The Classic Justice League starting members on 350 points

Hyper-Man

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The Classic Justice League starting members on 350 points

The Winged Angel

22 Thanagarian Police Wings: Multipower, 45-point reserve, (45 Active Points); all slots OIF (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2)

2u 1) Flight 20", Position Shift (45 Active Points) 4

2u 2) Gliding 30", Variable Advantage (+1/4 Advantages; Limited Group of Advantages; No Turn Mode, Megascale; +1/2) (45 Active Points)

A minor nitpick... In the animated series, the Thanagarians' wings were natural, not OIF. Other than that though, she's great. I like the Mace multipower. Consider her stolen! :eg:

A minor nitpick... In the animated series' date=' the Thanagarians' wings were natural, not OIF. Other than that though, she's great. I like the Mace multipower. Consider her stolen! :eg:[/quote']

Glad you liked. :D

For all the characters I've done so far I'm trying to mix a lot of different sources including Silver Age, the Alex Ross painted Justice series with the overall cohesiveness of the Animated Series. The problem with trying to be too close to any one of them that Bats and Superman should be more expensive because they were the first superheroes. I tried to make Hawkgirl with a blend of all sources without making her mace the main power of the character. I think she still ended up a little too much like Thor-lite (a common gripe with the JL:Animated version by others as well).

I'd like to see Katar Hol and Ralph Dibny' date=' if just to see how you would differentiate them from Eel and Shayera.[/quote']

Kator Hol (Hawkman) might have +5 STR and a non-Nth metal* weapon of opportunity Multipower. The rest of the points would go into more skills. Since there has never been a regular Hawkman/Hawkgirl series (to my knowledge at least) differentiating beyond that would just be personal taste.

*My build of Hawkgirl is problematic at best as I don't recall Hawkman or Hawkgirl ever using a Nth metal weapon in any of the comics (pre Animated Series at least). As far as I can remember, Nth metal was primarily used in their 'wing harness' for anti-gravity control. The actual 'wings' didn't provide enough lift on their own to allow true flight, they just provided more control of the flight produced by the Nth metal harness (the wings themselves could be damaged or destroyed and they could still Fly if they still wore the harness, just with much less control). Does anyone have any information on this?

Ralph Dibny (Elongated Man) would probably have most of the same abilities as Plastic Man. He wouldn't have as tough defenses (hardened) or as wide a breadth (Regeneration & Life Support) and he doesn't have true Shape Shift abilities which would limit his movement as well. His powers also depend on him taking 'Gingold extract' every day or so I believe (possibly a -1/4 Limitation on his powers). The excess points would go towards more 'Detective Skills' as he was always hyped to being the League's #2 Detective (compared to Batman).

Kator Hol (Hawkman) might have +5 STR and a non-Nth metal* weapon of opportunity Multipower. The rest of the points would go into more skills. Since there has never been a regular Hawkman/Hawkgirl series (to my knowledge at least) differentiating beyond that would just be personal taste.

*My build of Hawkgirl is problematic at best as I don't recall Hawkman or Hawkgirl ever using a Nth metal weapon in any of the comics (pre Animated Series at least). As far as I can remember, Nth metal was primarily used in their 'wing harness' for anti-gravity control. The actual 'wings' didn't provide enough lift on their own to allow true flight, they just provided more control of the flight produced by the Nth metal harness (the wings themselves could be damaged or destroyed and they could still Fly if they still wore the harness, just with much less control). Does anyone have any information on this?

Ralph Dibny (Elongated Man) would probably have most of the same abilities as Plastic Man. He wouldn't have as tough defenses (hardened) or as wide a breadth (Regeneration & Life Support) and he doesn't have true Shape Shift abilities which would limit his movement as well. His powers also depend on him taking 'Gingold extract' every day or so I believe (possibly a -1/4 Limitation on his powers). The excess points would go towards more 'Detective Skills' as he was always hyped to being the League's #2 Detective (compared to Batman).

AS I recall the hawks in the comics used earth based weapons as they were woried about criminals getting ahold of them and becoming to powerful or some such. Never made a lot of sense to me as the wings were pretty powerfull.

As for a series they have had four or five, most recently it was titled Hawkman then turned into Hawkgirl when hawkman disapeared for a while do to the RAnn/Thangar war, in the 90's was a great series called Hawkworld where they were the main characters as well

For Hal Jordan, a little bit of Disads...

