Unique, interesting powers

Jim

Re: Unique, interesting powers

Are you looking for powers, or special effects ideas? The reason I ask is I have a character named Grey Ghost who is a hero/villain dresses as a Confederate General and uses ghost powers.

He has Desolid, and attacks with "Ghost Pistols" which are really just an EGO Attack which he can use while he's out of phase.

Think of them as Ghost bullets.

one of my first Champions characters was a Martial Artist/Acrobat named Eight Ball, he was originally built with 4D6 Unluck usable against others as an attack, uncontrolled, only when he was attacked from behind... I was informed later this was not allowed under Hero rules... and that it had to be bought as a Change Environment, which I thought was silly. since theres no way of really modeling random effects beyond an activation roll. it didnt work very often to begin with, especially since he couldnt deliberately give somebody a backshot to activate it

had another character based loosely on Casca the Eternal Mercenary, who had a 10 pt skills only VPP, with a fair number of limitations. I also used the same idea to model Jarrod from "The Pretender" TV series

one of my first Champions characters was a Martial Artist/Acrobat named Eight Ball, he was originally built with 4D6 Unluck usable against others as an attack, uncontrolled, only when he was attacked from behind... I was informed later this was not allowed under Hero rules... and that it had to be bought as a Change Environment, which I thought was silly. since theres no way of really modeling random effects beyond an activation roll. it didnt work very often to begin with, especially since he couldnt deliberately give somebody a backshot to activate it

had another character based loosely on Casca the Eternal Mercenary, who had a 10 pt skills only VPP, with a fair number of limitations. I also used the same idea to model Jarrod from "The Pretender" TV series

Actually, a triggered Transform with an automatic reset would be the way to do it. Either that, or a Transform Damage Shield with limited coverage (back only) if you were willing to have it only work on attacks that hit your character. It would be a LOT of points for a power that got nixed by a few points of power defenst or a lot of BOD on the victim.

• 1 year later...

I had some free time and I borrowed a friends Grendel vs Batman trade paperback (I really enjoyed it). I decided to make a PC version of Grendel. I won't post the whole write up, as he's a pretty generic Martial Artist, but something I WAS happy with was how well his Fork came out. I think I did a really good job on it, what do ya think?

22 Fork: Multipower, 45-point reserve, (45 Active Points); all slots OAF: Fork (-1)

1u 1) Reach: Stretching 2", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½) (15 Active Points); OAF: Fork (-1), no Noncombat Stretching (-¼)

1u 2) Blades: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6 (3d6+1 w/STR) (30 Active Points); OAF: Fork (-1)

1u 3) Shaft: Hand-To-Hand Attack +1d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½) (7 Active Points); OAF: Fork (-1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-½)

1u 4) Electric Fork: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6, No Normal Defense (Force Field, Force Wall, Not Grounded; +1), Does BODY (+1) (45 Active Points); 3 Charges (-1 ¼), OAF: Fork (-1), Limited Range (2"; -¼)

1u 5) Pole Valt: Leaping +9" (13" forward, 6 ½" upward) (Accurate), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½) (21 Active Points); OAF: Fork (-1)

1u 6) Swingline: Swinging 20" (20 Active Points); OAF: Fork (-1)

Now it looks pretty generic right? But if you look, He's able to use the Reach slot with every slot except is RKA NND. What I did was limit the RKA to 2" so it is essentially the same range as the stretching. He can also have the Pole Vault, Stretching, and HA active at the same time. I don't know, maybe others have done things like this all the time, but I rarely do Multipowers with more points than I have to (highest active cost slot), and how well this worked out was just cool to me. I also liked the picture

[ATTACH=CONFIG]35096[/ATTACH]

Being a born-again n00b (i.e. played Champions a lot in the early '80's, but not at all since), I am curious as to what everyone's favorite power design was. You know, the power (or power set) you spent a lot of time conceptualizing and designing, getting the special effects, advantages and limitations just right. The power you're really proud of, not just your most effective power.

Jim

To be perfectly honest - more than I could list. I've come up with a lot of constructs I'm proud of.

But here's the strangest idea I ever had: Megascale Growth.

(Not sure I'm proud of it, but it probably qualifies me to claim to have a very strange and twisted mind)

Since Megascale doesn't effect mass, just volume, you almost have to combine Desolid (or something similar) above a certain level, to make any kind of sense.

I've used it twice, neither for a character that saw actual play.

Once for a character who was a vast cloud of gas and energy in natural form, bigger than a planet.

Once to write up Omnipresence in a thread about writing up Gods. In that case, I looked up the dimensions of the observable universe and expanded the power accordingly.

At the other end of the power scale, I combined Deduction and Eidetic Memory, No Conscious Control.

The character never knew when an apparently irrelevant and forgotten detail would pop up, form a pattern with something else, and create an unexpected insight.

Lucius Alexander

And a conspicuously absent

The great standby of unusual abilities is the old Instant Change (back in the day when that was a separate Power), Usable Against Others (known these days as Usable As Attack).

