Spiderman style aerial mobility

Remjin

Okay, so I watched Spiderman 3 again last night with the wife and kids and thought... how does one model that kind of movement?

I mean, you see him using all sorts of objects around him to alter his path in midair all the time, along with all the rest... how does one model all of that? So far, I've been thinking:

1. Swinging for basics
  2. Extra Limbs w/ Stretching to be able to grab stuff and alter course
  3. Acrobatics, obviously
  4. Flight w/ a lot of maneuverability with limitations of some sort for changes of direction and all that.
  5. Clinging, obviously
  6. Leaping

I only have those as basic concepts, not sure of the specifics yet. Anybody have a simpler or better way of doing it? I want to do a character based off of Spiderman's movement, I'm likely to use a totally different sfx.

Re: Spiderman style aerial mobility

You could go with #4, Flight with No Turn Mode, etc..

Or the other five seem to sum it up.. I wouldn't even require #2, if you have #3: available objects within Swinging range would count as circumstance bonuses to the Acrobatics roll.

I've sometimes wondered if 0" of Swinging was in effect Clinging, except for the rule that where there are two equally valid ways of buying something, the more expensive way is correct...

There are a few ways to do it, depending on what you want to accomplish. His primary mode of movement is Flight, OIF, Swing Line. Er, I mean swinging. :P Additionally, most of his mobility is, in fact, a Special Effect of his Combat Luck and his DCV levels. If there were ever a hero who has a ridiculously high DCV, both from his DEX and CSLs, its Spider-Man. Add to that his Danger Sense, and it becomes fairly clear why he can't be tagged.

If you want to make his life "more difficult" you can give him +X DCV, only in environments that allow high levels of mobility.

A lot of the stuff you see in the comics and movies requires way too many movement abilites to be worth the points, although you might be able to put several of them in a MP to save points.

The easy route is to just call it Flight with several limitations tacked on to represent the fact he can't actually fly...

You could go with #4' date=' Flight with No Turn Mode, etc..[/quote']

His primary mode of movement is Flight, OIF, Swing Line. Er, I mean swinging. :P Additionally, most of his mobility is, in fact, a Special Effect of his Combat Luck and his DCV levels.

If you want to make his life "more difficult" you can give him +X DCV, only in environments that allow high levels of mobility.

I think these two together may make for what I'm looking for... not sure, though.

A lot of the stuff you see in the comics and movies requires way too many movement abilites to be worth the points, although you might be able to put several of them in a MP to save points.

The easy route is to just call it Flight with several limitations tacked on to represent the fact he can't actually fly...

Could you list the totality of what you're talking about? I mostly want to do all the various movement stunts, and I'd like to see what you're talking about. What limits would you put on the flight?

+4 Combat Skill Levels with DCV' date=' Only When Swinging (-1/4) 16pts.[/quote']

Also a good idea. I'll have to consider that.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys, keep 'em coming. =)

Could you list the totality of what you're talking about? I mostly want to do all the various movement stunts' date=' and I'd like to see what you're talking about. What limits would you put on the flight?[/quote']

Sure, something along the lines of this:

Flight, 15", No Turn Mode (+1/4), Variable Limitations (Requires at least -1/2 worth Of Limitations, -1/4)

Then you're normal selection of Variable Limitations are:

Physical Manifestation (webline) -1/4, Must be within 15" of appropriate Anchor Point -1/4: this simulates your basic Swinging

Only In Contact With a Solid Surface -1/2: Simulates the ability to move on walls and extremely narrow surfaces. This is a more limited version of only in Contact with a Surface, since you can not run on water and such. You can skip this one if the character has Clinging.

Can Only Change Direction By Bouncing Off Solid Surface - 1/4, Must Land At End Of Phase -1/4 - This lets you make pretty incredible "leaps", but you need to spring off something to change direction.

You can do other more obscure things with this and GM approval, like create Webchutes (Flight, but only to move down and with a different Physical Manifestation) or Slingshots (Extra Time - Full Phase).

That's the gist of it at least.