Psych Lim: "Fearless" Overconfidence (uncommon, strong) There aren't many situations a Green Lantern can't handle, but Hal has trouble acknowledging even those.

Psych Lim: Ladies' Man (very common, moderate) Hal enjoys the company of women, and is not shy about expressing this.

Psych Lim: Must win Carol Ferris as Hal Jordan, not Green Lantern (uncommon, total) Only applies during Hal's original Silver Age run. He had the hots for Carol, she has the hots for his Green Lantern identity and Hal Jordan, but since Hal is her employee, she feels that relationship is inappropriate.

• 2 weeks later...

11 Bracelets forged from the Aegis: Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack), Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates, Misfire; +3/4) (35 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Lockout (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Required Hands One-And-A-Half-Handed (-1 OCV if used 1 Handed; -1/4) 3

Notes: The Trigger allows the Missile Deflection to be used without the normal -2 penalty per deflection attempt. Instead, just use a single roll vs. each common group of attacks (like a group of agents with the same type of gun). Lockout represents that use of this ability still takes an attack action like a normal Block or Missile Deflection roll (still requires an Abort). Misfire on Trigger represents that if used against a large enough barrage of fire the chance of failure can increase (ex: JL:Animated episode where Amazo copies Flash's superspeed and combines it with GL's ring blasts). Every extra 10 attacks per phase require an additional roll with the standard -2 penalty.

Seriously? This is legal? Because if it is I 'm really putting this to use soon!!

11 Bracelets forged from the Aegis: Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack)' date=' Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates, Misfire; +3/4) (35 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Lockout (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Required Hands One-And-A-Half-Handed (-1 OCV if used 1 Handed; -1/4) 3

Notes: The Trigger allows the Missile Deflection to be used without the normal -2 penalty per deflection attempt. Instead, just use a single roll vs. each common group of attacks (like a group of agents with the same type of gun). Lockout represents that use of this ability still takes an attack action like a normal Block or Missile Deflection roll (still requires an Abort). Misfire on Trigger represents that if used against a large enough barrage of fire the chance of failure can increase (ex: JL:Animated episode where Amazo copies Flash's superspeed and combines it with GL's ring blasts). Every extra 10 attacks per phase require an additional roll with the standard -2 penalty.

Seriously? This is legal? Because if it is I 'm really putting this to use soon!!

Well, Missile Deflection is a "!" power anyway. Adding an auto-resetting Trigger to it would certainly require GM approval. But nothing else about the build is illegal as far as I am aware.

I was trying to pay homage to the fact that the Missile Deflection power itself was primarily created because of this character in the comics (just like Clinging was created because of Spider-Man). I wanted her to have a chance to fail at a deflection attempt (no levels built in) but I also wanted her to be very good at it too.

Is there something specific that you see wrong?

No I didn't see anything wrong at all. I read it and honestly thought that with very little modification it could work on the Juggernaut to represent how he wades through cops all the time without blinking.

So just so I'm following this a group of agents with relatively the same guns you make one roll. A group of agents and 2 supers with 2 different special effects would require 3?

No I didn't see anything wrong at all. I read it and honestly thought that with very little modification it could work on the Juggernaut to represent how he wades through cops all the time without blinking.

So just so I'm following this a group of agents with relatively the same guns you make one roll. A group of agents and 2 supers with 2 different special effects would require 3?

Sure, the idea was kind of made up on the fly and has not been playtested but I think it would work.

The primary goal was to keep the chance to absolutely stop all the damage as the standard power (and Block) but without increasing the roll to a number that would A) almost guarantee a first attempt success and B) require a ton of rolls to be made every time the ability was used.

I also didn't want to build the bracelets as a static defense (like Armor) as others have before.

Here's the updated Batman.

I already posted the HDC file but not the export template.

