"Sense Motive" In Hero

nexus

Forgive me if this is foolish question, but what would you consider the best Skill to simulate a character that's good at reading emotional states, hidden motivations or reactions through body language, expression and other nonverbal cues? Nothing as detailed as Telepathy but more like hunches such as "He's hiding something", "That question seems to make her nervous" or "I think he has some strong feeling about this subject."

Re: "Sense Motive" In Hero

Forgive me if this is foolish question' date=' but what would you consider the best skill for a character skilled in reading people, like their emotional state, possibly hidden motivations or reaction? Not as details as telepathy but more like hunches such as "He's hiding something", "That question seems to make her nervous" or "I think he has some strong feeling about this subject."[/quote']

Believe it or not, we built this as "Analyze: Motive."

Resistance to Persuasion and/or Acting - depending on what skill your GM makes you roll to lie convincingly. Very few people are really good at seeing through a skilled liars lies - thats why outrageous lies have penalties to their Persuasion/Acting roll depending on not only the liar and their lie, but also on the circumstances and the one being lied to. Instead of inventing another skill, just penalize the other person's roll.

Believe it or not' date=' we built this as "Analyze: Motive."[/quote']

Yep, that's exactly what I did too. I have a PC (Lamoniak du Moncu) who has this precise skill and uses it almost constantly: it has not proven unbalancing - in fact, as GM, I find it a handy tool to steer the PCs in the right direction.

cheers, Mark

I'm not sure I can continue to play Hero if they're going to make things so complicated.

Yep. Next thing you know all defenses will simply be one power: "Defense" define it as you like, and all attacks will just be "Attack." The world will tilt off its axis. Wait for it. Next? The ultimate skill? Not a novel, just a note page. I make a skill roll. Doesn't matter what it is. Just "Skill." :ugly:

Yep. Next thing you know all defenses will simply be one power: "Defense" define it as you like' date=' and all attacks will just be "Attack." The world will tilt off its axis. Wait for it. Next? The ultimate skill? Not a novel, just a note page. I make a skill roll. Doesn't matter what it is. Just "Skill." :ugly:[/quote']

And most of RPG.net would still think it was too complicated and character generation and combat took 19 hours and a scientific calculator at a minimum.

And most of RPG.net would still think it was too complicated and character generation and combat took 19 hours and a scientific calculator at a minimum.

*chuckle* Wow, thanks Nexus. I needed a good laugh. And a reminder of just how grossly uneducated most people are about the game.

Haven't you heard? In Sixth Edition everything will be built off of "Transform"- if you want to shoot someone, you just Transform target into target with a bullet hole in him. To move, you just Transform, yourself to yourself over there. To learn something, you transform yourself into yourself plus one fact.

(I can't take credit for this- it's all Derek Hiemforth's fault.) dw

Streetwise, sometimes.

Conversation, sometimes.

PS: beat cop, sometimes. (a.k.a. pick the perp)

different genres will of course have their specific replacements for specific uses.

Like replacing High Society for streetwise for some people.

Or PS: Military Intelligence Officer or PS: Spook

If you believe the latest intel about micro-expressions, having rapid on your sight sense might be very useful in reading people. Ditto if you have a superpower that lets you sense changes in conductivity in peoples skin at a distance...also reading changes in peoples heartbeat and breathing rates...

• 4 weeks later...

Then there is Transfromage... this is the power that one aquires that turns something from something into cheese. Very, very stinky cheese.

Im not a real fan of 5th edition but will play it if I need too. 4th is less wordy. I've been looking for a regular trip attack, and found it in my old fantasy hero edition 1 notes.

Where does one find a Trip attack in in 5th edition Revised?

Then there is Transfromage... this is the power that one aquires that turns something from something into cheese. Very, very stinky cheese.

Im not a real fan of 5th edition but will play it if I need too. 4th is less wordy. I've been looking for a regular trip attack, and found it in my old fantasy hero edition 1 notes.

Where does one find a Trip attack in in 5th edition Revised?

First, rep for "Transfromage." About the funniest thing I've seen today. SECONDUS, "Trip" is in the Combat section as part of a Martial Maneuver. It contains the element "Target Falls." Pretty straight forward.

Thia: thank you for the rep boost. I promise to look it up later in the martial arts section.

Snow problem. Like I said, it's an element of a Martial Arts maneuver, should be easy enough to track down. :) And you're very welcome. Now if I could get some rep, that'd be great. Sheesh. :ugly:

Well I looked at the martial maneuvers section 5th edition revised. I see 3 examples of target falls. These are example of throw maneuvers. Is this the same thing? REally want I want to do is mimic the fantasy trip advanced melee spell called "trip". I found Trip as a -2 ocv maneuver on an old fantasy hero first edition sheet.

Also pole weapon fighters have a maneuver designed to trip an opponent.

What confuses me IS that I think of this maneuver as a TRIP as opposed to a THROW, is that THROWING requires 2 hands and causes some forward movement, where the target usually ends up prone in an adjacent hex.

This is as opposed to TRIPPING which knocks the legs out from some one and causes them to go straight DOWN to the ground. Maybe its called something else?

Where are those rules in 5th edition Revised?