Religious reason to be a superhero?

Trebuchet

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a side note, the only version of Pascal's wager I've come across is as follows (published in his Pensees of 1658):

"If God does not exist, one will lose nothing by believing in him, while if he does exist, one will lose everything by not believing. "

With 'Pascal's wager' he uses probabilistic and mathematical arguments but his main conclusion is that

"...we are compelled to gamble... "

Sorry for the digression.

Originally posted by Kevin Scrivner

A faith-based hero would tend to regard crime-fighting as a calling rather than just a mere job. It's something she was born to do, is compelled to do. We're not talking a Batman or Punisher style obsession, rather a deep-seated knowing, a confidence that this is what the character is supposed to be doing.

Since she's part of a Avengers-type global spanning hero team, the local politics part is largely moot, but I think your other points are right on. She probably does consider crime fighting a calling, just as many policemen or firemen do. After all, she can do things literally no one else on Earth can do. What else can someone with SPD 9 and DEX 43 do that isn't a waste of her God-given abilities? Dig ditches? Write software? (although, since her secret ID is as a skilled executive assistant, her typing speed is really something to behold!) :D

Originally posted by assault

The point is that that cuts both ways.

Incidentally, there are other "western" moralities than the "Christian" one too.

Really? Name one.

Just for a laugh: it's entirely possible to not consider human life to possess intrinsic value without being a serial killer or a sociopath.
True. You can be a communist and be praised by progressives all over the world.

Originally posted by "V"

On a side note, the only version of Pascal's wager I've come across is as follows (published in his Pensees of 1658):

"If God does not exist, one will lose nothing by believing in him, while if he does exist, one will lose everything by not believing. "

With 'Pascal's wager' he uses probabilistic and mathematical arguments but his main conclusion is that

"...we are compelled to gamble... "

Sorry for the digression.

I think that's a fairly accurate description of how I try to live my life. Sans the first 4 commandments (The ones that describe the relationship between God and Man), the Ten Commandments make a pretty good guide to living a moral life. I'm hoping if he does indeed exist I'll qualify as a "virtuous pagan." :)

I appreciate your thoughts; it's an interesting subject. Keep right on digressing.

"Treat others as you would want to be treated."

Originally posted by Trebuchet

Note that that philosophy in no way prevents a life of total debauchery and hedonism as long as you're OK with your friends and aquaintances enjoying themselves too.

I'd like to think there's a bit more to life than just sex and drugs. :D

I suppose the rules lawyer could get away with that. :)

Um, how about "Be good!!!"

Originally posted by starblaze

BTW Astro City's Confessor series had Catholic Vampire Priest and a team of Christian SuperHeroes. I forget the name.

Cool!!:D

Do you remember who writes/publishes this?

I never heard of it before.

I once saw Paschal's wager accepted by a character in a piece of Catholic Inspirational fiction (about the "End of the World"). He converted (Big surprise).:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Oddhat

I've always liked the idea of the Catholic Church having the worlds largest and most powerful non-governmental Super Team, drawn from all of the devout Catholics world wide who became Supers.

Hey, are you telepathic? Get outta my head!:D

I had a character who had a religious basis, the Demoness.

Her family was heavily into magic and after her birth her grandfather (father's side) had her further enchanted so that she could wield vast powers. When her mother and father found out they fled with her. Eventually they (Mum and Dad)were killed during a Satanic orgy and she managed to find sanctuary with the Protectors (our Superteam and not the published one) where the Magician (another of my characters) became her mentor.

However the Pentacle (a Black Magic group of sorcery, the supers, and technology, the agents) eventually captured her and split her soul in two bonding it with a demon's. Thus she became the Demoness. This made her rather quick to lose her temper and 'judge' others as the Pentacle tried to control her that way. That and to make Black Magic easier for her to use. She also picked up Soul sight.The ability to see someone else's soul (N-Ray vision).

The other part of her soul housed in the Demon body perished and burns in Hell. She knows this.

The Demoness returned to active service and became one of the leaders in due time. She prizes innocence and hates those who kill 'seemingly for the sake of it'. Like the Wolverine clone......

She had a child out of wedlock with another member of the team who was killed by the Pentacle. The child had no paranormal or mutant powers at all.

She was the only member of the team who avowedly belived in God because she knows that Hell exists as a fact, and that she is denied Heaven.

