Champions Seminars At GenCon: What Do *You* Want To See?

Steve Long

Hey folx!

This is the time of year when we plan for the big summer cons, esp. GenCon. This year there's more planning than ever because we're working with Cryptic and have the whole Champions Online thing to consider. Cryptic is one of GenCon's sponsors, which means we can do a bunch of seminars if we'd like to.

So, I thought I'd ask you: if you're coming to GenCon (or even if you're not), what sorts of seminars would you like to see? What topics would interest you enough that you might take a bit of time away from gaming to relax and listen to us talking heads pontificate? ;)

Re: Champions Seminars At GenCon: What Do *You* Want To See?

Hey folx!

This is the time of year when we plan for the big summer cons, esp. GenCon. This year there's more planning than ever because we're working with Cryptic and have the whole Champions Online thing to consider. Cryptic is one of GenCon's sponsors, which means we can do a bunch of seminars if we'd like to.

So, I thought I'd ask you: if you're coming to GenCon (or even if you're not), what sorts of seminars would you like to see? What topics would interest you enough that you might take a bit of time away from gaming to relax and listen to us talking heads pontificate? ;)

I think that showing off the HERO System's capabilities to curious gamers can do a bit for a subtle (or not so subtle) sales pitch.

Could make for a hell of a power point, don't you think?:)

Hmm...

Considering the Hero System's strength as a genre modeling system, a seminar on how to take well-known characters and adapting them to Hero would be a good way to showcase its capabilities in that regard.

Perhaps something inspired by Susano's postings in that subject.

Hmm...

Considering the Hero System's strength as a genre modeling system, a seminar on how to take well-known characters and adapting them to Hero would be a good way to showcase its capabilities in that regard.

Perhaps something inspired by Susano's postings in that subject.

That would be a good way to showcase its strengths.

With Special Guest Susano!:D

I agree about character conversion ... but to add to the ideas:

- The conversion from Pen and Paper to Online RPGs: What to expect from CO.

- Making the Most of Your Points: A guide to the Hero System and character creation.

- Champions 6th Ed: What Do You Want to See?

- Being a Hero: Submission Guide Panel for Hero (Art & Writing)

- Scaling Your Experience: Bringing CO battles to the game table (using an actual demo battle with minis).

- Making the Most of Fantasy: THE Fantasy Hero seminar.

- Putting Space into Science Fiction: Running a successful Star Hero game and how to design some famous starships.

- The Two-Fisted Seminar: Pulp Hero and how to run a good game.

- The Ultimate Seminar: A Q&A with Hero and Cryptic.

- Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting: Modeling Eastern media into Hero.

- Eating Lead: Minis and the Hero System.

- Bring on the Beasts: Modeling creatures into Hero (including fantasy, sci-fi, modern, etc.)

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know :)

I agree about character conversion ... but to add to the ideas:

- The conversion from Pen and Paper to Online RPGs: What to expect from CO.

- Making the Most of Your Points: A guide to the Hero System and character creation.

- Champions 6th Ed: What Do You Want to See?

- Being a Hero: Submission Guide Panel for Hero (Art & Writing)

- Scaling Your Experience: Bringing CO battles to the game table (using an actual demo battle with minis).

- Making the Most of Fantasy: THE Fantasy Hero seminar.

- Putting Space into Science Fiction: Running a successful Star Hero game and how to design some famous starships.

- The Two-Fisted Seminar: Pulp Hero and how to run a good game.

- The Ultimate Seminar: A Q&A with Hero and Cryptic.

- Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting: Modeling Eastern media into Hero.

- Eating Lead: Minis and the Hero System.

- Bring on the Beasts: Modeling creatures into Hero (including fantasy, sci-fi, modern, etc.)

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know :)

Wow. :nonp:

Um, yeah, what he said... :thumbup:

Well, this may be a bit biased, but I'm sure it can be adapted to other genres.

From Comic Book to the Gaming table: why recreating a Comic Book Story is a bad idea. Thsi explains the challenges of the comic book genre, how many common things found in comics just don't work in a superhero RPG based on group play. Perhaps it coudl focus on ways to simulate or recreate some of theese problematical genre issues, such as the swtch to bad guy, the spotlight issue, the imbalance of power among team members, etc.

Or maybe it could be a seminar about recreating troublesome genre traditions in a game in general.

Out of Sketchpad's list, I'll second the MMO, Guide, Q&A, and Pulp Hero seminars.

A "What would you like to see?" session regarding what books to put on the 2010 schedule might also be cool. I know what I'd recommend and would like to see, but of course many others will have other ideas.

"From the Comics to the Gaming Table" is an excellent idea. To the extent I want to cover character conversions (and that's a very small extent at best), it would likely fit into this topic.

I definitely don't want to do any "what do you want to see" panels -- it's a hard enough subject to keep under (semi-)control on a message board. ;)

I think our main focus is going to be Champions (for obvious reasons), but maybe one panel on "Other Genres" would work. I don't think one panel per genre is needed.

Thanx for the suggestions, folx -- keep 'em comin'!

Well I think something on world building would be wonderful, I know when I tried to do a pulp/star hero campeign I had a lot of trouble just designing what things were like...

New one:

- Bring Out Your Dead: Bringing CLOWN back for 6th ed

what? ;)

I was thinking

- Why Karmakaze is always right

what? ;)

On a more serious note, I'd be interested in something about WorldBuilding with the Toolkit. Both involving some of the stuff I've heard about Steve's work on the Ultimate Base, and also generally how to make house rules/packages/magic systems/etc. to fit original settings.

I don't think even the Marvel Universe would revive CLOWN' date=' much less the CU. :P[/quote']

But on the other hand ... Retcons & Resurrections is the RPG choice of most major comic lines ;)

I won't be there. Will you have the rules for kingdoms/nations/corporations on hand? If so, I'd say a demonstration of them in use would be fun, where you seperate the room into two or more fiefdoms and have at it.

I won't be there. Will you have the rules for kingdoms/nations/corporations on hand? If so' date=' I'd say a demonstration of them in use would be fun, where you seperate the room into two or more fiefdoms and have at it.[/quote']

With foam weapons and cardboard armor!! ;)