2008 Projects

James Gillen

So, according to Steve there's a lot of interesting new projects in the pipe, but what caught my eye was The Atlantean Age. Given that in the background material for The Valdorian Age and Hidden Lands, the Atlantean Age (including the main Atlantis-Lemuria wars) was actually a period of greater magic than the Turakian Age, I was wondering if that would be reflected in the rules, making (say) Fantasy PCs at the Very High Powered Heroic or Low-Powered Superhero level?

(In other words, Exalted HERO?) ;)

JG

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: 2008 Projects

The project I'm most interested in is Champions Beyond. There's been a dearth of material published about the "cosmic" side of the Champions Universe; and almost all the details about CU aliens not only have been from books set in future eras, but contain little geared to "super" encounters.

On a scale from 1 to 5, with 1 being 'definite skip' and 5 being 'definite buy' ... and zero meaning 'no instinctive reaction, more research needed'.

Atlantean Age: 2

PS 238: 0

Ultimate Base: 1

Scourges of the Galaxy: 2

Lucha Hero: 3 (for the novelty if nothing else)

Urban Fantasy Hero: 1 (as soon as Darren said 'Whedon', I said 'no')

Book of the Destroyer: 5

Ultimate Gadgeteer: 3

Champions Beyond: 5

Urban Fantasy Hero: 1 (as soon as Darren said 'Whedon'' date=' I said 'no')[/quote']

That's like dismissing the entirety of Science-Fiction because you don't like Star Wars.

Whedon is but a small portion of what Urban Fantasy is and could be about. And with Steve writing it I'm sure that the masters of the genre (De Lint for one) will get more page time in concept.

That's like dismissing the entirety of Science-Fiction because you don't like Star Wars.

Whedon is but a small portion of what Urban Fantasy is and could be about. And with Steve writing it I'm sure that the masters of the genre (De Lint for one) will get more page time in concept.

Steve I know. Who's the other guy?

(I'm sure you saw that coming.)

Steve I know. Who's the other guy?

(I'm sure you saw that coming.)

Charles De Lint, one of the, if not The, defining authors of Urban Fantasy literature.

Neil Gaimen is another. China Meville a third.

If you remember, or heard of, the old Bordertown and Borderlands collections of short stories (Terri Windling was the driving force IIRC) those are also in the genre.

In other words, while Whedon's "Buffy & Spinoffs" belong in the genre, he is neither a definitive nor good gauge of the genre as whole. So don't sell the book short based on his works alone.

Charles De Lint, one of the, if not The, defining authors of Urban Fantasy literature.

Neil Gaimen is another. China Meville a third.

If you remember, or heard of, the old Bordertown and Borderlands collections of short stories (Terri Windling was the driving force IIRC) those are also in the genre.

'No' all around. Got something in the TV medium?

The only thing I could think of might be Danny Phantom, but that's definitely more of a superhero thing.

On a scale from 1 to 5, with 1 being 'definite skip' and 5 being 'definite buy' ... and zero meaning 'no instinctive reaction, more research needed'.

Ultimate Base: 1

I've heard other posters with the same initial reaction, change their minds after they've read the full extant description of the book:

The Ultimate Base: Home is where your hero hangs his cape, sword, or blaster pistol, and The Ultimate Base shows you how to build it! This Ultimate series book provides expanded and detailed rules for creating Bases of any type — from the simplest hovels, to mighty castles, to superteam headquarters, to space stations, and more — and for using them in your campaign. Beyond that, The Ultimate Base provides rules for creating cities, kingdoms, nations, and planets as characters you can play, adding never-before-explored political and social dimensions to your campaign.

I've heard other posters with the same initial reaction, change their minds after they've read the full extant description of the book:

The Ultimate Base: Home is where your hero hangs his cape, sword, or blaster pistol, and The Ultimate Base shows you how to build it! This Ultimate series book provides expanded and detailed rules for creating Bases of any type — from the simplest hovels, to mighty castles, to superteam headquarters, to space stations, and more — and for using them in your campaign. Beyond that, The Ultimate Base provides rules for creating cities, kingdoms, nations, and planets as characters you can play, adding never-before-explored political and social dimensions to your campaign.

Yeah, this description upgraded my attitude toward it from "Very Interested; Must Buy" to "Hurry Up And Release It Already!" :D

1. Continuing my Fringeworth Hero game (I guess it is a sort of Star Hero variant).
  2. Possibly trying to get my Weekend Warriors campaign brought back to life (Dark Champions).
  3. Helping a prospective new GM for our group in putting together a Warhammer 40K Hero game (definitely Star Hero).

Doesn't really do anything for me. I don't muck around with politics much.

On a scale from 1 to 5' date=' with 1 being 'definite skip' and 5 being 'definite buy' ... and zero meaning 'no instinctive reaction, more research needed'.[/quote']I'll get them all of course, because that's the kind of wacky completist collector I am, but if I wasn't a wacky completist collector, they'd break down like this for me...

Atlantean Age: 5

PS 238: 0

Ultimate Base: 4

Scourges of the Galaxy: 2

Lucha Hero: 4

Urban Fantasy Hero: 5

Book of the Destroyer: 2

Ultimate Gadgeteer: 4

Champions Beyond: 3

If I wasn't a collector I'd probably break 'em down like this:

A Champions Specific Product: 1

Anything Else: 5

Seriously... why judge a product before you either see it or someone has given you a pretty decent idea of what's inside. book by its cover and all.

Because some genres or concepts simply do not appeal to me, thus I have no reason to purchase a book on that subject. Since the covers of these books clearly state what they are about, it's rather easy.

Say you don't like Star Trek. Are you going to buy a book with 'Star Trek' on the cover, in bright friendly letters? No. I don't like gun-toting vigilante antiheroes, so I know to avoid any books that have 'Dark Champions' on the cover.

Stronghold:no

Atlantean Age: probably not

PS 238: no

Ultimate Base: yes

Scourges of the Galaxy: yes

Lucha Hero: yes, absolutely!

Urban Fantasy Hero: yes

Book of the Destroyer:no

Ultimate Gadgeteer: maybe...depending on reviews and if I need for my Pulp campaign

Champions Beyond: no