The Dark Knight

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

25 STR 15 14- Lift 800.0kg; 5d6 [2]

23 DEX 39 14- OCV: 8/DCV: 8

20 CON 20 13-

12 BODY 4 11-

18 INT 8 13- PER Roll 13-

11 EGO 2 11- ECV: 4

15/20 PRE 5 12- / 13- PRE Attack: 3d6/4d6

18 COM 4 13-

11/16 PD 3 Total: 11/16 PD (3/8 rPD)

11/16 ED 4 Total: 11/16 ED (3/8 rED)

4 SPD 7 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

9 REC 0

40 END 0

35 STUN 0

Total Characteristic Cost: 111

Movement:

Running: 6"/12"

Leaping: 5"/10"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Swinging: 30"/60"

Cost Powers END

Bat Costume, all slots OIF (-1/2)

8 1) Suit: Armor (5 PD/5 ED) (15 Active Points); Activation Roll 15- (-1/4)

2 2) Cape: +1 with DCV (5 Active Points); Restrainable (-1/2)

2 3) Cowl: +5 PRE (5 Active Points); To Scare Only (-1)

45 The Utility Belt: Variable Power Pool, 30 base + 15 control cost, Powers Can Be Changed As A Half-Phase Action (+1/2), No Skill Roll Required (+1) (67 Active Points); Limited Class Of Powers Available Gadgets (-1/2); all slots Restrainable (-1/2), OIF (-1/2)

Notes: This is just a small sampling of items carried.

0 1) Batarangs: Energy Blast 6d6, 2 clips of 6 Recoverable Charges (+0) (30 Active Points) Real Cost: 15 [6 rc]

0 2) Exploding Batarangs: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6, 16 Charges (+0), Penetrating (+1/2), Explosion (+1/2) (30 Active Points) Real Cost: 15 [16]

0 3) Tracking Device: Detect A Class Of Things 13- (Unusual Group), Increased Arc of Perception, Range, Tracking, Variable Advantage (+1/4 Advantages; +1/2) (30 Active Points) Real Cost: 15

0 4) Gas Bombs: Energy Blast 3d6, 16 Charges (+0), No Normal Defense (Standard; +1) (30 Active Points) Real Cost: 15 [16]

0 5) Flash Pellets: Sight Group Flash 4d6, 16 Charges (+0), Explosion (+1/2) (30 Active Points) Real Cost: 15 [16]

0 6) Energy Knuckles: Hand-To-Hand Attack +4d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) Real Cost: 12

0 7) Batlines: Swinging 30", 2 clips of 6 Recoverable Charges (+0) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1) Real Cost: 12 [6 rc]

0 8) Bat Vehicle Remote: Summon 60-point Bat Vehicles, 8 Recoverable Charges (+0), Expanded Class of Beings Very Limited Group (Bat Vehicles: Boat, Car and Jet; +1/4), Invisible to Sight Group, Source Only (+1/4), Slavishly Devoted (+1) (30 Active Points); Arrives Under Own Power (-1/2) Real Cost: 12 [8 rc]

Bat Fu

Maneuver OCV DCV Notes

4 Block +2 +2 Block, Abort

4 Martial Dodge -- +5 Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort

4 Punch +0 +2 7d6 Strike

5 Kick +1 -2 9d6 Strike

3 Throw +0 +1 5d6 +v/5, Target Falls

Batarangs

Maneuver OCV DCV Notes

4 Basic Shot +0 +0 Strike, +2 DC

4 Ranged Disarm +0 +0 Disarm, 40 STR

3 Trip -1 +0 Strike +v/5, Target falls

Perks

15 Money: Filthy Rich

6 The Batcave: Vehicles & Bases

2 It's the Batman!: Reputation (A medium-sized group) 14-, +1/+1d6

Talents

6 Combat Luck (3 PD/3 ED)

3 Lightning Reflexes: +2 DEX to act first with All Actions

Skills

3 Acting 12- (13-)

3 Breakfall 14-

3 Bugging 13-

3 Climbing 14-

3 Combat Driving 14-

1 Combat Piloting 8-

5 Cramming

3 Concealment 13-

3 Criminology 13-

3 Deduction 13-

10 Defense Maneuver I-IV

1 Demolitions 8-

3 Electronics 13-

1 High Society 8-

3 Interrogation 12- (13-)

3 Inventor 13-

3 Lockpicking 14-

1 Mechanics 8-

3 Paramedics 13-

5 Rapid Attack (HTH)

3 Research 13-

3 Security Systems 13-

3 Shadowing 13-

3 Sleight Of Hand 14-

3 Stealth 14-

3 Streetwise 12- (13-)

1 Systems Operation 8-

1 Tactics 8-

3 KS: Super Heroes & Villains 13-

3 Scientist

2 1) SS: Criminology 13- (3 Active Points)