Another big part of this sort of character is that he probably has a fairly massive SPD, which means acting more often and thus being able to alternate the way he moves more often than other characters. Look at Chimera and Heavy Metal. Heavy could leap further in a single bound, but Chimera covered more distance in the same amount of time using multiple short hops, often running along walls or swinging across the ceiling in between leaps.

All of this seems very complicated to me. I think all it should take is:

Swinging (how many inches will depend on personal preference/campaign limits)

Leaping (as above)

Clinging

High Dex

A GM with a well-developed sense of "Cool Factor."

But that's just my opinion. When it comes to character design, I usually subscribe to the KISS theory.

What I'd like to know is how to work this into the actual gameplay - the wild running up and down buildings, etc., etc., using props simple enough to carry around (i.e., a game mat or some such), without just defaulting to pure narration. I remember watching the Doc-Ock fights and thinking how kewl they were and at the same time thinking they'd be almost impossible to game properly...

Sure, something along the lines of this:

Flight, 15", No Turn Mode (+1/4), Variable Limitations (Requires at least -1/2 worth Of Limitations, -1/4)

Then you're normal selection of Variable Limitations are:

Physical Manifestation (webline) -1/4, Must be within 15" of appropriate Anchor Point -1/4: this simulates your basic Swinging

Only In Contact With a Solid Surface -1/2: Simulates the ability to move on walls and extremely narrow surfaces. This is a more limited version of only in Contact with a Surface, since you can not run on water and such. You can skip this one if the character has Clinging.

Can Only Change Direction By Bouncing Off Solid Surface - 1/4, Must Land At End Of Phase -1/4 - This lets you make pretty incredible "leaps", but you need to spring off something to change direction.

You can do other more obscure things with this and GM approval, like create Webchutes (Flight, but only to move down and with a different Physical Manifestation) or Slingshots (Extra Time - Full Phase).

That's the gist of it at least.

Another big part of this sort of character is that he probably has a fairly massive SPD, which means acting more often and thus being able to alternate the way he moves more often than other characters. Look at Chimera and Heavy Metal. Heavy could leap further in a single bound, but Chimera covered more distance in the same amount of time using multiple short hops, often running along walls or swinging across the ceiling in between leaps.

I've been doing comic book swinging as flight for a while now since characters often do things that don't seem possible with the swinging power, but this is very well though out.

It hadn't occured to me to roll it into 'clinging' effects or use variable limitations.

A lot of great suggestions. I will likely use most of them. I want to focus on movement and stunts, and keep other elements simple. I think Bloodstone's flight version is nicely elegant for the simplest version, as is the swinging versions otherwise mentioned here. In essence, I think a lot of it applies and it'll depend on the GM as far as which I'll use. This is one of those concepts I want to have in reserve for when we next have a superhero game. So many good points to consider.

More ideas are certainly welcome, I'm itching to get home and try to build this out. My only thing now is to conceptualize a more coherent character to go with it.

I was thinking of making it technological, like cybernetic cables a bit less creepy than Omega Red's, in multiples (minus the death factor thing), but I'm open to better ideas. I don't want to steal the webbing thing. :D

Just had an idea... I've found carbon fiber a fascinating material and been amazed at its uses in hot rods and otherwise. Its fibrous qualities might make for an interesting use as a swingline, and its basic make-up seems compatible with typical superhero origins involving the imbibing of certain materials into the structures of the body. We're already a carbon based life form, so it seems like a small leap in comic book science to form an origin and a sfx here... perhaps creating a sort of speedster/brick hybrid.

And don't forget' date=' carbon nano tubes have another fun quality: they're black. No, I mean [b']black[/b].

Neat. Carbon fiber style technology is fascinating. I'll have to read the earlier article more fully to understand some of these implications. Still, I canlt help but imagine those finger traps from childhood while looking at their structures.

I've sometimes wondered if 0" of Swinging was in effect Clinging, except for the rule that where there are two equally valid ways of buying something, the more expensive way is correct...

Even 0" of clinging would require at least a half phase action to "move" and stay in place. Also, you wouldn't be able to move using any other modes whiles using it.