My Danger Sense Goes . . .

Asperion

The abilities of danger sense are well known. Especially the direct benefits it will produce (negates suprise, grants certain bonuses, etc). However I would like to see what else the great minds in Herodom can come up with. This can be as simple as expanding on the above stated or creating new ideas.

For example danger sense could be used by a fire character to detect when a weather problem might be coming up.

There are numerous great possibilities out there so lets put them into action on these boards.

Re: My Danger Sense Goes . . .

As demonstrated by certain heroes from which I garner my colloquial appellation, a Danger Sense can be used to justify:

1) Enhanced stealth (knowing when a dangerous enemy might glance in your direction, or when you're about to step on a creaky floorboard).

2) Ability to navigate without any other sensory input, if the danger sense is seriously sensitive.

3) Nearly foolproof ways to know if your bomb disposal techniques are sound without blowing yourself up (bonuses to demolitions disposal-type skills).

Limitations can be put on Danger Sense to simulate many thematic character sensory abilities. In published builds you often see sorcerors who have Danger Sense, Magical Threats Only. A cyberkinetic could have it Only Vs. Machines; an elemental being, Only Vs. Opposing Element; and so on.

Are you talking about different results of a successful Danger Sense roll, or creating Powers with "danger sense" as the SFX?

If the latter, you could have:

Flash Defense (sight), Requires Danger Sense Roll -- you get enough warning to close or cover your eyes in time.

You could build a Combat Luck type of defense, Not vs. AOE, Requires DS Roll.

Skill Levels on stuff like Conversation, Persuasion, Disguise etc. -- only for defending in skill-vs-skill contests. (A timely Danger Sense warning makes you think twice before speaking, or as the person is trying to convince you, or "sees through" a person's disguise, etc.)

Are you talking about different results of a successful Danger Sense roll, or creating Powers with "danger sense" as the SFX?

I was going to ask a similar question as well.

In some ways Defense Maneuver I-IV (otherwise known as Paranoia 101) can be as good or better than Danger Sense.

Limitations can be put on Danger Sense to simulate many thematic character sensory abilities. In published builds you often see sorcerors who have Danger Sense' date=' Magical Threats Only. A cyberkinetic could have it Only Vs. Machines; an elemental being, Only Vs. Opposing Element; and so on.[/quote']

The effect I think of most in this vein is the hyper sensitive telepath who can detect hostile thoughts in the area.

I was once trying to build Maxwell Smart in HERO. He had Danger Sense that was Intuitional; he kept his full DCV' date=' but never actually KNEW he was in danger. He'd just always trip, or bend over to tie his shoe, or somesuch and the wall behind him would get shot or knifed. :)[/quote']

That's actually the way I've used it most :D:thumbup:

Eventually, my character will develop the ability to sense danger, but only in dreams, so it will be imprecise and available only when he's asleep. Any really dangerous moments will play themselves out in an odd case of deja vu...

I once wrote but never played a character who was a super-intelligent fighter jet aircraft (think of Knight Rider's KITT in the body of an F-35 Joint Strike Fighter) who had Danger Sense purchased as incredibly well-developed threat assessment software...

Are you talking about different results of a successful Danger Sense roll' date=' or creating Powers with "danger sense" as the SFX?[/quote']

The original thought that I had was different powers that could be defined as working off of a DS roll. However there is no limit and if you want to put some results (DS stories) in please feel free to do so.

An ability that I came up with was enhanced DEX with DS roll. The concept is that the character is a normal super but if using his DS, then the DS "tells" him how to move to reduce damage delivered. This same theory works for damage reduction. Try putting both together and you end up with someone almost impossible to bring down. :eek:

The original thought that I had was different powers that could be defined as working off of a DS roll. However there is no limit and if you want to put some results (DS stories) in please feel free to do so.

An ability that I came up with was enhanced DEX with DS roll. The concept is that the character is a normal super but if using his DS, then the DS "tells" him how to move to reduce damage delivered. This same theory works for damage reduction. Try putting both together and you end up with someone almost impossible to bring down. :eek:

I took this concept one step further with my namesake character.

He has a 120 active point multipower where all the slots are 60 active point 'ultras'. One of the slots includes a Danger Sense (I know it's a GM call to allow DS in a MP but it fits concept). IF the character has 1 slot dedicated to Danger Sense and the other slot 'open' and THEN the Danger Sense goes off he has a chance (Requires a Skill Roll based on DS) to use a very limited 'Enter the Speed Zone' for a couple of phases. As this takes up ALL of his Multipower Reserve to do so his abilities are greatly reduced in this state. It is a very basic representation of what Clark on the Smallville TV show does in emergency situations.

A link to the character writeup is available in my sig below.