body go", 20d6 RKA. Heck make it AoE too, just for grins and easy hit possibilities.

Everyone with a gun has Mutually Assured Destruction possibilities, so nobody uses their guns. You can buy lightning reflexes and try to go first, but eventually, someone will spend more, be faster, and poof, you're gone.

Just like in the cold war, nobody wants to be the one that ends up gone. So, everyone settles things with their fists instead.

D

I'm running a realistic fantasy campaign starting this weekend. It too is a lot like the Three Musketeers, but with kung fu in addition to rapier fighting. No magic though; this is a "scientific" world. Actually, most of my questions posted on the various boards were asked so that I could get help running this campaign.

• 4 years later...
Guest steamteck

Re: Martial Arts sub-genre settings?

both my fantasy and science fiction game have low level Wuxia mixed in with the other oddities and powers. My supers game also same deal.

My most successful campaign was a chanbara/Sengoku-style samurai campaign. THe deal was, however, that none of the PCs really wanted to be samurai...so the "primary" NPC was. It was a most successful campaign, replete with limb-chopping, ninjas, yakuza, dueling, murder-in-the-bath, gambling den melodrama, etc.

Great times.

The other is in a sci-fi setting in the near future. The problem is that I'm trying to come up with a reason why anyone would do a lot of martial arts in the future.

This comes up fairly often. My best suggestion is to be really stingy with ammo for ranged weapons. You could steal the bullet tax idea from SLA Industries, where each round is insanely expensive, or implement a totalitarian government that has strict controls on guns.

• 2 weeks later...

A way to deal with guns might be this: have the PCs' martial arts include moves to take away their opponents' guns - something along the lines of Krav Maga or Bujinkan Taijutsu (ninjutsu).

When I was doing ninjutsu we were told you don't have to beat a bullet, you only have to beat the guy with the gun. We were also taught that if someone shoves a gun in your face pretend to go to jelly (probably not a lot of pretending required) to make the guy lower his guard and then you can take it away from him. Involved covering the gun hand, wrist locks and making sure the bugger couldn't pull the trigger.

(I hate living in Oxford. There's nothing decent going on here and I can't drive to where it is. Otherwise I'd still be going to lessons.)

This idea kind of goes the other way, but I can't get away from the sound of it:

Cowboy Wuxia

Every cowpoke his own philosopher . . . doing incredible, physics-bending gunplay . . .

~1820 Texas/Mexico

As children cowfolk study the ways of the Vaquero Masters, learning the arts of gun and knife play (La Verdadera Destreza or the 'True Skill'), Horsemanship (Equitación) and Livestock Handling (Name to be worked out later, this is largely off the top of my head). Once ready they become Vaquero in the service of an Empresario (Land Baron).

You've got rogue Vaquero, evil Emprisario, Banditos, political intrigue and Gun fu

I think you've got something there.

I think there might be something fundementally wrong with my brain. The quick throwaway idea from yesterday has been festering so...

Background

In 1582 Don Jerionino Sanchez de Carranza disgusted by what he perceived as the decadence of the Spanish upper classes crafted his seminal work “Of the Philosophy of the arms, of its art, and the Christian offence and defense” which outlined the underlying techniques and philosophy of “Le Verdadera Destreza”. Destreza for short was a system of combat largely based on math and geometry and was often referred to by practitioners as “The True Skill”.

Don Carranza’s student Don Luis Pacheco de Narvaez embraced and expanded upon the original work and began including the use of firearms. Don Narvaez’s teachings made him somewhat unpopular in civic settings so he retreated to his familial estates. Taking Vaquero as students the philosophy and practice of Destreza swiftly spread across rural Spain and then with Vaquero transplanted via the hacienda system to the new world.

The Basic Rules

A Vaquero never lies.

A Vaquero never cheats.

A Vaquero always respects his parents and his elders.

A Vaquero always respects his freedom, and the men and women, both dead and alive, who have protected his freedom.

A Vaquero believes in God…not because of any book, preacher or church, but because of his own personal experiences. He always respects the views of others, no matter what name they call God. He is always cognizant that wisdom can be found in all Faiths.

A Vaquero always maintains an understanding of and respect for History.

A Vaquero always shows integrity.

A Vaquero always has honor.

A Vaquero is always prepared for any contingency.

A Vaquero never sells his saddle.

He never draws facing the sun.

A Vaquero won't be wronged, he won't be insulted, and he won't be laid a hand on. He doesn't do these things to other people and he expects the same from them.

The closest I've come to running a martial arts game was a horror setting where we fought an ancient Chinese mystic with legions of Kung Fu gangsters and a horde of various alchemically-created zombies hidden in a lair reminiscent of Lo Pan's. The PCs tended more toward 'good-guy monsters and mystics' than martial artists, though. If I recall we had a Kitsune, a guy who saw dead people, a half-fey, and a goblin who could eat anything. At least the Kitsune knew some martial arts.