Alternate Earth/WWYCD - Enough?

Fedifensor

Folks, we've got a ton of Alternate Earth and What Would Your Character Do? threads floating around here. They all basically say, "talk about your character", which is one of the top ten no-nos for gamers. How many times have you groaned inwardly when someone has said to you, "Let me tell you about my character..."? One thread is fun, a few threads are fine...but roughly half of the threads for the Champions board (including 8 of the 10 most recent) is too much...

How about we hold back on talking about our characters for a bit, and talk about something else for a change?

Re: Alternate Earth/WWYCD - Enough?

1) Don't open threads you don't want to read.

2) Start conversations you want to have.

I've been doing #1, and some of #2. Howegver, while I've started or contributed to a few conversations that I want to have, spamming the board with a bunch of topics just to try and overcome the sheer number of WWYCD threads isn't good board etiquette (and I'm not interested in fighting fire with fire).

There's been some very interesting threads of late:

* How do you improve your HERO-fu?

* Brainstorming European bad guys?

* Quote of the Week from my gaming group... (a personal favorite!)

* Query's Art & Stuff Thread

* Giant Brick Tricks

Any other threads people can suggest that may have been overlooked?

Folks, we've got a ton of Alternate Earth and What Would Your Character Do? threads floating around here. They all basically say, "talk about your character", which is one of the top ten no-nos for gamers. How many times have you groaned inwardly when someone has said to you, "Let me tell you about my character..."? One thread is fun, a few threads are fine...but roughly half of the threads for the Champions board (including 8 of the 10 most recent) is too much...

How about we hold back on talking about our characters for a bit, and talk about something else for a change?

Like what? Examples please. Now I agree, some of these threads are sort of the same, but others may cause you to think about what your character is really like. And why is it a no-no to talk about your character, as long as you let others talk about theirs? I find it interesting as long as there is no monopolization. I like hearing about other characters on this board - and in person. It's even better here because generally others do not go on and on not letting you get a word in edgewise. You can even skip a post without being rude or hurting others feelings. (not that I would ever do that:rolleyes:) Again, I like the WWYCD posts. I find them interesting. I like getting a feeling what other types of characters there are out there. If you want other posts, give examples of what you want, especially by posting one yourself. Just my $0.02 worth.(before inflation)

I happen to enjoy WWYCD threads, both reading and writing them; in fact, they're about the only thread that I'm guaranteed to read all the posts of, here. :)

(If it makes you feel better, though, I have other things to do this afternoon, so won't be adding any further posts to them for a while...)

Like what? Examples please.

Looks like we posted at about the same time. See my previous post for examples.

Now I agree, some of these threads are sort of the same, but others may cause you to think about what your character is really like. And why is it a no-no to talk about your character, as long as you let others talk about theirs? I find it interesting as long as there is no monopolization.
The problem is that, at least this morning when I came to the board and saw nothing but WWYCD-type threads, there has been a monopolization. I think the threads can be fun...in moderation. But it's at the point where the board is filled to overflowing with them, and it looks like the people starting the topics are running out of ideas. I fully expect the next one to be something like, "Illusio makes your character look like a fire hydrant, and there are a pack of dogs nearby. WWYCD?"

Again, I like the WWYCD posts. I find them interesting. I like getting a feeling what other types of characters there are out there. If you want other posts, give examples of what you want, especially by posting one yourself. Just my $0.02 worth.(before inflation)
While it would be a stretch to say I like all of the WWYCD threads, I do find several to be interesting. In fact, if there were less of them, I'd probably like them a lot more, as they would be new and different instead of treading over the same material over and over.

Anyway, I've given examples above, and I have posted one myself as well:

* Mythic Creatures as Eco-Terrorists?

We'll see what happens.

I didn't want to be the first one to reply and look all conceited because I post in these threads all the time lol... ;)

But I actually quite like the WWYCD-style threads as well....it's interesting seeing how other people relate to situations, it helps me think my own characterisation through more, and gives me fodder for story ideas for when I'm running stuff as well.

I'm with ghost-angel....you can tell by the thread title what it's about, don't open it if it's not something you're interested in, and contribute to threads that you are interested in...

If the threads are revived and remain on page 1 for very long it's because people are interested in them OR because no one is currently interested in talking about something else.

Would you go up to a group of people talking about something you're not interested in and tell them to either be quiet or talk about something you are interested in? Nothing forces you to open a thread or pay any attention to it and even on dial up, scrolling down or going to page 2 or more is a few seconds out of your life.

If you don't wanna read the thread, don't read it. If the thread you want to read about is off the front page, click over to page 2. If you want people to talk about something else, post something worth talking about.

If WWYCDs are on the front page and stay there, its because people enjoy them. If threads you'd rather read don't receive interest, its because people *aren't* interested.

The rest of us aren't going to change our posting and reading likes and dislikes just to serve you.

Come on, I get to realize what @$$hats my characters are. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, I dont go raising the WWYCDs from the dead. When I find one, if I want toi answer with all (or just one) of my characters, I answer and usually dont post another reply. I enjoy reading other responses. (Heck, I can think of a couple characters I'd love to be in a game with from other members).

I ignore them. My problem with them is I pretty much GM all the Hero I get to play at all' date=' so I don't have a 'YC' to 'WW..D' with. The one I get to play is a supervillain (a Necessary Evil campaign jsut getting started), and that doesn't really fit the discussion.[/quote']

I don't know, quite a few of the reply-ers seem to be playing villains. . . ;)

I must admid that I not only have posted and submitted a WWYCD thread, but I also have enjoyed reading past one.

Also I must admit that there are quite a few, especially lately. So, I haven't posted or answered any since then. In fact, I haven't even read any lately. I will probably wait until the posting slows down again before even considering doing a WWYCD again.

Which is why I started the "show your story telling skills" thread. It was at leat something slightly different. But I think that it'll get lost in the sea of WWYCD and Alternate Earth threads.

Quozaxx