2 2) SS: Psychology 13- (3 Active Points)

20 +2 Overall Skill Levels

6 +2 with Martial Maneuvers

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 239

Total Cost: 350

200+ Disadvantages

5 Dependent NPC: Alfred 8- (Normal; Useful noncombat position or skills)

10 Dependent NPC: Commisioner Gorden 8- (Normal; Useful noncombat position or skills; Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID)

15 Dependent NPC: Select Gotham PD (Harvey & Montoya) 8- (Normal; Useful noncombat position or skills; Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID; Group DNPC: x2 DNPCs)

10 Hunted: Joker 8- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)

20 Hunted: Ra's Ala Goul 8- (As Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish)

10 Hunted: Rouge Gallery 8- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)

10 Hunted: Gotham PD 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching)

15 Psychological Limitation: Mysterious & Enigmatic (Common, Strong)

20 Psychological Limitation: Code vs Killing (Common, Total)

15 Psychological Limitation: Drivin to protect Gotham City (Common, Strong)

15 Social Limitation: Secret ID (Frequently, Major)

5 Vulnerability: 1 1/2 x Effect Mental Attacks that use the memory of his parents (Uncommon)

Total Disadvantage Points: 350

Hey' date=' what about the Atom... or "Shrinking Guy"? He's always around in these team pictures but rarely acknowledged, plus he'd actually work very well on 350 as opposed to some of the powerhitters that have already been posted.[/quote']

I've actually toyed with the idea of building a 350 point Atom for this thread for a while. It's just been very tough to reconcile since the biggest and defining difference between him and say Marvel's Ant-Man or Wasp is that he has no real limit to how small he can get. Building that particular aspect of his abilities pretty much requires a version of "Enter the Microverse" (a special version of Extra Dimensional Movement and suite of abilities). If it is included then the character is too expensive. If it's left out then the character seems too vanilla.

I also never really considered Atom a core member of the Justice League since his abilities were only useful when used in combination with the rest of the team. He could almost be thought of as a living Naked Variable Advantage the way he often bypassed a particularly nasty defense of a base or uber-villain.

I just don't think he would work as PC in a 5-7 member team. He works much better as an auxillary/reserve when the team is bigger and more powerful.

He actually employed mass in such a way that he could be effective in combat (and separates him from his Marvel counterparts) and Enter the Microverse could cover a lot of the suite of powers you mentioned. If you're talking 7 characters in the JLA, he'd really have to be one of them. I'd consider taking a whack at it but this is your thread and I don't want to step on any toes.

Since my character in the usual campaign I'm in is a mass-shifter, I guess it's been on my mind. That's somebody I should post on the boards some day.

He actually employed mass in such a way that he could be effective in combat (and separates him from his Marvel counterparts) and Enter the Microverse could cover a lot of the suite of powers you mentioned. If you're talking 7 characters in the JLA, he'd really have to be one of them. I'd consider taking a whack at it but this is your thread and I don't want to step on any toes.

Since my character in the usual campaign I'm in is a mass-shifter, I guess it's been on my mind. That's somebody I should post on the boards some day.

Hey, I'd love to see your take on the character.

None of these characters adaptions (to HERO terms) are 100% original creations. I have drawn inspiration from many sources including other posted versions of the characters. My gaming buddies from high school used to joke that I didn't always make the best original characters but I could definitely make other character's better. I was the 3M of character design. :D

If you're talking 7 characters in the JLA' date=' he'd really have to be one of them.[/quote']

He was the 9th member of the original JLA. 10th if you include their "mascot", Snapper Carr.

The originals were:

Aquaman

Batman

Flash

Green Lantern

Martian Manhunter

Superman

Wonder Woman

(Snapper Carr)

Subsequent members (in order of joining):

Green Arrow

Atom

Hawkman

and sundry other folks later...

(Black Canary, Zatanna, Firestorm... )

---

I'd probably build the Atom like I build most characters: around a multipower.

You could use his lump of white dwarf matter as a focus if you wanted to, or you could just ignore it. I think there are a couple of examples that could be used to justify it, although they're not all that common.

