Urban Fantasy Recommendations

Steve Long

Re: Urban Fantasy Recommendations

Just thought of something, it might have been mentioned but

Think Disney (I'm serious)

Gargoyles...

Man that show was PERFECT for this, it really was...

Wouldn't that count as Superpowered Urban Fantasy?

And yes, I loved the show too. Great protagonists, great cast all the way around, and Xanatos was the best d*mn villain I've ever seen anywhere.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One just occurred to me, and I don't know if he's been mentioned yet: Christopher Moore. His stuff is very quirky and funny; he strikes me as the Terry Pratchett of the urban fantasy set. He has two books about vampires, but he gets into a lot of other mythologies, as well.

A Dirty Job, about taking on Death's workload, is an excellent read, and should yield a lot of material regarding an "otherness" that most people don't notice.

kinda surprised these havent been mentioned yet

Bureau 13 novels by Nick Pollotta, based on the RPG

Bureau 13 Judgement Night

Bureau 13 Doomsday Exam

Bureau 13 Full Moonster

Bureau 13 Damned Nation

always loved nicks stuff, including Illegal Aliens

hes also written several of the Deathlands books

and at least a couple Mack Bolan books

• Poul Anderson - Operation Chaos, Operation Luna
  • Robert Heinlein - Magic Inc. (Published as a Double with Waldo
  • Robin McKinley - Sunshine
  • Charlie Stross - The Jennifer Morgue, The Atrocity Archives
  • Aaron Allston - Galatea in 2D
  • Scott Westerfeld - The Midnighters Trilogy
  • Christopher Moore - Coyote Blue, Island of the Sequined Love Nun, Practical Demon Keeping, and others

kinda surprised these havent been mentioned yet

Bureau 13 novels by Nick Pollotta, based on the RPG

Bureau 13 Judgement Night

Bureau 13 Doomsday Exam

Bureau 13 Full Moonster

Bureau 13 Damned Nation

always loved nicks stuff, including Illegal Aliens

hes also written several of the Deathlands books

and at least a couple Mack Bolan books

We knew you had called dibs on them and we didn't want to steal your thunder :nonp:

I don't think I've ever heard the term before.

Gee, I guess my wife has been reading chick lit for so long, I'd assumed the term had wide exposure. Entertainment Weekly usually reserves part of their (short) book review section for chick lit books.

Is chick lit aggro-feminist or something?

No way. At their core, they're deeply traditional. Girl meets boy, girl loses boy, girl gets boy. I think chick lit readers would be offended if somehow the girl didn't get the boy; it'd violate the primary convention of the genre. It'd be like a Clive Cussler novel in which nothing manly or impossible happened.

Is there something separating chick lit from romance novels?

It's like this: romance novels are published by a Romance Novel publisher. Harlequin is the most famous, but there are several. Fabio, the blond long-haired Italian guy used to be the cover boy on every third book, generally holding a fetching lass in a lusty embrace. They're mass-market paperback size, usually on really cheap paper, with small print. They are accordingly cheap, on the order of $4.99.

Chick lit is always in trade paperback size, features higher-quality paper, comes from "normal" publishing houses, and has pastel-colored covers with cartoony illustrations on the front. They cost on the order of $10.95 (less at Costco & Target). My impression is that most chick lit is either written by Brits or American Anglophiles, and the majority of the heroines seem to work in the media (lots of publishing, advertising, television, and such). I get the idea that they're better written and not quite as predictable as romance novels. They're supposedly a little hipper, a little more knowing, a little more contemporary.

Bridget Jones' Diary is THE chick lit, the ur-chick lit. Chick lit entered my world when Bridget Jones' Diary hit the best-seller list. When Bridget Jones' Diary came out, my wife stopped reading romance novels & started reading chick lit.

Or is it just a fancy name for "almost a romance novel but with magic or sci-fi or something thrown in"?

Most chick lit is straight-up normal fiction. But it turns out that a bunch of chick lit authors must have been BTVS fans (or been White Wolf RPG-ers?), because after BTVS became a cult hit, the wife started finding & reading vampire chick lit and werewolf chick lit and magic chick lit.

Here's my bucket: my wife's not a gamer, but in the "hope springs eternal" department, I think there's an outside chance I might be able to interest her in our little hobby, as long as it's something like the Aisling Grey novels.

But I'm going to have to get her to brief me on the stories, because... I'm just not going to read them.

LOL...thanks for the explanation. Yeah' date=' it sounds like an upgraded version of romance novels then. Like a graphic novel to a comic book.[/quote']

Well, there's far less purple prose, and, in general, less sex. The heroines are also more likely to be based on someone the author knows, rather than someone she wishes she could be. I'd say calling them an evolved form would be a more accurate statement than "upgrade," but that's just splitting hairs.

Most chick lit is straight-up normal fiction. But it turns out that a bunch of chick lit authors must have been BTVS fans (or been White Wolf RPG-ers?)' date=' because after BTVS became a cult hit, the wife started finding & reading [i']vampire [/i]chick lit and werewolf chick lit and magic chick lit.

I've heard those latter called "Occult Romance". Once tried to look at one (who knows, it might be good). Oh my lord, was it awful. Soppy romance + the worst excesses of Laurel Hamilton = :sick:

Don't miss the Terry Pratchett books, especially Nightwatch, Thunk! and Going Postal. Heavier on the Fantasy side, but an interesting look at adventures in a fantasy world with a modern Urban sensibility.

Also, Undead and Unwed and the other books in the series is a weirdly entertaining comic take on life as a modern female vampire.

Darklost and Mick Farren's other vampire books are a very pulpish / comic bookish take on magic in 21st Century America, pretty interesting as a potential game setting.

Ooh' date=' good catch, although the first one is actually spelled 'Witchblade' IIRC. Great stories though. Never saw the TV show, I heard mixed things about it - anyone out there see it?[/quote']

I kinda liked the TV series, wished they'd gotten it to a resolultion before it was dropped. I kinda like Yancy Butler, though.

Some of Dean Koontz's material' date=' while generally considered horror, veers into the fantastic on occasion. Certainly he's had a 'fallen angel/risen demon' story at one point although I don't remember the name. Anyone else recall it?[/quote']

I believe that was Hideaway.

CES