Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

The season finale of Crime Scene Kitchen had something interesting. 

Spoiler

A cruffin... mash-up of a croissant and a muffin. I've never heard of them but they sound really good. I won't be making them myself, though. They seem a little labor intensive. And they were filled, not like this picture. 

maxresdefault.jpg

17 hours ago, Logan D. Hurricanes said:

The season finale of Crime Scene Kitchen had something interesting. 

Hide contents

A cruffin... mash-up of a croissant and a muffin. I've never heard of them but they sound really good. I won't be making them myself, though. They seem a little labor intensive. And they were filled, not like this picture. 

maxresdefault.jpg

Croissant dough is a ROYAL PITA, much like puff pastry dough.  I've seen the instructions for puff pastry.  I shut the cookbook and put it next to my signed Necronomicon.....  

But....yeah...if you make the crescent moon shape, then something like sliced in half, with a swipe of raspberry preserve or orange marmalade for each half, then a drizzle of ganache over the top.......

I don't need a personal chef to do dinner, I need one to do BREAKFAST....

Homemade dumpling dough gives me fits.  At least I can get premade wrappers for wontons/gyoza/momos, but I'm out of luck when it comes to trying to make har gow. At least my filling is good and I can adapt it to fried rice.

Meanwhile, hoping to make actual homemade pie dough this weekend to see if I can pull it off for Thanksgiving et al.

Winter though, I need to try making pierogi again.  I owe it to my late grandmother.  Plus, they actually appreciate pierogi here in Cleveland...

Trick with pie dough, from what I've seen, is keeping things COLD.  You want to maintain small dabs of butter scattered throughout.  I'll admit, I never bothered.  Streusel toppings. :) Or pre-made crusts.  I moved away from most things along these lines, but not here.  Or...well, not to making my own.  Pumpkin pie filling is a custard.  It doesn't need a crust, per se.  Apple?  Streusel topping.  Cheesecake...mmm, well, OK, a crust.

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

Trick with pie dough, from what I've seen, is keeping things COLD.  You want to maintain small dabs of butter scattered throughout.  I'll admit, I never bothered.  Streusel toppings. :) Or pre-made crusts.  I moved away from most things along these lines, but not here.  Or...well, not to making my own.  Pumpkin pie filling is a custard.  It doesn't need a crust, per se.  Apple?  Streusel topping.  Cheesecake...mmm, well, OK, a crust.

Fortunately, for my pumpkin chiffon pie, I blast together gingersnaps, sugar, pecans and melted butter in the ol' food processor and press in the pie pan for that before a quick 15 minute bake-off.  Similar route for the cheesecake (using graham crackers). :)

Instant Pot was a major seller, but they made several common mistakes, it looks like.  The company owns Pyrex, Corelle, Corningware, and Snapware (lids for Pyrex, storage containers)...can't figure Corning sold those cheap.  And Chicago Cutlery.  Anchor Hocking is big in the glass cookware market;  Glad and Ziploc dominate the local grocery store shelves for plastic storage.  And kitchen knives are a TOUGH market.  

And Instant Pots have a pretty darn finite market.  I suspect they overbuilt, overexpanded.  Guess what?  The pandemic market was *great* for pressure cookers, but that's a demand bubble.  It burst.  EVERYONE is getting crucified with supply chain issues...I went to market earlier today, and practically fainted looking at the prices of some of the secondary meat cuts.  Yeah, THAT MUCH higher than even, say, a month ago.

So when the market for the Instant Pots wasn't there?  Still have allllll that debt service to cover those acquisitions and production expansion.  They also may have too many models;  that complicates logistics, and raises costs somewhat.