Loved at home hated by the world.

Tungsten Shephard

Re: Loved at home hated by the world.

I admit, all Green Lanterns are beginning to run together in my mind.

Which is sad, since they're running together like hand-painted lead figurines kept on the mantle above the fireplace, instead of in the good way.

Back to our regularly scheduled thread.

HERO's would and could be extradited in this world, the year is 2034 and the New World Order is in the process of becoming a serious reality. Thus there was and is in this world a need for strong international laws on meta-humans. This would follow under treaties with the respective nation in question who returned to Sharia Law post treaty. Because the HERO's were non-Muslims and their actions did result in the death of Islam believers the country in question is seeking the Death Penalty (evil infedel even if you did save the city it's obviously a western trick). Your country does not hold to Sharia but supports the ideal of a nation of Law. It is the current policy of the United States in this time to be a protector of Law, even if that Law does not make sense to those living in the United States.

"We are a nation of Law who support the use of Law" has become a form of propaganda world wide in this time line. (Yes there are some "Law vs. Lawful" ties to the reality of the Supers in their time line. Supers are slowly becoming the target of the state do to the ideal of upholding what is lawful and right vs. the laws made out of fear of meta humans, of their time line. Real or not this is not an uncommon theme within the bounds of comic books.)

Furthermore at this point in history Islam is the predominant religion of the world (actually it is now) and Shria Law has become popular world wide because of social steins upon the nations who are influenced by the threat of Jihad & turmoil upon them if they don't.

Disclaimer-The events are for a backdrop story arch I am writing, not actual in game events with real players - yet.

Yeah, that's a lot of background information that should have been qualified if you're expecting us to have had that in mind.

As has been said by another, I also wouldn't be playing in that game. Not my style at all.

And for the record:

hero - singular

heroes - plural form of hero (person)

HERO's - possesive form of HERO (HERO GAMES?)

heros - plural form of hero sandwich

Here's another stipulation: How powerful is the U.N. in your campaign... In my campaign the U.N. is about as powerful as it is in real life... As in most major powers really don't care what the U.N. declares or resolves, since most resolutions don't pass that the big five don't want passed (if they do pass, the big five only give them "lip service")...

Yeah, that's rapidly turning into a game that I wouldnt get within a hundred miles of. Just aint my bag, really.

That said, if I *was* a player in that game, I still dont think the scenario would have a chance to unfold. All of my characters would be probably be underground and fighting against The Man and wanted by the law by that point anyway. "Screw 'em! What's one more law enforcment agency wanting my head, anyway?"

Yeah, I'd be a bit p!$$ed if this was just sprung all of a sudden on me, too.

Though, if it had been worked out between me and the GM, this would be the 2nd best way for my character's (Badger, anyway) "presence" in the "series" to end. The first would be to pull a Spike from Cowboy Bebop and getting mortally wounded killing his archnemesis. But, this would be #2. Family killed when he was helpless little one by said archnemesis. Develops and refines powers. Become a criminal in search for the bad guy. One of his future teammates after several run-ins helps him get pardon to join in a fight against their mutual enemy. Tolerated but never accepted by the populace. And then this "accident" would be a perfect way to take him out. Despite all his best efforts to redeem himself, he realizes he will always be popular scapegoat at any convienient opportunity. Goes into hiding. Eventually caught up to by the teammate who helped with the pardon. Teammate is forced to kill Badger because Badger will refuse to turn himself in. And will rather go out doing the only thing he was good at: Fighting in Battle. Finally, he can see his long lost family in the next life. It would be a perfect tragedy.

(especially if he HAD already fought and defeated said archnemesis)

Note: ANd this could be a good character building exercise for his friend. With all the lingering guilt for what he had to do.

Umm, sorry, my brain got a little inspired. :o

Note: But, the GM would have to run it by me first. If not, it is an argument a'brewing. (rolls eyes)

I admit, all Green Lanterns are beginning to run together in my mind.

Which is sad, since they're running together like hand-painted lead figurines kept on the mantle above the fireplace, instead of in the good way.

Back to our regularly scheduled thread.

You're still bothering to keep up with all the Green Lanterns? I gave that up a long time ago. :rolleyes:

Guest steamteck

HBecause the HERO's were non-Muslims and their actions did result in the death of Islam believers the country in question is seeking the Death Penalty (evil infedel even if you did save the city it's obviously a western trick). Your country does not hold to Sharia but supports the ideal of a nation of Law. It is the current policy of the United States in this time to be a protector of Law, even if that Law does not make sense to those living in the United States.

