Armored Suit

Arrgg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Armored Suit

Good stuff, especially when you reference page numbers. I been trying to follow on a dog eared copy of champions from long ago, got frustrated and ran out of town today and got the Hero system 5th revised edition.

Ye God's man no one told me I needed a fork lift to carry it around!!!

So got book, got updated version of Champions while the store had it to, and have popcorn/hot chocolate and now ready to rock.

One way of making the powers psionic might be to simply buy the armour as armour and nothing more. The characters flight,"repulsors", senses and any other powers are actually psionic in nature and bought independent of the armoured suit. You still get something that looks like "Ironman" and has similar abilities, but he still conforms to the Referee's idea of a "psionic" character.

Others have pointed out how to do the baseline Iron Man - the only thing I'd add is that if you want to go whole-hog, you've got another choice too. Namely, build a 200 point 'baseline' Tony Stark with all the perks and the goodies, reflecting the fact that, as Tony Stark, he's got contacts and perks and goodies that would make Bruce Wayne drool.

Include a 200 point Multiform with, say, 4 extra forms, to reflect the fact that he had more than just the one suit. Chews up 50 points, but since this version of him doesn't *have* any superpowers, just perks skills stats and maybe some MA's that he can't use in the armor, he doesn't need those 50 points so badly.

But those "contacts and perks and goodies" suddenly vanish (technically) when he changes into an armored form since that form didn't also buy them.

Which would make sense if it was a secret ID. I kinda like the concept.

Sorry but I kind of see this as huge abuse of the rules...If this was true every hero would be bough multiform, one form as his normal person (250 points worth of skill, contacts, perks etc.) and then the super hero 250 points of stats and powers. I think there is a better way of doing this, I just don't know what it is yet. You also have to remember, spider-man is a contact of Tony Stark, but not of Iron Mans? That doesn't work really. I mean I guess you could keep some of the perks and skills across all of the forms but that kind of makes this idea useless.

Does that make sense?

Might want to also consider the Money perk at some level or another for a powersuit character. That stuff's expensive' date=' and without the perk it's harder to explain where all the tech comes from.[/quote']

Maybe he's a cyberpath and creates it from scratch? Just a thought on alternate F/X...

Also, IIRC, the money perk is for available (disposable) funds. Having a large income but saying "it all goes to maintaining the suit" (leaving the character with the same available money as Joe Normal), would be just a Special Effect.

Sorry but I kind of see this as huge abuse of the rules...If this was true every hero would be bough multiform, one form as his normal person (250 points worth of skill, contacts, perks etc.) and then the super hero 250 points of stats and powers. I think there is a better way of doing this, I just don't know what it is yet. You also have to remember, spider-man is a contact of Tony Stark, but not of Iron Mans? That doesn't work really. I mean I guess you could keep some of the perks and skills across all of the forms but that kind of makes this idea useless.

Does that make sense?

There are a lot of characters for whom multiform makes sense. Iron Man probably isn't one of them. What if he uses Stark Corp. passcodes while in armor to get into a warehouse and surprise the bad guys raiding it? What if he phones in on his helmet commlink (without using his Iron Man voice scrambler) to let his assistant know he's going to be late for his meeting (because he has to go repulsor the hell out of somebody)? What if he wants to use his tremendous science and tech skills while suited up? Tony Stark, besides, is expensive enough a character that it might not be worth it in points to use multiform unless you cripple his intellect and resources as soon as he puts on the armor.

Don't forget - Spell Check Armor. :)

Different times' date=' when Tony was mister I have as pecilised armor for this possibility, then Multiform makes a lot of sense (I have Hulkbuster armor, I have deep see armor, and stealth armor, space armor, and nromal armor...etc...)[/quote']

Different times' date=' when Tony was mister I have as pecilised armor for this possibility, then Multiform makes a lot of sense (I have Hulkbuster armor, I have deep see armor, and stealth armor, space armor, and nromal armor...etc...)[/quote']

Variable Power Pool... or even a Multipower with slots that only change under limited circumstances.

... pecilised?

It's too bad that there isn't some option of Multiform where it allows for the addition of one set of powers from a group of sets to the "base" character.

Say you have a 350 point character, 150 points of which are the Character, and 200 are the Suit. You can buy the Suit OIF/OIHID, and that works just fine. But if you want to have a selection of Suits (via Multiform) you have to buy that 150 point Character over again in each form along with the Suit.

