Urban Fantasy Recommendations

Steve Long

Re: Urban Fantasy Recommendations

I'd add Flying Dutch, also by Tom Holt, and Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett.

BTW, the Lord Darcy books are set in the 1960's (the date is given in the narrative of most/all of the stories); it feels, somewhat, like they're set earlier, but that's because magic has replaced technology (as we understand the term) and the result is a somewhat Edwardian to between-the-world-wars feel.

I have saved the best for last; IMO the best urban fantasy story ever, and one of my all-time top-of-the-line favorites is The Wizard of the Pigeons by Megan Lindstrom. Good luck finding it, but if you do, grab it immediately.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to recommend Garrett, PI books by Glen Cook for a great urban fantasy. Hard boiled PI solving crimes in a fantasy setting. Most of the books are pretty good.

John Belairs The House With a Clock in Its Walls is a great book with modern witches, ghosts and such. There are several books that feature the lead character Lewis Barnavelt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_House_with_a_Clock_in_Its_Walls

Also, the Friday the 13 series was a great urban horror fantasy. The TV series was not connected to the Jason character, but was about 2 young people who inherited a antiques shop, only to discover the items were cursed, and now had to get them all back.

Decent show actually, as was pretty scary for a TV show, and often didn't have happy endings....

I would have to recommend Garrett' date=' PI books by Glen Cook for a great urban fantasy. Hard boiled PI solving crimes in a fantasy setting. Most of the books are pretty good.[/quote']

With respect, I have to disagree with this recommendation. While they're great books, and have a marvelous noir feel to them, they aren't really "urban fantasy" as that term is used. They are not set in the modern world or anything even close. The setting is definitely pseudo-medieval (as most fantasy stories from Dunsany onwards), with nothing of technology (or tech-replacing magic) to them.

A great read, but not IMO what Steve is looking for. :)

Well, after checking the local used bookstore first and having almost no luck (one Dresden Files book), I just placed a nice large order with Alibris for various of these books (no doubt the first of several such orders :) ). Thanx for the suggestions and feel free to keep 'em comin'! :hex:

Well' date=' after checking the local used bookstore first and having almost no luck (one Dresden Files book), I just placed a nice large order with Alibris for various of these books (no doubt the first of several such orders :) ). Thanx for the suggestions and feel free to keep 'em comin'! :hex:[/quote']

I've got three copies of Chase the Morning if you want me to send you one...my wife is putting pressure on my shelf space!

:)

Doc

Thanx for the recommendations so far, everyone!

I'm not sure I can ever read these. I morally object to them on the grounds that Kurtz should write more Deryni novels, dammit, not this other stuff. ;)

Yeah, but if you want to read about reincarnated Templar hermetic ritual magicians fighting evil Tibetan Nazi black magicians in Scotland, there's no better source.

Oh, yes -- it'll be hard to find, but look for Runespear by Melinda Snodgrass and Victor Milan (I think). Set right before WW2, it tells of a SS-sponsored expedition to Greenland in search of Gungnir. Very pulpish, very different (these aren't your typical fictional Nazis), and some truly amazing characters. It's a great book.

Another "I cant believe these have not been mentioned yet" is Michael Scott Rohan's Chase the Morning; Gates of Noon and Cloud Castles.

The first of those is the best and the other two dont add too much as they essentially are variations of the first novel. Chase the Morning is one of my favourite novels.

Doc

I'll add my recommendation to Doc Democracy's. They are beautiful books and amazingly adventurous modern fantasies.

And I dunno if this counts, but A. Merritt's Burn Witch Burn, Creep Shadow Creep, and The Fox Woman and Others are all incredibly well-done dark fantasy/horror tales set in the pulp era. Jack Williamson's Darker Than You Think is another great pulp-era 'modern fantasy'.

Well' date=' after checking the local used bookstore first and having almost no luck (one Dresden Files book), I just placed a nice large order with Alibris for various of these books (no doubt the first of several such orders :) ). Thanx for the suggestions and feel free to keep 'em comin'! :hex:[/quote']

I coulda loaned you most of these.

I definitely appreciate the offer, John, but when I'm reading novels for research (and quotes), I tend to mark them up and be pretty rough on them, so I wouldn't want to borrow anyone's copies. They're cheap enough on Alibris that I don't mind the investment... and this way I can keep the ones I like!

Compared to writing the LOTR RPG, this is pretty inexpensive. For that I went out and bought all-new sets of all of Tolkien's Middle-Earth fiction so I could mark them up and write in the margins.

Is there going to be a thread going on this supplement in regards to suggestions for sections or topics? I have some ideas about it that have been rattling around in my head as I try to come up with a homebrew urban fantasy campaign setting of my own. Whether I ever get to run it, well, that's another matter.

I can tell you one thing, though, it won't have friggin' Jedi in it.

I've got three copies of Chase the Morning if you want me to send you one...my wife is putting pressure on my shelf space!

Doc

Heck, I'd take/buy one if you were willing to part with it!

EDIT: And how could I have forgotten Manly Wade Wellman? My brain is drying out in my old age. :doi:

Good on you for mentioning him, Captain Obvious. Rep to you!

EDIT: And how could I have forgotten Manly Wade Wellman? My brain is drying out in my old age. :doi:

Thanks. You're the one that turned me on to his stuff, IIRC.

I don't know if other gaming books is what you wanted, but I highly recommend the Everlasting series. They were originally written by Steven Brown, who used to work for White Wolf and as far as I know now runs a gaming store down in Georgia. I found them far superior to the World of Darkness in terms of world building.

Of course, I use the HERO system to run the game due to the, IMO, inferior system (although basically a cross between HERO and WoD). The setting itself is very cool, though, and the ideas in it are pretty interesting.

Nightshade

PS I just realized that I am basically advertising someone else's products on the HERO boards. If this is a problem, let me know and I'll edit. Thanks.

Sold to the man, for free. Drop me an address in a PM and I'll send you a copy - I'll send Steve the most beat up copy - it's yours Steve use and abuse at will.

My wife will be happy - I will only have one copy of the book!

Doc

How did I forget this?

• Books of Magic (comic) -- by John Ney Rieber, Jane Yolen, & Neil Gaiman
  • Books of Magic (novelizations) -- by Carla Jablonski. Although the comic is decidedly better, the novels - aimed at the teen market - offered a slightly different take on the basic premise that made them worth reading as well.

there were two spin-off or equal series as well. I'd skip Books of Magick: Life During Wartime by Si Spencer unless your a fan of "odd purely for the sake of being odd" - but The Names of Magic by Dylan Horrocks wasn't bad and provided a lot of addition background info on the main character and the magical world.

I definitely appreciate the offer, John, but when I'm reading novels for research (and quotes), I tend to mark them up and be pretty rough on them, so I wouldn't want to borrow anyone's copies. They're cheap enough on Alibris that I don't mind the investment... and this way I can keep the ones I like!

Compared to writing the LOTR RPG, this is pretty inexpensive. For that I went out and bought all-new sets of all of Tolkien's Middle-Earth fiction so I could mark them up and write in the margins.

Heck, after my wife's gotten hold of one, you'd be hard pressed to do any additional noticeable damage :P - but I must admit, it is nicer to have one's own copies for later perusal.