I honestly can't answer objectively to your question because I would never be able to play in such a game unless the point was overthrowing the "evil empire". Death penalty because you're the wrong religion would not fly as the prevailing order with me or our group. I can't see any of my Heroes bowing down to such injustice I just can't see a campaign loke that working any other way given the current world situation which is why I stay away from such stuff myself..

When I want real-world politics, I open the newspaper, not a gaming book. When I want to make a statement, I write a letter to my congressman or to the editor, I don't write an adventure. And if my GM starts using his game to try to make a statement about real-world politics or religion, he's going to be looking for a new player.

Well, based on that background, only some of my characters would be in such a game.

Ranger (well one of the darker ones) would simply work above and beyond the law. He may very well eliminate world leaders supporting such policies.

Blaze would be rather brutal and direct. "When you want to arrest me, make sure you send a two divisions. One of soldiers, the other to dig their graves."

Seer might just isolate himself from it all--the orld has obviously gone to hell, he'd just find a quiet corner and take care of his own..or he'd become the type of thing he swore he'd never be--a really scene manipulating mentalist, and tryt o remake the world stage by subverting it from within.

Any character I'd play would be trying to fight that world status quo, one way or another. I'd not play anyone supporting it, or tolerating it.

But your vew of the United States is one that has overwhelmingly changed its national character. You better come up with a strong reason for that, or I don't know frankly who would bother playing without one.

Here's another stipulation: How powerful is the U.N. in your campaign... In my campaign the U.N. is about as powerful as it is in real life... As in most major powers really don't care what the U.N. declares or resolves' date=' since most resolutions don't pass that the big five don't want passed (if they do pass, the big five only give them "lip service")...[/quote']

Of course they're effective in my game world! They have U.N.C.L.E. for dealing with their espionage and intelligence and U.N.I.T. as their military force.

When I want real-world politics' date=' I open the newspaper, not a gaming book. When I want to make a statement, I write a letter to my congressman or to the editor, I don't write an adventure. And if my GM starts using his game to try to make a statement about real-world politics or religion, he's going to be looking for a new player.[/quote']

consider yoursel repped for that bunneh

Wow, I was not expecting the harsh responses here since.

a) I said this was for a background plot.

B) I never said the player characters in my current game "are" indeed the ones on trial.

The question was WW"Y"CD what I have not chosen yet, is what the character in question did when everything turned against him. The stage is set, I have just not chosen the outcome past, what did the defendant do after he was accused? .....

Fact is the players are doing the Investigation for the defending attorney and helping out another costumed comrade in need of help. What is wrong with that style of an adventure?

What I get the feeling here is that people are under the mindset that I am somehow making a political statement. I'm not, I'm running a supers CSI style game (that my players enjoy) where Hudson City is the backdrop. The HERO in question and the attorney representing him is also from that City.

For those who replied without prejudice and answered the question thank you.

When I want real-world politics' date=' I open the newspaper, not a gaming book. When I want to make a statement, I write a letter to my congressman or to the editor, I don't write an adventure. And if my GM starts using his game to try to make a statement about real-world politics or religion, he's going to be looking for a new player.[/quote']

Oh, don't worry, this scenario has NOTHING to do with real-world politics, anyway. ^_- Not of any remotely plausible kind.

You were a super HERO once' date=' you battled foes far and wide. You defeated the terrible Dr. Insertnamehere, and the Abomination from beyond. People loved you in your homeland but not in the land you just had that unfortunate event in. [/quote']

Sounds familiar. Vitus was loved back on Aura, but he's continually surprised anybody even likes him elsewhere. He doesn't like them, after all.

The terrible day happened when a group of innocent bystanders get in the way and you had to do the unthinkable to save more lives.

What's so unthinkable about Nun Soup?

You get a subpoena to appear before a court tribunal with no jury in that foreign country you had just saved and the country in question is hostile to supers and those that are different. The government of that country is seeking the death penalty for your actions. International law says you must appear in their court and face whatever consequences might be in store for you. Furthermore the U.N. files a resolution condemning your country of origin for not turning you over for trial. You feel as if there is no way of publicly avoiding this and you even get sympathy from your chief rival a position offered to you by your most hated foes to take the spot of the villain you just defeated.

It's nice to be appreciated.

Regarding the extradition - "And I'm supposed to care, why? I don't recognize the authority of your authorities - I barely recognize the ones here. And what's the point of a jury trial anyway - am I suppose to trust the judgement of 12 slack-jawed yokels they drag off the street? Don't make me laugh. Sure it would be nice if that busload of nuns hadn't stepped into path of a thermoclastic vortex, but if wishes were fishes caviar would be a global staple. If you want me to feel guilty about collateral damage than at least line me up for some accidental genocide first. A few hundred gallons of Nun Soup isn't going to cut it."

