Adonis and his ladies (New Mastermind and henchwomen)

Hermit

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Adonis and his ladies (New Mastermind and henchwomen) I'm more worried about the "Female Players beat chauvinist GM roundly about the head and shoulders" consequence of the plot actually

II don't see this as any more or less sexist than the "queen bee" trope wherein an alluring woman uses her powers of charm, seduction, and often pheromones to make a harem of willing men do their bidding. Nor is it any more or less sexist than Charlie's Angles turned on its head to be about the villains. Besides, with Adonis you've got beefcake and cheesecake together. Sounds like equal opportunity objectification.

And he's a lot less Creepy than the Biomancer, who is my version of this. 

Personally, I think that if you're going to do a character like this you have to tilt more towards campy than creepy in the interest of your players having a good time rather than being made uncomfortable. Unless being discomfited is their idea of a good time.

For me, the fun thing about Adonis is that it's so easy to make up adventure ideas for him. He's such a compelling character idea, at least to me he is. He's totally a criminal, and a rather unhinged one at that, but he's an understandable criminal. Those are the best adversaries, the ones where you can sort of understand and somewhat sympathize with where they're coming from.

That and I find it incredibly fun and easy to come up with henchwomen for him. I've even made my own version of Adonis' game stats to more closely conform with what I'm comfortable with while mostly sticking with Hermit's backstory and description. I rearranged his abilities so his alpha male just boosts his abilities against other men, and he's actually LESS capable against women.

Heh.  Loved this thread the first time around, and never did post here how I eventually used them.

Over a number of sessions I ran a bunch of solo hero-vs-villainess fights, matching each PC to one of Adonis' ladies whose powers or personality fit that character (or in one case, the player herself).  Neither the PC heroes nor the players had any idea the ladies were all connected in any way.

Then, one of the female PCs was investigating a "religion" that her boyfriend's secretary was getting involved in.  When two of the PCs went to investigate the Temple of Aphrodite, they were quite surprised to find a collection of their foes living there.

My favorite part was when I added Candy Striper to Adonis' group and pitted her against a PC superheroine (Sentinel) who worked as a paramedic in secret ID and whose paramedic partner (Charlie) had an unrequited crush on Sentinel.  (Sentinel had no attraction to Charlie whatsoever.)  But when CS started flirting with Charlie, and he flirted back, Sentinel got quite upset.  And in later sessions when Charlie started crushing on Candy Striper instead of Sentinel, the player got royally pissed off.

Heh.  Loved this thread the first time around, and never did post here how I eventually used them.

Over a number of sessions I ran a bunch of solo hero-vs-villainess fights, matching each PC to one of Adonis' ladies whose powers or personality fit that character (or in one case, the player herself).  Neither the PC heroes nor the players had any idea the ladies were all connected in any way.

Then, one of the female PCs was investigating a "religion" that her boyfriend's secretary was getting involved in.  When two of the PCs went to investigate the Temple of Aphrodite, they were quite surprised to find a collection of their foes living there.

My favorite part was when I added Candy Striper to Adonis' group and pitted her against a PC superheroine (Sentinel) who worked as a paramedic in secret ID and whose paramedic partner (Charlie) had an unrequited crush on Sentinel.  (Sentinel had no attraction to Charlie whatsoever.)  But when CS started flirting with Charlie, and he flirted back, Sentinel got quite upset.  And in later sessions when Charlie started crushing on Candy Striper instead of Sentinel, the player got royally pissed off.

That is utterly brilliant. I assume that Candy Striper was one of your own creations? Can you post it here?

I just came across this thread after the newest necromancy.

The last time I ran Champions, some 15 years ago, I had a secret master-villain who somewhat resembled a much darker Adonis.

He had cloned his original female minion, and granted both the original and all her clones super-powers.

The game didn't continue long enough for the players to twig to what was going on or encounter the master villain.

If I ever pick that game up again, Adonis will probably replace my much-less-fun villain.

Brilliant work, all. Thanks for the fun read.