I'd go with two actual shrinking slots. One would allow him to shrink to about 6" and stay there (0 END, Persistent), while the other would allow him to go smaller.

I'd add other stuff "according to taste". You can justify a lot. You could even go with a bit of Density Increase, although I actually think much of his early stuff could be modelled with 20 STR and some martial arts.

The main thing with him is that he's basically like most of the JLA: a normal guy with a bunch of powers tacked on. He'd have a normal set of (inflated!) superhero characteristics, a bunch of scientific and some other skills, and not much else.

Go with an 80 point base for the multipower. That would handle the 6" slot nicely, and allow a fair bit of elbow room for other slots. Used the focus option if you need to shave points. (IIF? IAF? OIHID? Probably not OIF.)

As long as you resist the temptation to try to buy everything he has done in the last 50 years, this can be one of the less bogus designs. (Kind of like the Flash, in that respect.)

Per Hyper-Man's Request, here is the Atom. I did go multipower for the various effects of his shrinking abilities. He's pretty basic and not incredibly powerful this way but I base this on his being at the beginning of his career. He'd end up with a boatload more skills and special power abilities. His first priority for development would be to buy Persistent for the Shrinking. I had that originally but I wanted him to get really small. Cassandra did a decent version of him on 250 pts. (She's got a talent that way) which helped with the disads.

The Atom

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

15 STR 5 12- Lift 200.0kg; 3d6 [1]

20 DEX 30 13- OCV: 7/DCV: 7

19 CON 18 13-

10 BODY 0 11-

28 INT 18 15- PER Roll 15-

15 EGO 10 12- ECV: 5

15 PRE 5 12- PRE Attack: 3d6

16 COM 3 12-

8/18 PD 5 Total: 8/18 PD (0 rPD)

8/18 ED 4 Total: 18 ED (0 rED)

6 SPD 30 Phases: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12

10 REC 6

38 END 0

35 STUN 7 Total Characteristic Cost: 147

Movement: Running: 9"/18"

Leaping: 13"/26"

Teleportation: 10"/20"

Cost Powers END

82 Activating the White Dwarf Material: Shrinking (8.789E-4 m tall, 9.546E-9 kg mass, -22 PER Rolls to perceive character, +22 DCV, takes +33" KB), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (165 Active Points); OIF Expendable (Difficult to obtain new Focus; -3/4), Gestures (-1/4)

7 Shrinking makes me hard: +10 PD (10 Active Points); Linked (Activating the White Dwarf Material; -1/2)

7 Shrinking Makes Me Hard II: +10 ED (10 Active Points); Linked (Activating the White Dwarf Material; -1/2)

20 Subatomic Vision: Microscopic ( x100,000) with Sight Group (25 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Perception proportional to Shrinking; -1/4)

34 Shrinking Powers: Multipower, 60-point reserve, (60 Active Points); all slots OIF Expendable (Difficult to obtain new Focus; -3/4)

2u 1) Slipping through the phone lines: Teleportation 10", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), MegaScale (1" = 1,000 km; +1), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4) (55 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only through Telephone Lines & Only to the Phone on the other side of connection; -1), OIF Expendable (Difficult to obtain new Focus; -3/4), Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Only when Shrinking is on at full power; -1/2)

1u 2) Enter The Microverse: Extra-Dimensional Movement (Single Dimension, Any Location) (25 Active Points); OIF Expendable (Difficult to obtain new Focus; -3/4) 2

1u 3) 180 Lbs. and 3 inches tall: Leaping +10" (13" forward, 6 1/2" upward) (10 Active Points); OIF Expendable (Difficult to obtain new Focus; -3/4) 1

1u 4) 180 Lbs. and 3 inches tall II: Hand-To-Hand Attack +4d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); OIF Expendable (Difficult to obtain new Focus; -3/4), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)

4 Fast Strike +2 +0 5d6 Strike

5 Passing Strike +1 +0 3d6 +v/5; FMove

3 Legsweep +2 -1 4d6 Strike, Target Falls

Perks

1 Tenure: Fringe Benefit: Membership

2 Reputation: Notable Scientist (A small to medium sized group) 11-, +2/+2d6

Skills

3 Bureaucratics 12-

3 Computer Programming 15-

3 Deduction 15-

3 Systems Operation 15-

3 Paramedics 15-

3 Mechanics 15-

3 PS: Professor 15-

3 Scientist

2 1) SS: Astronomy 15- (3 Active Points)