• 1 month later...

You were a super HERO once, you battled foes far and wide. You defeated the terrible Dr. Insertnamehere, and the Abomination from beyond. People loved you in your homeland but not in the land you just had that unfortunate event in.

The terrible day happened when a group of innocent bystanders get in the way and you had to do the unthinkable to save more lives. You could not control it since that group of normals just jumped in front of your bullet, punch, kick, ball of unyielding energy, or that small 4-wheeled vehicle that you just threw at the evil villain and the mind controlled (thats what you assumed) bystanders just stood there and died.

You know it was an accident but no one in the country you made the mistake in believes you and the people you were protecting don’t care. You get a subpoena to appear before a court tribunal with no jury in that foreign country you had just saved and the country in question is hostile to supers and those that are different. The government of that country is seeking the death penalty for your actions. International law says you must appear in their court and face whatever consequences might be in store for you. Furthermore the U.N. files a resolution condemning your country of origin for not turning you over for trial. You feel as if there is no way of publicly avoiding this and you even get sympathy from your chief rival a position offered to you by your most hated foes to take the spot of the villain you just defeated.

WWYCD?

Nova has already expressed his sincere regret and willingness to make productive reparations for the civilian losses but it's a war out there and sometimes collateral damage happens, no matter how many efforts are done to prevent it. OTOH, he doesn't recognize human laws and the government of that country in his opinion is wasting its time to make silly legal shenanigans that have no value for him.

OTOH, he really hopes they are not going to escalate and use force since that would be declaration of war against him and he kindly suggests the people of that country to get ready to elect a new government since there are going to be several state funerals very soon if they do.

Mr. Nonsense: Possibly N/A, because he has a limited passive sense of the future and would be able to use his indirect EB to prevent such a disaster. Would have no idea how to react either, and would probably be committed.

Shift: Might be N/A as he can 'tele-stretch'. If it does happen, would lose sleep over it, and would drop off the radar because he's got more important things to do than face a biased court. IF forced to testify (assuming he can be FOUND): "Paper (former group's leader) murdered about a hundred people, including PRIMUS agents, in one fell swoop in Uganda. And you're fixated on one accidental death. B.S."

Emerald Dragon: Would also lose sleep, would consider retiring but PRIMUS knows his secret ID so if they wanted to find him they would, so would probably be forced to testify. Good news is, he can afford a very good lawyer.

October Raven: N/A. His attack of choice is an NND STUN Drain based on EGO and has a CVK. So this would essentially never happen.

Tetsuhana: Being a martial artist who uses nerve strikes and NND throws, there MIGHT be a casualty if he uses his Bullseye-esque object of oppurtunity EB. If this happens, he'll be wary of the courts. He would ONLY agree to stand trial if he was allowed to keep his identity a secret.

Maybe I'd fake my characters death' date=' and take up a new identity or something. [/quote']

A similar situation came up in a game I was in. Nightshade (my character) and Night Owl (my friend's character, VERY loosely based on the Maevel charatcter) discovered that the Chief of Police in New Orleans (our campaign city) was preemtively having people killed because 'the vampires were interested in them' (don't ask). We killed the chief (cut him down in cold blood, more like), but didn't see the security cameras until afterwards. We ran for it, ran down a pair of gang-bangers that had done a drive-by shooting earlier in the campaign, took them out, and put our costumes on them. We then go new costumes for ourselves as 'Mist Dragon' and 'Prowler' and turned the bodies in. :nonp:

Yeah, this was pretty much a Dark Champions game.

Iron Alloy: She'd face the music but the funny thing about her...she can't die. Now granted she doesn't know that yet cuz it's never happened to her but being 'killed' and then waking up in a morgue or grave sometime later would be a seriously decent plot line for her personal story and for the world-scape we play in. Her 'resurrection' would be widly speculated upon I'm sure by the national press. Is it really her? An imposter? A devotee taking up her mantle? She'd probably use the opportunity to change her super identity and move on, though she'd always be wracked with guilt.

Darkness: Screw the country, screw the villians and screw you. I'm not going anywhere and facing anyone. I did what I had to do. Yeah it sucks those people got in the way but I didn't put them there to be killed. I find this accusation a flimsy excuse at best to get me out of the way of the corrupt element in the PD. Extradite me if you can...but you have to find me first.

Yeah...she's Dark Champions all the way.