Someone once used that ability to change Armadillo's powered armor into a pink tutu. It still had all of the same abilities, including full-coverage armor; it just looked for all the world like a pink tutu.

Hey! Great minds think alike (and so do ours). During the Great Foxbat-Batman Quest, Freddy built the Costumatron (Instant Change UAO) to force Adam West and Burt Ward into their original costumes. IIRC, Burt complained about his costume still chafing. Foxbat had also built the Phonic Optical Waveform (POW) generator, which was basically just Images to create "POW!" "BASH!" and "KA-BAM!" holograms during the fight with the heroes. (The heroes hated the "WHIFF!" one the most.) Though a very simple power writeup, I was rather proud of the name.

My namesake character, Bolo, had Teleport (I think 15") and Gliding, and I always thought this was a great movement power combo. Teleport up, glide for a bit, and when you get too low, just teleport back up and continue gliding.

I recently created a store's lost-and-found clerk who unknowingly has the following powers:

What Are You Looking For? Telepathy 1d6, Fully Invisible Power Effects (+½), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½), Cumulative (4x = 24; +1); Receive surface thoughts only (-¾), Only to see what the person is seeking (-¼), No Conscious Control (-2). Cost: 4

Where Is It? Detect Physical Object, Sense, 360-degree Arc, Fully Penetrative (blocked by magic wards and force fields), Telescopic (+12 vs. Range Modifiers), Targeting. Cost: 43

Bring It To Me: Teleport 3m, MegaScale (1m=1 km; +1), Usable as Attack (not through magic wards or force fields; +1¼), Ranged (+½), No Range Modifiers (+ ½), Indirect (source point and path can vary with every use; +1), Fully Invisible Power Effects (+1); No Conscious Control (-2), Only to bring objects (50 kg or less) to her vicinity (-½). Cost: 5

“Your umbrella? Are you sure you didn’t leave it in your car? No, wait, here it is! Someone must have found it and dropped it off…”

My namesake character, Bolo, had Teleport (I think 15") and Gliding, and I always thought this was a great movement power combo. Teleport up, glide for a bit, and when you get too low, just teleport back up and continue gliding.
Somewhat similarly, I've got an idea for a character with powers based on the quantum observer effect, usually functioning in mutually exclusive pairs, one them being:

Uncertain Location - Teleportation 40m PLUS Teleportation 2m, Trigger (automatic reset, teleports in a random direction every segment, no control; +1/2), Reduced END (0 END; +1/2),

Certain Location - Flight 2m, Only to Prevent Falling (-1) PLUS Knockback Resistance 20m

Another one would be:

Nowhere Man - Mental Illusions 1d6, AoE (2m Radius; +1/4), Megascale (1 km; +1 1/4), Continuous (+1/2), Reduced END (0 END; +1/2), NND (non-observer state of mind, attainable by zen meditation, psychic surgery, or quantum powers; +1), Cumulative (96 points; +1 1/2), Invisible Power Effects (+1/2), Indirect (Fully Indirect; +1), Set Effect ("I'm not here, anything I do didn't happen or someone else did it"; -1/2)

Center of Attention - +50 PRE, Limited Power (Not for defense; -1), Limited Power (Not usable vs anyone immune to Nowhere Man; -1/4)

I had (and still do, but he's retired right now) a character who had a large tranform only vs tech/machines. He normally used it to turn a hrmful machine into somthing like a radio (playing "his song") or a lamp. Irritated tech villians to no end. ALmost useless away from tech items. "He's using a wooden club. I'm doomed."

Here is one from an old character I dug out to update to 6th edition.

I can fit in anywhere: Cramming (5 Active Points); Extra Time (Several days rather than hours, -1 1/2), Limited Power Only to pick up Language, Area Knowledge, or Culture Knowledge, of area he is in (-1) Real Cost 1

Lucius Alexander

Unique, interesting palindromedary

Here is one from an old character I dug out to update to 6th edition.

I can fit in anywhere: Cramming (5 Active Points); Extra Time (Several days rather than hours, -1 1/2), Limited Power Only to pick up Language, Area Knowledge, or Culture Knowledge, of area he is in (-1) Real Cost 1

Lucius Alexander

Unique, interesting palindromedary

Haughty Villain: He's a palindromedary. He sticks out like a sore thumb. We'll find him.

Dashing Hero: The hell you will. He's got a two day head start on you, which is more than he needs. The palindromedary's got friends in every town and village from here to the Sudan, he speaks a dozen languages, knows every local custom, he'll blend in, disappear, you'll never see him again. With any luck, he's got the grail already.

Haughty Villain: He's a palindromedary. He sticks out like a sore thumb. We'll find him.

Dashing Hero: The hell you will. He's got a two day head start on you, which is more than he needs. The palindromedary's got friends in every town and village from here to the Sudan, he speaks a dozen languages, knows every local custom, he'll blend in, disappear, you'll never see him again. With any luck, he's got the grail already.

Haughty Villain: But he's a two-headed camel, how well can he fit in ANYWHERE?