Fantasy Art Thread

Enforcer84

Re: Fantasy Art Thread

Here's a picture of what out D20 group got up to last weekend.

My PC is the jumping guy, the cleric casting spritual weapon is my wife's PC and we've got the big meat shield and the fire sorceress (Lars and Maj-Britt's characters). The fifth PC (the healer/sage type) is out of sight - because she was hiding :D

cheers, Mark

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a picture of what out D20 group got up to last weekend.

My PC is the jumping guy, the cleric casting spritual weapon is my wife's PC and we've got the big meat shield and the fire sorceress (Lars and Maj-Britt's characters). The fifth PC (the healer/sage type) is out of sight - because she was hiding :D

cheers, Mark

Nice pick :thumbup: I have to admit, most of what I've seen from these tools (is it Poser?) don't usually grab me, but this one is done rather well. The poses seem more natural than they usually do. Very nice. Repped.

Nice pick :thumbup: I have to admit' date=' most of what I've seen from these tools (is it Poser?) don't usually grab me, but this one is done rather well. The poses seem more natural than they usually do. Very nice. Repped.[/quote']

Yeah, poser is one of those tools that lets you make really bad pictures easily :D All the regular rules about composition (which I still really suck at) colour, naturalism, etc still apply.

However, that said, if you can master the artistic aspects, Poser is a very useful tool and these days, has found its way into most professional digital artists' toolbox, even if only as a reference tool.

As for me, I'm very definitely a hobbyist/learner: so most of the pics I make, I never post or even keep, because I am so disappointed with the results. This one just barely made the grade as "acceptable". It's still less dynamic than I'd like.

cheers, Mark

Mr Mardock,

when I click on the pic all I see is black, so I go to a setting on my vid card which I use for online gaming (to see better at night) where the gamma is all the way up.

red show up as dose the teeth of the wold and dagger and basket.

Is this a problem with my settings?

Lord Ghee

Mr Mardock,

when I click on the pic all I see is black, so I go to a setting on my vid card which I use for online gaming (to see better at night) where the gamma is all the way up.

Lord Ghee

check the gamma on the System settings. And if that doesn't help - get a new monitor. It's not a bright image, but it's not that dark either.

Mr Mardock,

Lord Ghee

I'd agree with the others - either it's a gamma problem or a monitor problem: it looks fine to me, both at home and on the work computer - (however, those are all LCD monitors: I've no idea what it'd look like on a CRT, if that's what you have)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Bunneh!

Very nice… I believe I have one of those old Ral Partha Sea Dragon models waiting for me amongst the huge pile (many thousands - eek!) of figures that are in my possession and need painting. Shame that I have not painted a thing since 1995 - and would need a rather stronger daylight bulb to see by as the old eyesight is not what it was (as well as a LOT of practice to even get close to what I used to be quality-wise).

This was my attempt in the 1992 UK Golden Demon awards (as featured in White Dwarf 151)

http://demonwinner.free.fr/uk/1992/golden_demon_winner.php?categorie=2

(mine is the second place entry - the gloopy diseased guys in the livery of bile green, pus yellow and #### brown)

The camera operator was apparently not used to his gear so the colour balance is a bit off, but there you are.

Hey Bunneh!

Very nice… I believe I have one of those old Ral Partha Sea Dragon models waiting for me amongst the huge pile (many thousands - eek!) of figures that are in my possession and need painting. Shame that I have not painted a thing since 1995 - and would need a rather stronger daylight bulb to see by as the old eyesight is not what it was (as well as a LOT of practice to even get close to what I used to be quality-wise).

This was my attempt in the 1992 UK Golden Demon awards (as featured in White Dwarf 151)

http://demonwinner.free.fr/uk/1992/golden_demon_winner.php?categorie=2

(mine is the second place entry - the gloopy diseased guys in the livery of bile green, pus yellow and #### brown)

The camera operator was apparently not used to his gear so the colour balance is a bit off, but there you are.

Golden Demon winner?!? [vader]Impressive. Most impressive.[/vader] :thumbup:

A little something I just finished... A sea dragon. :)

4101305305_20b1073cff.jpg

4101305461_cbcba675ee.jpg

4102060806_1634057b8f.jpg

4102060964_cf427fc343.jpg

I was gonna say "I Sea Nothing", but it turns out it's just that Flickr is blocked form work (the images don't show up). Still I had to unload my pun.

Whew. I feel better.

Blue, that is a gorgeous mini paint job. Love it.

Here are couple of color interior pics that I did for Hero 6th edition and now that it is out, I can share...These were done primarily in Painter IX, a bit of Photoshop, over scanned pencils. I like the grittiness of the pencils bleeding through the digital paint here and there.

This first one was really Fred Hicks baby, he is the art director. He came up with the idea of a evil bard as the main antagonist for a intrepid band of adventurers. I really thought that was cool. I sorta went pied piper.

Bard172.jpg

This one was the 2nd in a series about this heroic duo that I made up to represent the more sword and sorcery vibe that Hero 6th could do (as opposed to D&D vibe, the band of heroes thing). I knew Fred loved Apes and Gorillas...so I made one of the duo just that.

Duo272.jpg

images are shown with permission by Hero Games

I don't agree for ALL fantasy. I asked the client if he wanted borders on this map and he said no...which I think was a good decision... as he wanted a loose territory for the three major duchies/baronies/territories... but I've run games where I wanted very tight borders as the geo-political situation was more analagous to cold war europe... we needed to know where the borders where' date=' where it was arbitrary and where it followed logical geographical features.[/quote']

I tend to agree. While things were often loose in terms of national frontiers, internally various land grants often had very specifically defined boundaries. Also, it depends on the era. In medieval Europe things were often in flux, or ill defined, but the Romans had very specific maps with borders for provinces, territories and the extent of the empire. They may have been limited in terms of accuracy due to cartographic data and technique, but they certainly had lines on their maps.