Assuming my Gm is looking at this page Lets say 200pts with 150 in disadvantages. Of course if my GM is looking here he can post what I do have to play with point wise :hail:

It'd doable (barely, IMO) with just the 200 points. Here's what I threw together using that limit:

PTS  STAT  VAL
3    STR   13
24   DEX   18
6    CON   13
0    BODY  10
8    INT   18
2    EGO   11
0    PRE   10
0    COM   10
0    PD    3
0    ED    3
2    SPD   3
0    REC   6
-8   END   10
0    STUN  24
====================================
16  [i][b]Atomic Battery:[/b][/i] Endurance Reserve 100 END: 10 REC - OIHID(-1/4)

48  Multipower(60): [b][i]Weapon Systems[/i][/b] - OIHID(-1/4)
5   1u) [b][i]Repulsor Blasts:[/i][/b] 12d6 EB vs PD                                                [6]
5   2u) [b][i]Pulse Lazer:[/i][/b] 2d6 RKA + Autofire(5 Shots; +1/2) + Reduced END(Half END; +1/2)  [2]
5   3u) [b][i]Missiles:[/i][/b] 2d6 RKA + Armor Piercing(+1/2), Explosion(+1/2) - 16 Charges(-0)   (16)

12  Elemental Control(15): [b][i]Battlesuit[/i][/b] - OIHID(-1/4)
12  [b][i]Forcefield:[/i][/b] Force Field +12 PD/+12 ED + Reduced END(Half END; +1/4)               [1]
12  [b][i]MiniJets:[/i][/b] Flight 15" - Fuel Charge(Jet Fuel, Easy to Obtain, 1 Hour; -0)       (1 hr)

24  [b][i]Armor Plating:[/i][/b] Armor +10 PD/+10 ED - OIHID(-1/4)
6   [b][i]Padding:[/i][/b] +8 PD - OIHID(-1/4)
6   [b][i]Insulation:[/i][/b] +8 ED - OIHID(-1/4)
3  Inventor
3  Electronics
3  Mechanics
3  PS: Battlesuit Designer
200 Total

With an extra 150 points it really gets interesting!

But wouldn't it just be cheaper to buy the extra forms though multiform (+5 pts = 2x forms) instead of buying the Multiform over again in each slot of the Multipower?

Well, there's a breakpoint dependent upon the number of alternate forms and the amount of overlap between them. If all Iron Man multiforms have Tony's skills, attributes, and resources, that could easily be hundreds of base points that you'll have to repurchase in each multiform. Plus, most of the Iron Man armors will have large amounts of similar basic systems; the Hulkbuster will still have a radio and life support, the deep sea armor will still have repulsors and armor, and so forth.

If Tony is 300 points, and the armor is another 500, with 300 of those points being essentially static between iterations, the multiform works out to 160 + (5 x every doubling of forms) points on top of the cost of the most expensive form (800-ish).

If Tony + Basic Armor is 500 points, and you have a multipower for the changes between armor types, those 200 points become a framework, with 20-pt ultra slots for each form. It's much cheaper until you pass nine total armor types, then multiform starts jumping ahead exponentially.

On the other hand, with multiform you can use OIHID, perhaps. So readjust those costs accordingly.

For me, the main draw isn't so much point savings as that I feel Multiform is a clunky construct.

The current baselines for the 'Team Norfolk' campaign:

Starting points: 150 base + 75 Disads = 225 points total

Shooting for a 40 AP cap on most powers...as of now.

That said, I will almost certainly be passing out about....well, lets say 30 more

points or so to play with once we get the first full session under our belt and see how the group stacks up, etc.

On a tangentially related note, for those keeping track, after our initial meeting

yesterday I upped the base points by 25pts, with the request that at least 10pts

of that be dedicated to the purchase of skills....

So the points are: 175 base (with a minimum of 10pts of that in skills)

plus 75pts in disads for a total of 250pts.

Still holding to the basic 40 AP cap on powers....to start with at least.

Currently, in addition to the powered armor character that this thread is

discussing the group consists of a telekinetic and a mystic type. I'm

considering starting a basic campaign log thread here once the real

adventuring starts, if anyone is interested. :D

-Carl-

Wow this is a good concept:

Some things that I thought of while reading this: The suit of armor could be a Psionic Enhancer, thus the character might want to buy some limited psionic like powers, but the Suit would boost it up and give additional abilities.

One of the things I have seen is the Armor 10/10 - this may be too much for the campaign. I would highly recommend the GM take a look at that and see what level Armor he wants in his campaign. I personally would go with 6/6 and a 60AP cap for a 250 pt campaign. But it is a 40 AP cap, so Armor might need to be lowered down to 5/5. In both of these instances this should free up some additional points for the character to add more stuff.