Replacing Hexes with Squares

Fedifensor

Re: Replacing Hexes with Squares

We never play on squares or hexes, and often not even on tabletops. Superhero combats, when we are using miniatures, usually take the floor, with furniture, books and CD boxes as scenery, and a cloth tape measure for doing the measuring.

What I'm saying, basically, is I can't help with the question :D

Steve Jackson mentioned the squares versus hexes argument as part of the GURPS design process. His answer was that while squares make for better building layouts, hexes make for better character movement. So, while he liked gridded maps, GURPS uses hexes as its easier to determine facing, direction, and movement.

If you're going to use a square map, I'd recommend switching to a tape measure for distances (range, movement distance, etc.) as squares do not handle diagonals well.

On the other hand, who says walls, furniture, etc. have to follow hex boundaries? In reality, there aren't many spaces can be divided into a number of 6' squares, or even 1 foot squares, for that matter.

Well' date=' my DDC game is going to be using squares since that's what Lego comes in, but I've got some Lego measuring sticks for figuring out ranges.[/quote']

Although some of my combats have features Bionicles in the past, I've never taken the lego thing to the measuring stick level. I'm impressed :)

hell, that was true on the table for us!

Jenny: "OH NO! ITS THE DREADED KALI!"*

Bob: "NO, MY FACE!"

Jenny: "HE DRUG BOB'S CHARACTER OFF THE TABLE, WHAT DOES THAT MEAN!"

DM: "that means he got a good seat for the second coming..."

Jenny: "OH MY GOD! THE HORROR"

Bob: "WHAT A RANDOM AND CRUEL WORLD!!"

DM: "sorry, that one is out of my hands. not even god himself knows the creature's motivations!"

:) dramatized for your pleasure!

*yes one of our cats is named Kali, and yes, he fully deserves the name, as his favorite game is death, and favorite food is faces. :) he would actually leap onto the table, grab one of the minis in his mouth, and take off into another room, probably to begin heinous torture...

Squares can do diagonals somewhat decently' date=' you just treat each diag as 1.5" and round down for the last square (or you can round up, up to GM). In that way I like the squares better cause I'm not sure how you'd figure out the corner movement on hexes...[/quote']

Squares on the diagonal are actually 3" every 2 squares you move. So you would either count them as 1", 2", 1", 2" or as 2", 1", 2", 1", etc...

The group I've been in for the last few years has been really into D&D, so I've gotten used to squares. They have thier own problems, like diagonal movement being almost 1.5 times as 'fast' as horizontal or vertical. Hexes have thier own wierdness, of course. I still run champs, though, and still use a hex battlemat.

To draw straight lines and right angles on a hex map, draw along the base of one hex, through the center of the next, forming a straight line. To make a right angle, start at one end of the base of a hex and draw to the same end of the top edge of the hex, nipping off 2 sides of the hex, and continue that line. If you want whole hexes on one side of the line, you just connect the points of the hexes.

Squares can do diagonals somewhat decently' date=' you just treat each diag as 1.5" and round down for the last square (or you can round up, up to GM). In that way I like the squares better cause I'm not sure how you'd figure out the corner movement on hexes...[/quote']

You don't do corner movement on hexes. They're arranged so that corner movement doesn't/can't happen. If a character wants to run in the direction of the hex's corner, you count movement on the map as if he's running in a wavy line. If the small inaccuracies inherent in that system bother you, you'd be better off ditching grids and using a tape measure.

You don't do corner movement on hexes. They're arranged so that corner movement doesn't/can't happen. If a character wants to run in the direction of the hex's corner' date=' you count movement on the map as if he's running in a wavy line. If the small inaccuracies inherent in that system bother you, you'd be better off ditching grids and using a tape measure.[/quote']

to be honest, tape measure is starting to sound better to me, lol.