This struck me as a non-Bible quote to the original question:

"You ask why I do good. I can see the evil in people's souls. All the minor, petty little things like thinking they are better than anyone else around them all the way upto the major sins. I can stop people and point them onto a better path because I know what Hell is, and that it exists. And if they won't listen then I can show them Hell. Literally. If necessary....."

Re: Re: WWJD

Originally posted by Trebuchet

Nightfly, don't you ever get tired of sounding like an utter fool? :rolleyes:

I'd rather sound like a fool than a Texan!  Oddly "evildoers" aren't identified quite the same out here in Cali.

Hypocrisy is a wonderful thing isn't it?  Can anyone please give me an example of where Jesus Christ advocates killing??  Anyone??

Just a humble question from a lowly (born in sin??) "fool".

Re: Re: Re: WWJD

Originally posted by Nightfly

I'd rather sound like a fool than a Texan! Oddly "evildoers" aren't identified quite the same out here in Cali.

Hypocrisy is a wonderful thing isn't it? Can anyone please give me an example of where Jesus Christ advocates killing?? Anyone??

Just a humble question from a lowly (born in sin??) "fool".

Why do you feel it necessary to interject utter nonsequiturs into every discussion? I completely fail to see how that's relevent to this thread. While Californian and Texans may not see eye to eye on some political issues, I think both groups would probably agree that rape, robbery, kidnapping, murder, torture, tyranny, child molestation are evil. Or are you claiming most Californians don't consider those things evil?

I can't think of anywhere Jesus advocated killing. Nor was I asking for such examples for my character in this thread; I was asking for Bible quotations to justify her being a superheroine. In point of fact she has a Code vs Killing. Was anyone in this thread talking about justification for killing villains?

I'm glad you think hypocrisy is a good thing; no doubt your life is entirely lived on its principles. As for your preference to "sound like a fool than a Texan," don't worry. You do. :rolleyes:

Tre

Tre,

I guess I could (perhaps creatively) wax-on about how stupid you 'n your opinions are, but that would be redundant.

Texas = unrivaled killing (by the state)

Religion = love thy enemy

Question: Does your heroine use violence to settle problems??

If your Code vs. Killing zealot wants to model herself after someone, (or use their motto, if that's your thing) try Gandhi or MLK (that's short for Martin Luther King, for you proud texans).

I think it would be very easy to justify a character who is Christian in being a "Superhero"

A fundamental part of being Christian (even if sometimes we forget) is we are all sinners and love your neighbors. As a Christian I know I will fall and make plenty of mistakes. However that does not stop me from trying to help people or donating to charities. If I had power to do more I would like to think I would? This is an easy motivation for a Hero. So run with it and don’t let others shoot you down.

TANGENT WARNING: Allot of people get stuck on the whole "Christians Are The Biggest Hypocrites" thing with out ever trying to figure out were they are coming from or identifying it is actually that all humans are Hypocrites not just one religion or another.

There are a lot of Christians out there that are hypocrites yes. However there are a lot of pagans and atheist that are hypocrites also.

How easy it would be to sit here and judge every one else’s actions as individuals and apply them to a whole group. (That is called prejudice. Meaning to Pre-Judge). The most common complaint I here from non-Christians about my religion is that I/we are arrogant and judgmental. Well I got a surprise for you if you are saying I am judgmental before knowing me then you are being judgmental something you apparently have a problem with.

Non of us are perfect so why start getting into name calling and running of on things like that.

As for atrocities committed in the name of god (your oil comments). Those are atrocities. Because someone says god backs me dose mean he does. It only means that person hopes to gain the acceptance of his actions by his pears. Also you should remember plenty of atrocities were committed outside of Christianity also I would not take this to mean all Atheist are like Hitler or Stalin.

Originally posted by Osprey

Cool!!:D

Do you remember who writes/publishes this?

I never heard of it before.

I once saw Paschal's wager accepted by a character in a piece of Catholic Inspirational fiction (about the "End of the World"). He converted (Big surprise).:rolleyes:

Hey, are you telepathic? Get outta my head!:D

Astro City is written by Kurt Busiek and published by Homage Comics, which is an imprint of WildStorm, which is now an imprint of DC. The faith-inspired team in question were called the Cross Breed, but the citizens of AC nicknamed them "the Jesus Freaks."

