The Two Funerals

Marcus Impudite

Recently, there was a major battle/disaster in Campaign City, resulting in the loss of many lives. In particular, an NPC hero your character worked with frequently had his life tragically cut short. Your character (and his/her associates, if appropriate) are attending the graveside service when you notice a group of local villains are there in the cemetary that day holding a funeral for one of their members who was killed about the same time as the hero your party is laying to rest. The tension is palpable as the hotheads in both groups sneer at each across the cemetary from time to time during both services, seeming to dare one another to start something right there and then, despite how gauche it would be to get into a superbattle during such a solem occasion as this. WWYCD?

Re: The Two Funerals

Pretty much all my characters would be cool, and tell - very forcefuly - any hotheads on our side to chill out. Now is not the time to start a rumble.

Scarlet Arrow, on the other hand, would go over and pay respects to the other side, too. Sure it's a dangerous business, but she's big on being respectful of life no matter if you were a good guy or a bad guy (with just a dash of that Honorable Adversary thing that you find in anime so often)

Anthem (to the mourners she's with): "We won't be the ones to start things. We all deserve a chance to mourn, even them. No one fights here in the cemetery."

Uncle Slam: Would take Anthem's actions one further; He'd walk over to the other group and state directly to them that on such an occasion there should be safe conduct permitted by both sides. If it was a villain he respected (and that's maybe 2 or 3, who had some ideology he respected but just hated their methods) he may even say a few words.

Audra Blue: will never attend another funeral, she's said. In fact, it was on the way home from the last one that she had an axiety attack that ultimately developed into her agoraphobia.

Recently' date=' there was a major battle/disaster in Campaign City, resulting in the loss of many lives. In particular, an NPC hero your character worked with frequently had his life tragically cut short. Your character (and his/her associates, if appropriate) are attending the graveside service when you notice a group of local villains are there in the cemetary that day holding a funeral for one of their members who was killed about the same time as the hero your party is laying to rest. The tension is palpable as the hotheads in both groups sneer at each across the cemetary from time to time during both services, seeming to dare one another to start something right there and then, despite how gauche it would be to get into a superbattle during such a solem occasion as this. WWYCD?[/quote']

I'm skeptical about this premise. Wanted criminals don't generally make public appearances en masse. If they held a memorial service for "one of their own", it would probably be held at night in reasonable privacy.

Volt, Olorin and Futurian would try to calm down hotheads on both sides - and wait untill the services are over to arrest any villians with outstanding warrents. Volt would tell them so, and Olorin would be a snot and t-port in help when the bad guys aren't watching. Futurian would calmly "put the fritz" on any tech the bad guys had if he could do so without being caught.

Black Tiger, if he could be convinced to be at a funeral at all, would BE one of the hotheads. In fact, he probably would attack without warning if he saw them first.

Badger- Hey Badger finally gets to be the one that stays cool. Whether he pays respects to the villain would probably depend on the villain and manner of death. In any case, he wouldnt antagonize for reasons of honor.

Frosty Bob- (sigh) Yep, he'll probably start the fight. Especially if he hasnt seen much action of late. No, it wouldnt be personal, he is just bored. :rolleyes:

Phidippus' response will depend on the villains in question, of course.

Unless the villains are notably nasty and/or slippery, he'd wait until the services were over before making any moves. He'd likely just try and stay out of sight of them, lurking up in a tree or some such thing, and relying on his danger sense to keep him appraised of anything that would warrant a quicker intervention.

If said villains (deceased and/or attending the funeral) were of a particularly noble bent, eg. of the Lady Blue persuasion, he'd likely step up with the white flag raised to pay his respects.

"I may not have approved of her methods, but she had motivations I could appreciate. In different circumstances, I would gladly call her 'friend'".

If said villains were notably harmless and ineffective (eg. incompetent wannabes), he'd probably want to do a similar thing, but make the speech a little more along the lines of:

"This is what likely awaits you along the path you've chosen. Rest assured, I'm not saying your friend deserved this; but your fate may end up disturbingly similar unless you hang up the cape or change your tune. Ask yourselves 'why do I do this?' There are much easier and safer ways to get rich and earn respect - and much nobler ways to employ the skills and abilities you've been graced with. I'll leave you to your grief for now - but I'll be watching. I hope my words, maudlin though they may be, have not fallen on deaf ears."

(Whoa - did I just unknowingly channel the Ultra-Humanite?)

Vitus would probably wander over, and compliment the late villain on his cunning and more intelligent applications of will to his colleagues. Unless somebody that Vitus actually doesn't like is in the group, in which case it would be wander over, compliment the deceased, and stab target in the eye.

Revenant would make sure with, a -stern- look, that the hotheads on both sides understood he was in no mood for shenanigans.

Feline Fury would only glare at someone she -really- loathed on the other side. Otherwise shed leave the other group alone. And she wouldnt start anything. Yet.