T-Minus Fourteen Hours and One Minute (Or So) To Gametime

Theron

Tomorrow will mark the first time I've run Champions in nearly three years. My last attempt, with a group consisting of...well, it was just generally a bad mix, went poorly. This time, I'm a bit more hopeful, with my wife and a friend who's one of the best supers genre players I've ever gamed with. Our third is new to the system, but a long-timer in HeroClix and comics fandom, so I'm hopeful he'll catch on quickly. It's going to be a weird mix of characters, with Oracle, a woman who can channel the power of three different goddesses, one at a time; Byte Torrent, a living incarnation of the internet; and Rex Radium - Atomic Detective, a hardboiled radioactive gumshoe from an alternate retrofuturist timeline.

I've got the adventure outline, the important NPCs, the threat, and the counters made up. I just hope I remember how to run the game.

Wish me luck.

Re: T-Minus Fourteen Hours and One Minute (Or So) To Gametime

You don't need luck, man. You have great ideas and tons of experience, and your group sounds full of promise. As for the three-year hiatus, that was just to revitalize your gaming chi. It'll be like riding a bicycle, falling off a log, fill in your own trite-but-comforting cliche. ;)

But if it makes you feel better, Good Luck. :)

Y'know, I think it was Mas Oyama who said that he could take one group of students and run drills all day, and have the other group meditate on actual combat and the practice of karate all day, and that the second group would be superior.

I assume you've been thinking about Champs quite a bit, considering -- so put the past problem with the unrelated group behind you and go in with no expectations. Or, as my dad said, "Quit playing the last hole and play this one."

Of course, I'm running tomorrow and I've got stage fright, and these are people I've RUN before.

I had stage fright yesterday. I had no adventure until 15 minutes INTO the session.

Been there. Best solution (IMO) is to mess with the PCs heads, especially about stuff they may have already done (or not done, as the case may be). Get them paranoid enough and they will almost write the scenario for you.

I had stage fright yesterday. I had no adventure until 15 minutes INTO the session.

Nothing more nerve-wracking than everybody looking at you expectantly when you thought it was someone else's turn to run.

I tend to extemporate -- 'color' scenes and 'establishment' shots to give people an overview while I try like hell to plot.

If all else fails grab ahold of some lims and go with it..... a coupla Hunteds, a secret id...done...

I once had a Hero who was a detective in his secret ID get hired to tail a public ID char and report back. (He was hired by a straw man for VIPER) toss in a red hering or so, and not only do you fill a blank, but you can use the loose ends for later games and be though a genius of forshadowing!

It went well. I'll probably start a new thread about it, but overall, I'm pretty happy. The big combat encounter, which I expected to take up most of the session went really fast, which left me scrambling to figure out what to do next. Fortunately, I still have a 16- on Improvisational GMing, and made the roll by a hefty margin. :)

I appreciate the kind thoughts. This is sort of an awakening for me as a GM after a very long layoff. It felt good to get back in the saddle and our next session is already booked for two weeks from now.