2 2) SS: Chemistry 15- (3 Active Points)

2 3) SS: Physics 15- (3 Active Points)

3 Inventor 15-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 203

200+ Disadvantages

20 Dependent NPC: Jean Loring 11- (Normal; Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID)

10 Hunted: Rogues Gallery 8- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)

15 Hunted: Ivy University 11- (As Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)

20 Psychological Limitation: Code Vs. Killing (Common, Total)

15 Psychological Limitation: Wants to marry Jean Loring (Common, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Protective of Innocents (Common, Strong)

15 Social Limitation: Secret ID - Dr. Ray Palmer (Frequently, Major)

15 Psychological Limitation: Scientific Curiousity (Common, Strong)

10 Distinctive Features: Tiny Human (Easily Concealed; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

15 Physical Limitation: Tiny Person (Frequently, Greatly Impairing)

Very nice.

I just see a couple of problems with this:

OIF Expendable (Difficult to obtain new Focus; -3/4)

I'd have to dig up my old 80's JLA comics to verify but I'm pretty sure the belt would count as a IIF.

Expendable is primarily a Fantasy Spell Component Limitation (similar to Charges).

Hero System 5th Edition, Revised ■ Chapter One page 293

EXPENDABILITY

Fourth, the player must decide whether the Focus is expendable. Most Foci aren’t expendable — the character can use them over and over. Even if the Focus has the Charges Limitation, the character can regain his Charges by some simple means.

However, some Foci are expendable — they must be replaced after each use. This is a common Limitation for spells in Fantasy games, where it simulates components (bat wings, pixie dust, lizard tongues, and so on) that are used up each time the character casts a spell.

The value for being expendable depends on how difficult it is to “recover” the Focus. This includes the availability of the Focus (rarer items are worth more), the cost of the Focus (more expensive items are worth more), and the danger or difficulty involved in obtaining the Focus (the more dangerous or difficult, the more it is worth). If the Focus is Difficult to acquire (it’s not too hard to obtain; requires a little money, gold, or other resources to recover; or minor danger or hardship is involved), this is an additional - ¼ Limitation. If the Focus is Very Diffi cult to recover (it’s difficult or dangerous to obtain; it requires a lot of money or items of similar value; it’s rare or hard to find), this is an additional -½ Limitation. If the Focus is Extremely Difficult to recover (it’s unique or extraordinarily rare; it costs a fortune for each one; it’s extremely dangerous to try to obtain), the Limitation is worth an additional -1.

For example, plutonium is relatively rare, extremely expensive, and oft en dangerous to obtain, so it would probably be Very Difficult to replace. It would be even harder to find in a medieval setting, so its value as a Limitation in a Fantasy game would be greater (Extremely Difficult).

A fair point, the justification would be that he doesn't have a lot of White Dwarf "stuff" around, therefore, if he got knocked out and somebody took his belt, it would be harder for him to manufacture another shrinking belt than, say, Iron Man getting a second set of armor, for which materials are abundant.

Also, I bought it under the rubric of "rare" rather than expendable. This is just how it seems one does it in Hero Designer. The obviousness comes more from the fact that he has to manipulate the belt to shrink. In theory, I could have bought it as IIF, Gestures, Focus Difficult to replace for the same point values.

A later Atom would buy off either the Obvious or the Gestures when he starts storing the mechanisms in his gloves.

I don't think he used up an amount of White Dwarf matter each time he shrank but I could be mistaken. :D

This is how I might build build the shrinking on about the same points:

80 Activating the White Dwarf Material: Shrinking (0.0156 m tall, 4.768E-5 kg mass, -14 PER Rolls to perceive character, +14 DCV, takes +21" KB), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (140 Active Points); IIF Fragile (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4)

This way the Fragile and Persistent modifiers could model the situations where the belt is damaged while he is shrunk and he can't grow to normal size until it's repaired.

Here's the character again with some modifiers based on our conversation. I'm missing how to make a Focus difficult to replace (which I'd prefer to fragile). I lowered his total Microscopic vision to reflect that he's not as small as the original version. This allowed for another level of shrinking even with adding the Persistent advantage.

