Fantasy Art Thread

Enforcer84

Re: Fantasy Art Thread

A couple more fantasy bits. First up a duo of a deep gnome and deep dwarf. Private commission.

GerymnGlimnor72.jpg

Next is yet another ArtOrder blog challenge. This time, for the ultimate fighter! There was 71 entries, including this one. My concept is that this guy is such a bad ass that he can kick your ass without even seeing you. While 71 entries are a ton to wade through, there are some real gems. The link to ArtOrder is here:

http://theartorder.com/2011/04/11/ultimate-fighter-challenge-line-up/

And my entry:

StornCook02UltimateWarrior.jpg

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 Generic

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice blind fighter. That's interesting minimalist armor. I don't think I've seen that before. Is that from actual historical use or strictly fantasy?

Oh, I totally made it up. Although the shoulder stuff is pretty reasonable and based on armor visuals that i've seen often.

There is a really exciting challenge over at ArtOrder, Eowyn vs. the Nazgul King..here at this link (be warned, it is many pages, many images, as this is a WiP thread): http://artorder.ning.com/forum/topics/eowyn-and-the-nazgul

I have a local comic convention this weekend, and I haven't done comics in quite some time. So, instead of competing head to head with all the unbelievable painters, I decided to play to my strengths; my pencils and my action.

Just so you don't have to sift through the entire thread for my stuff... I will condense it here:

Some prelim doodles

Eowynvsmiscsk.jpg

My thumbs for the 2 pages

Eowynvsthumbs.jpg

First page

EowynvsNazpg1reduxp72.jpg

2nd page

EowynvsNazpg2p72.jpg

Your pencil work is stunning.

Must spread rep, yadda yadda.

Lots of great work in that link you sent. I really like your improved version for panel 2 on the first page by the way. I think it's what jumped out at me the most.

Spectacular work on that comic, Storn. Some of the best Tolkien work I've seen, John Howe and Alan Lee not excepted. And if you know in what high regard their work is held, then you will realise in what high regard I hold yours.

PS: I tried to rep you, as you deserve, but "must spread rep" and all that blah.

• 2 weeks later...

http://amr.comicgenesis.com/amr0001.html - This is a link I post for people who complain their art skills are too poor to bother improving.

Oh that's not it. Well it sort of is, I'm not terrible. I was an art student for a while and I was improving...but I like looking at art and making characters and writing more than I liked drawing. The images in my head never hit the paper exactly as I wanted them. I lack the patience to ever learn to properly paint with photoshop, or ink for that matter. I think if I dedicated myself I'd be passable. I've seen the early works of artists I admire and know they were at my level at one point. But it was never going to be a career for me. I don't have the vision some do. I still buy sketch books and draw, I even share on my DA page. But at this point it's less of a hobby than it once was.

• 5 weeks later...

It has been awhile since i've posted. I've had this art done for awhile, but I've been lazy. I've been busy with a few different things in my life. The Nazgul vs. Eowyn challenge was hellaciously time consuming. But here it is in it's finished form, i was going to letter it, but changed my mind since lettering isn't my strong suit and I wanted to put my best foot forward.

Donato gave me a nice mention in his critique.

And here is a link to the other entries:

http://theartorder.com/2011/05/16/eowyn-and-the-nazgul-challenge-line-up/

And the link to the judges comments:

http://theartorder.com/2011/05/24/eowyn-and-the-nazgul-challenge-judging/

And my pages so you don't have to sift through all the art on those links if you don't want to.

Eowynpage1.jpg

Eowynpage2.jpg

The other thing that is happening in my life is that I'm getting married (in just a few days). Millie, my fiancée, also happens to be my ex-wife.... and I told our story in comic form for the invitation. I've been really coming back to my beginnings, not only in my upcoming wedding, but by doing a lot of sequential art of late.

So, thought I would share my invitation with y'all. And if you do drop by on my wedding day, bring a dish to pass or some beer.

weddingpg1100G.jpg

weddingpg2100.jpg

more art to come.... I've got a few things done. Probably post tomorrow

I promised some more artwork and here it is. First up, an illustration I did for Black Gate magazine awhile back. Unfortunately, it printed a bit dark, but I like the composition.

If you are a fan of fantasy and you aren't reading black gate, you are doing yourself a disservice. There are some very nice articles on gaming, history of past writers, very good reviews of up and coming novels and some great short stories. It is really a privilege to do work for Black Gate. Here is the link to their site:

http://www.blackgate.com/

And here is the pic:

APound72.jpg

And this is a companion commission to one that I did 10!!! years ago.

IndigoF72.jpg

and here is the one I did 10 years ago...

NekoLoRes.jpg

And a recent fantasy commission. Of which, appears in Image Portfolio 3, if anyone wants a higher resolution. I've teamed up with LPJ Design and will be releasing some artworks in higher resolutions to make an extra buck here and there. Linkage: http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=92173

artwork:

Isobelle72.jpg

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 Generic

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to be a pill Ragitsu but if you didn't create those could you give us props to the artist or remove them? This thread is mostly for us to share ours, not just a fantasy art dump. (Though we have shared outside one's they have all been, to my knowledge properly attributed)

(Regardless of what that Grail fellow was doing)