Re: Tre

Tre,

If your Code vs. Killing zealot wants to model herself after someone, (or use their motto, if that's your thing) try Gandhi or MLK (that's short for Martin Luther King, for you proud texans).

That's the Reverend Martin Luther King Jr., Christian minister.:D

Treb, I think this has a lot of potiential, but there are also a few game mechanic things to consider. :)

I once made a devout super hero who had Change Enviroment, the special effect being a "holy aura" in the area about him. He also had a boost to his HA with a similar SFX. It's absolutely amazing how many villains in supplents have Susceptibility/Vulnerablities to holy ground and attacks :) I really didn't think it would be that useful at the time, but it did. The down side, naturally, is you become Target #1 against foes like Dark Seraph.

You might have decide how such things work in your campaigns. If one wants to hurt say, a vampire lord, will any cross do, or will the character have to have faith IN that?

I recall fondly when the X-men met Dracula. Wolverine tried a 'cross' motion with his claws, to no avail. Dracula sneered, swatted him like a bug and said something to the effect that such things only mattered in the hands of those with true faith.

Enter Nightcrawler, who grabbed two plain sticks, put them together in a similar motion, and said

"Yes monster, But I believe!"

and he hurt Drac BADLY. :D

(Related, Kitty Pyrde tried a crucifix on Dracula, nada. He grabbed her by the throat and yelped as he made contact with her Star of David )

You're definitely going to want to take the 'mechanics' of faith into account.

Re: Tre

Gadfly, I was seriously wondering if your invincible ignorance and patent stupidity was just a clever act, but alas I see it is not. It's a shame some of the intelligent liberals on these boards have to have you as a putative ally; you really lower their collective IQ.

Wax eloquent and in great depth about my many flaws for all I care. You now have an honored place on my Ignore List. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Osprey

I probably should have said earlier...

Orthodox folks don't place the same priority as Protestant denominations in knowing Scripture back to front.

She may have studied these verses, but may not be able to quote or cite them.

Good point. I wasn't planning on having her pop off Bible quotations at the drop of a hat, only that she takes her religion seriously and honestly. Even most Roman Catholics (Heck, most atheists!) know a few quotes from the Bible; after all it's the central literary source for all of western civilization. Do you know anyone in your life that routinely wears a cross and takes his or her faith seriously? I certainly know lots of people like that.

I think some people have got the wrong idea in this thread. Zl'f is not some type of religious avenger-type; just a young and idealistic woman with high moral standards. She's looking for the same kind of justification that a Christian policeman or soldier would seek in their choice of careers, with the added difficulty of a firm belief that killing is usually wrong. She'd probably never kill anyone herself no matter what the provocation.

Her faith is part of her background, not a central part of the character concept. I just wanted some ammo if someone challenged her being a superheroine as somehow being "wrong" because it involves violence. (If you knew how detailed my character's background writeup is, you'd understand. It's three full 8½ x 11 pages with narrow margins in a 10 point font. That doesn't even include the 2-page writeup of her DNPCs and the short story... :) )

Originally posted by Hermit

Treb, I think this has a lot of potiential, but there are also a few game mechanic things to consider. :)

I once made a devout super hero who had Change Enviroment, the special effect being a "holy aura" in the area about him. He also had a boost to his HA with a similar SFX. It's absolutely amazing how many villains in supplents have Susceptibility/Vulnerablities to holy ground and attacks :) I really didn't think it would be that useful at the time, but it did. The down side, naturally, is you become Target #1 against foes like Dark Seraph.

You might have decide how such things work in your campaigns. If one wants to hurt say, a vampire lord, will any cross do, or will the character have to have faith IN that?

You're definitely going to want to take the 'mechanics' of faith into account.

Actually, I once had a similar experience with this same character when I (briefly)) played her in another campaign before I started this one I'm in now. Our hero team, the Sentinels, was fighting a Demon Lord in Albany IIRC. My character (called Flash Dancer in those days) was the only team member who was devoutly christian and routinely wore a Russian Orthodox crucifix. Not only was the bad guy unable to look at her crucifix, but when he actually managed to hit her and knock her into the nearest building it turned out to be (wait for it) a Russian Orthodox church. Because of her faith he not only couldn't enter the building to finish her off, but when she recovered and reentered the battle she was able to burn him badly with holy water taken from the nave.

Ya gotta have faith. :D