The Atom

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

15 STR 5 12- Lift 200.0kg; 3d6 [1]

20 DEX 30 13- OCV: 7/DCV: 7

19 CON 18 13-

10 BODY 0 11-

28 INT 18 15- PER Roll 15-

15 EGO 10 12- ECV: 5

15 PRE 5 12- PRE Attack: 3d6

16 COM 3 12-

8/18 PD 5 Total: 8/18 PD (0 rPD)

18 ED 4 Total: 18 ED (0 rED)

6 SPD 30 Phases: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12

10 REC 6

38 END 0

35 STUN 7 Total Characteristic Cost: 147

Movement: Running: 9"/18"

Leaping: 13"/26"

Teleportation: 10"/20"

Cost Powers END

91 Activating the White Dwarf Material: Shrinking (0.007 m tall, 4.888E-6 kg mass, -16 PER Rolls to perceive character, +16 DCV, takes +24" KB), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (160 Active Points); IIF Fragile (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4)

7 Shrinking makes me hard: +10 PD (10 Active Points); Linked (Activating the White Dwarf Material; -1/2)

7 Shrinking Makes Me Hard II: +10 ED (10 Active Points); Linked (Activating the White Dwarf Material; -1/2)

12 Subatomic Vision: Microscopic ( x1,000) with Sight Group (15 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Perception proportional to Shrinking; -1/4)

34 Shrinking Powers: Multipower, 60-point reserve, (60 Active Points); all slots OIF Expendable (Difficult to obtain new Focus; -3/4)

2u 1) Slipping through the phone lines: Teleportation 10", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), MegaScale (1" = 1,000 km; +1), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4) (55 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only through Telephone Lines & Only to the Phone on the other side of connection; -1), OIF Expendable (Difficult to obtain new Focus; -3/4), Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Only when Shrinking is on at full power; -1/2)

1u 2) Enter The Microverse: Extra-Dimensional Movement (Single Dimension, Any Location) (25 Active Points); OIF Expendable (Difficult to obtain new Focus; -3/4) 2

1u 3) 180 Lbs. and 3 inches tall: Leaping +10" (13" forward, 6 1/2" upward) (10 Active Points); OIF Expendable (Difficult to obtain new Focus; -3/4) 1

1u 4) 180 Lbs. and 3 inches tall II: Hand-To-Hand Attack +4d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); OIF Expendable (Difficult to obtain new Focus; -3/4), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)

4 Fast Strike +2 +0 5d6 Strike

5 Passing Strike +1 +0 3d6 +v/5; FMove

3 Legsweep +2 -1 4d6 Strike, Target Falls

Perks

1 Tenure: Fringe Benefit: Membership

1 Reputation: Notable Scientist (A small to medium sized group) 11-, +1/+1d6

Skills

3 Bureaucratics 12-

3 Computer Programming 15-

3 Deduction 15-

3 Systems Operation 15-

3 Paramedics 15-

3 Mechanics 15-

3 PS: Professor 15-

3 Scientist

2 1) SS: Astronomy 15- (3 Active Points)

2 2) SS: Chemistry 15- (3 Active Points)

2 3) SS: Physics 15- (3 Active Points)

3 Inventor 15-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 203

200+ Disadvantages

20 Dependent NPC: Jean Loring 11- (Normal; Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID)

10 Hunted: Rogues Gallery 8- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)

15 Hunted: Ivy University 11- (As Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)

20 Psychological Limitation: Code Vs. Killing (Common, Total)

15 Psychological Limitation: Wants to marry Jean Loring (Common, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Protective of Innocents (Common, Strong)

15 Social Limitation: Secret ID - Dr. Ray Palmer (Frequently, Major)

15 Psychological Limitation: Scientific Curiousity (Common, Strong)

10 Distinctive Features: Tiny Human (Easily Concealed; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

15 Physical Limitation: Tiny Person (Frequently, Greatly Impairing)

Hyper-Man is right, Expendable is something else entirely than how you're describing it. If it's a one-of-a-kind Focus that can't be replaced (at least, not without gathering up some more white dwarf material), you can use Independent. But I personally wouldn't go that route in a superhero game. :)