Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

Sad food-related news.

Anchor Brewing has become another victim of the pandemic.  Company noted that 70% of their sales was to restaurants.  Dining was hit long and hard, and has been slow to recover.  They tried to go more into retail, but that's a HARD market these days.  They ran out of time.  They have ceased brewing, and given 60 days' notice to all employees.  They'll package and sell what they have in the pipeline already, but after that......

Serious bummer for me.  Anchor was one of the first breweries I really cut my teeth on, when I started exploring real beer. 

I've never heard of a Cotton Candy Burrito. Googling it leads me to an ice cream parlor on the opposite side of town from me. It doesn't look like something I'd want to try, however.

It's been a very long time since I ate tomalley, it's basically the green stuff in the gut of a Maine lobster (the equivalent of a liver and pancreas). 

My parents were big fans of Grape-Nuts Ice Cream, which is usuallly made by stirring Grape-nuts into vanilla ice cream, and letting the mix sit until the Grape-Nuts soften. It's commonly found in Maine, and some of my Dad's cousins own an ice cream company, where it's one of their signature flavors.

I miss Grape-Nut ice cream.  Last year, when I visited New England, I was hoping I could get it.  Alas, I couldn't find it :(

Tomalley is tasty.  Best part of a steamed lobster.  Hoping I can finally sample geoduck and goose barnacles when we hit the PNW in a couple of months.  And I REALLY want to sample ube.  The Asian markets sell it frozen and I'm tempted to use it in a sweet potato pie recipe come Thanksgiving.

I do agree that it was weird to see someone get the clues but completely screw up the bake, but I guess that's the game. One of the things I like is that they're not doing simple, every day deserts. We're three episodes into season 2 and we've already been introduced to some interesting stuff.

I've never heard of

Spoiler

Boardwalk Pie, but I'm interested in trying now. The Basque Cheesecake we've only heard of once before and that was Junior Bake Off.

Easy Fiesta Shepherd's Pie 

Ingredients:
* 2 pounds ground beef (or equivalent)
* 1 24-ounce jar salsa of choice
* 4-6 ounces cheese (~6-7 sandwich-size slices)
* 2 boxes Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
* 2 eggs
* 2/3 cup milk

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Brown and drain ground beef.

Add salsa to ground beef and mix completely.

Grease a 9"×13" pan. Add ground beef and salsa mixture, spreading evenly. 

Spread cheese evenly over ground beef mixture.

Combine corn muffin mix, eggs, and milk in a bowl and mix thoroughly. Spread mixture evenly over the top of the cheese.

Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cornbread comes out clean.

Cool 5-10 minutes and serve. Serves half a dozen people or more.