Fantasy Art Thread

Enforcer84

Re: Fantasy Art Thread

These are borderline "fantasy", but I thought it can't hurt to show.

I tend to get really antsy on vacations if I don't do some art. I can go about 3 days before getting a bit itchy. So, I've learned to always take my wee little windsor newton travel watercolor kit (which can fit in my back pocket, it really is awesome!). Now I'm not the greatest watercolorist, I really only do a lot of it when I'm doing casual, fun stuff, art for play, as opposed to professional illustration.

So, here are some shady photos of the watercolors I did while down in Puerto Rico. Since I couldn't get them to a scanner, I shot these with our digital camera.

First up, Mercedes, Millie's sister, loves angels. Mercedes was always very sweet to me 20 years ago and now that I'm back with her sister, she picked right up where she left off. Her son, Christian, was our guide on several days and is a real sweet young man. So, here is her angel.

MerchieAngel72.jpg

Next, Millie's folks go to this church in San Isabel, the town they live in. It is in a nice little plaza square and this was actually the last watercolor I did in PR on this trip. It was quick too. About an hour and 1/2,some folks in the plaza stopped by and watched me doing it.

SanIsabelPlaza72.jpg

Last, Christina, Mercedes daughter, really likes fairies. Millie's dad had picked some fresh gondules, a bean that looks like it comes in a pea pod. I've had them many times in PR cooking, but never fresh. After Don Angel had picked them, Kristina and her husband Fernando and I shucked them while having a nice little conversation. So when she asked for a fairy pic, I thought given our shared fun with gondules, it would make a nice PR fairy.

GondulesFairy72.jpg

Hope you get a kick out of these.

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 Generic

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok folks, a couple of new commissions for Death Tribble's supers game, as well as my concept art for the latest ArtBlog challenge, Strength Character for a "Roaring Skies" concept. Think bikers on floating motor-air cycles.

I took this opportunity to play around with doing an underpainting in liquid acrylic by hand, then scanning it in and doing the color via Painter and Photoshop. Not quite happy with the paper texture, felt a bit "blotchy" to me.

Here is the link to the blog, so you can see a bunch of other folk's concepts for "Strength"... and mine is below..

http://theartorder.com/?p=584

StornStrengthCharacter1.jpg

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

• 2 weeks later...

The ArtOrder concept tuesday rolls along and this is the next installment.

Link: http://theartorder.com/?p=606

This is my "swiss army knife" concept. It is an Elven Sky Chariot, and it is tries to live up to Jon's expectation of

"This is a machine that has more add-on’s than you can imagine. It is the MacGyver of machinery. Able to do anything, anytime."

I actually kept the "add-ons" to a minimum, but the addition of manipulative "etherkinetic" arms I think gives it the aspect of being able to meet lots of mission parameters.

I had an odd inspiration for this one... as a kid, I was very much into building Tamiya tanks from WWII. Especially those from the North Africa campaign (Matildas, Mark IVs and Grants...oh my!). Those models, especially the SAS lorries and jeeps really captured my imagination. I love all the gear that was just slapdashed onto these vehicles.... shovels, axes, bedrolls, camouflage nets, you name it. It was that practicality of the soldier that I tried to infuse into this image. Yup, its fantasy, but ya still need a bedroll, cause you ain't sleeping that Elven "egg". So there is all kinds of odd gear spackled to my Elven Sky Chariot.

elvenskychariot72.jpg

Okay, y'all get a repeat of the elven sky chariot... but I wanted to gang up all three flier concepts for the upcoming Roaring Skies challenge over at the ArtOrder blog. Link to the ArtOrder blog: http://theartorder.com/?p=606

I really had fun with this... just goofy fun.

The Warforged is kinda Eberron specific... but the thought of giant dudes plugging themselves into even more gigantic machines seemed kinda fun to me.

Illthids using their mouths to manipulate their machines seemed.... appropriately gross to me.

Hope y'all like...

StornCookRoarSkyTrio.jpg

Thanks. I ran it through quite a number of PostworkShop filters to get the look right.

Incidentally, I have some generic fantasy portraits on my website which people are free to use under a creative commons licence - both raw renders and filtered. I'll be adding to them when I find my round tuit.

www.penultimateharn.com/3dgallery/gallery.html

Here's an image intended for my creative commons gallery which I haven't got round to uploading to my website yet. Released under the Creative Commons 'Attribution - Non-commercial - Share Alike' licence. Required attribution: http://www.penultimateharn.com. You can (and I hope will) use it in any non-commercial project you choose to.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38040[/ATTACH]

• 2 weeks later...

Here is some fun feedback from the clients. A friend of the below shown couple commissioned from me a picture of their characters as a wedding present. They were so nice to send me a photo of them posing with the pic in question. check it out. gave me a wide smile when I got in the email.

RauceJBIIIF72.jpg

weddingpic.jpg

And then the same patron got one done of his very own characters done.

SnipeF72.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Another challenge at ArtOrder.

This one was to include a female knight fighting a beholder in a forest clearing. But here is the rub. While maintaining a "fantasy" vibe, it had to target a demographic that we don't usually work for.

So, the target audiences was broken down into these categories:

Under 2 (infant)

2-4 (pre-school)

5-7 (early elementary)

8-12 (tween)

13-17 (teen)

18-24 (young adult)

25-34

35-44

45+

Now, usually I work between young adult and 35-44... the rpg market. So in order to go beyond my usual demographic targets, I had to go either to tween and younger or older.

Well, my first instinct was to go younger. But then the thread over at the ArtBlog showed me that everyone was doing that. So I went older, for the 45+ market. The retired folks. And that made me think of AARP. Then I knew I had a more editorial, political commentary idea to talk about. I never get even think of doing something political, so I was kinda excited to do something along these lines. So here is my entry.

By the way, I'm the only one who did 45+. I have some small sense of pride about that!

Here is the original link to the challenge: http://theartorder.com/2011/02/23/segmentation-and-art/

Here is the link to the 32 submissions, mind included:

http://theartorder.com/2011/03/21/segmentation-line-up/comment-page-1/#comment-3195

And for those who don't want to click through all those submissions, here is my artwork:

StornCookSegmentationF.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a blast from my past. One of the trends I notice about myself is much of my artwork is NDA (non disclosure agreement)... and by the time the art is published and I can share it, I've moved on and forgotten about it.

I don't think I ever shared these publicly. If I have, well, forgive my senior moment. And while they are several years old, it was the beginning of my style of coloring digital "watercolor" over my pencil, letting the pencil texture bleed through here and there.

I did these for Mongoose Conan supplements. And I've always had a soft spot for them. I really love the Conan books as a kiddo and it was really exciting to get to put my spin on these characters.

KingConanIIloRes.jpg

ZenobiaIIloRes.jpg

FalconloRes.jpg

OlgerdloRes.jpg

These are NOT creative commons, copyright Mongoose Games.