2008 Projects

James Gillen

Re: 2008 Projects

I've heard other posters with the same initial reaction, change their minds after they've read the full extant description of the book:

The Ultimate Base: Home is where your hero hangs his cape, sword, or blaster pistol, and The Ultimate Base shows you how to build it! This Ultimate series book provides expanded and detailed rules for creating Bases of any type — from the simplest hovels, to mighty castles, to superteam headquarters, to space stations, and more — and for using them in your campaign. Beyond that, The Ultimate Base provides rules for creating cities, kingdoms, nations, and planets as characters you can play, adding never-before-explored political and social dimensions to your campaign.

Does this not suggest that the title needs some thought? If hero-knowledgable players dont respond to a title that has Hero-specific terminology then what chance does it have with the wider gamer community?

maybe it needs to be something like

The Ultimate Campaign Setting

or

The Ultimate Campaign Environment

or something more WYSIWYG??

Doc

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of quick responses:

1. The Atlantean Age will definitely involve some very high-powered Fantasy characters. That's the whole point of the setting, really; it's ultra-High Fantasy. Should be hellafun to write, and to play. ;)

2. While it's certainly accurate to say that much of Joss Whedon's work (Buffy, Angel) falls within the Urban Fantasy (sub)genre, it's far, far, far from the entirety of the genre. Though there are plenty of TV shows and movies in the genre, I think that first and foremost it's a literary genre -- check out the works of authors like Charles de Lint, Tim Powers, and so on. (I can't fairly comment on Gaiman, who I haven't yet read, nor China Mieville, for whom I so far can't even get through one book.) A while back there was a thread on the FH forum where people recommended books, TV shows, and movies to me as "research materials"; you might want to check that out if you're interested in more. And of course, UFH itself will have a thorough bibliography and filmography.

3. We're not changing the title of The Ultimate Base.

As a huge fan of urban fantasy (and also one who cannot struggle successfully through a China Mieville book), I hope that Long & Co. offer a surrealism as a valid and fully explored UFH genre. I know it's touched on briefly in Star Hero but I disagree on that book's assessment of surrealism's practicality as a campaign. Most campaigns I've ever run are always surreal in nature even when running traditional D&D-style fantasy.

'Lost Highway', 'Twin Peaks', 'Pan's Labyrinth', 'The City of Lost Children', 'Donnie Darko', 'Naked Lunch', and 'Carnivale' are each excellent demonstrations of surreal urban fantasy and are all viable campaign ideas, as well. Of course, it's probably the one genre I'd say is for expert players or GMs only.

Wonderful RPGs such as 'Over the Edge' and 'Heaven & Hell' have already proven that surreal fantasy is not only viable but deviously fun. I'd love to see HERO's treatment of the subject. Either way, I look forward to this release.

Atlantean Age: 5

PS 238: 5

Ultimate Base: 5

Scourges of the Galaxy: 5

Lucha Hero: 5

Urban Fantasy Hero: 5

Book of the Destroyer: 5

Ultimate Gadgeteer: 5

Champions Beyond: 5

Ok, so I'm a completist!!! :doi:

I'm most excited about the Atlantean Age, Ultimate Base and new Destroyer book. (in no particular order)

Atlantean Age: 3, have to read more

PS 238: 1, no love here for "teen" heroes of any setting

Ultimate Base: 5, yes ASAP

Scourges of the Galaxy: 1, no thanks I don't play outerspace champions

Lucha Hero: 4, just for the sheer joy of it.

Urban Fantasy Hero: 5, YES! ASAP

Book of the Destroyer: 2

Ultimate Gadgeteer: 5, yes, when you get a chance

Champions Beyond: 1, no thanks - I don't play outserspace champions

Gosh, good thing PS238 is geared toward bringing new gamers to the table. The Old School doesn't seem to want to play Elementary School HERO, me being the exception that proves the rule. :thumbup:

Lucha HERO, Urban Fantasy HERO and possibly Book of the Destroyer are on my list also. Do me a favor and pace them out appropriately.

Gosh' date=' good thing PS238 is geared toward bringing new gamers to the table. The Old School doesn't seem to want to play Elementary School HERO, me being the exception that proves the rule. :thumbup:[/quote']

I love the comic. I plan on buying it for source material. Interesting to see the test of the rules+source game book will work (I'm hoping it does). The fact the system (and character write ups) will be vastly simplified is personally irritating, but I understand the reasons for the decision, and agree with them, even if I personally don't like.

It is on my must buy - I've been reading the comic since issue 1. :)

I love the comic. I plan on buying it for source material. Interesting to see the test of the rules+source game book will work (I'm hoping it does). The fact the system (and character write ups) will be vastly simplified is personally irritating, but I understand the reasons for the decision, and agree with them, even if I personally don't like.

It is on my must buy - I've been reading the comic since issue 1. :)

I'm anxiously awaiting the suggestions on incorporating Captain Clarinet (who's like 600 pts) and Tyler (who has no powers but is a weirdness magnet) into the same game.

I'm anxiously awaiting the suggestions on incorporating Captain Clarinet (who's like 600 pts) and Tyler (who has no powers but is a weirdness magnet) into the same game.

It's like having Superman and Batman in the same game, isn't it :eek:

Reading the comics, the answer is that "powers don't solve anything (or even very much at all)".

Don't sell Tyler short! He's got at least three very powerful contacts (Revenant and his parents), is accumulating a large collection of gadgets (granted, they have activation rolls), has Luck (and Unluck, but that's disad points), and I have to wonder how many of his classmates are bought as Followers...

Don't sell Tyler short! He's got at least three very powerful contacts (Revenant and his parents)' date=' is accumulating a large collection of gadgets (granted, they have activation rolls), has Luck (and Unluck, but that's disad points), and I have to wonder how many of his classmates are bought as Followers...[/quote']

That's just it. Even with all his stuff Tyler/Moonshadow isn't even a sizable fraction of the points that Captain Clarinet, Green Gauntlet, Tom Davidson and some others are. I have never had a problem with such point disparity in my games, primarily because I rarely let the players have ready access to their character sheets, but some players are persnickety about such things. I'm curious about what suggestions PS238 HERO makes to dealing with this.

ok if the following are the new planned items using the above scale

of 1 Not Want and 5 to got to buy and 0 unknown and need more

details. here is my wish list for 2008 after I buy Stronghold too:

PS 238: 0

Lucha Hero: 0

Urban Fantasy Hero: 0

Penn

Penn

Penn

Penn

Just to clarify' date=' this will be a book of foes for the Star HERO "heroic" sci-fi line, not supers.[/quote']

Ohhhh! That is a whole different can of worms. If it's a Star Hero book, then I am all over that. Sweet. I was wondering when the next Star Hero book would be out.