Is there a “Mage Problem�

Seenar

I have seen a lot of discussion that a mage purchasing spells. I am not sure I understand the problem. I have had many mages in games, and they all paid for their spells. With any level of experience, they quickly started to outstrip the growth of the fighters. I just don’t see that the mages end up power poor.

Also, the whole idea a fighter only spends a couple of points on a WF and uses a sword is not what happens. That fighter buys marital arts, or skill levels, and usually honkin’ stats. In my games they spend at least 30 points on fighter related stuff. Just like the 30 or so points spent by the mages. I just don’t see it as a problem.

Re: Is there a “Mage Problemâ€

Originally posted by Seenar

I have seen a lot of discussion that a mage purchasing spells. I am not sure I understand the problem. I have had many mages in games, and they all paid for their spells. With any level of experience, they quickly started to outstrip the growth of the fighters. I just don’t see that the mages end up power poor.

Also, the whole idea a fighter only spends a couple of points on a WF and uses a sword is not what happens. That fighter buys marital arts, or skill levels, and usually honkin’ stats. In my games they spend at least 30 points on fighter related stuff. Just like the 30 or so points spent by the mages. I just don’t see it as a problem.

I agree. Ive seen the same behavior on multiple occasions. A wizard in the hands of a competant player is like a fine wine......it gets better with time......until it far outstrips other classes.

Its all about the magic system, baby.

Really, thats what it comes down to IMO.

How powerful or versatile mages are in your game is controllable by you as the campaign designer according to how you set up your magic system.

I wanted mage casts to be powerful, but dangerous and unpredictable, so the mage-casting system in my house campaign requires the "skill roll" and "side-effect" disadvantages. In addition, you don't get to chose your side effect, all side effects come off of a master chart I roll on when you flub.

I also seriously limit the spells available and make mages work to get them ;)

I know that the spell colleges from the 2nd edition of Fantasy HERO are often maligned, but in my experience they did a solid job of balancing the capabilities of the spell-slingers with the sword-swingers. They included spells of incredible power, but with enough Limitations on when, how and how easily they were used that magicians never came across as bipedal mobile artillery.

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

I know that the spell colleges from the 2nd edition of Fantasy HERO are often maligned, but in my experience they did a solid job of balancing the capabilities of the spell-slingers with the sword-swingers. They included spells of incredible power, but with enough Limitations on when, how and how easily they were used that magicians never came across as bipedal mobile artillery.

Our Holy Warrior in one game, referred to our Illusionist with the 12d6 Mental Illiuons as the team "Howitzer" because he was alywas zapping people from the other side of the field.

Couldn't agree more. As far as I can work out, the idea that mages are disadvantaged compared to fighters is propagated by people familiar with the rules, but who never run FH games.

The flexibility of magic more than compensates. I wanted fighters to be the best at, well, at fighting and so I had to load the mages down with compulsory disadvantages to even the field (extra time, concentration, skill roll, and even mandatory side effects)

What that means is the mages get mucho power for their points, so they can toast a whole village from a kilometer away, but if the fighter types get close, they're in big trouble.

cheers, Mark

Markdoc,

I agree. There seems to be a lot of "armchair anthropology" regarding mages being weak in FH. As I mentioned in another post on letting mages use VPPs, I've run fantasy games with Hero since before the original FH was published, and the problem has always been how to rein in the mages, not the non-magic types. My solution was to convert WW's Exalted - that way, everyone uses magic in some form or another.

Really, it's very simple. Mages have to pay full cost for everything. Skill/equipment based characters get everything cheaply, or even for free. At first glance, this can cause problems, similar to the problem of the Tank Fighter vs. the Finesse Fighter.

At second glance, it can continue to cause problems. If the mage is overly restricted, and I've seen this happen, he often ends up having abilities no greater than the fighter's, but has to pay full cost for them or be greatly restricted in their use. If the GM likes the "Magic Resistance" concept from other games, and uses it often, we end up with a character paying a high price for power only to have it reduced to nothing special. Again. Sure, he can pick up that sword for free, but he'll never use it as well because he sank points into spells, instead. And all this to do damage the fighter could do with a bow. And he still can't use as many different types of spell as other systems, because buying each individual spell is expensive (no longer a general restriction, but it is still a source of complaint). And this is only a sampling of potential problems.

Is this a flaw in the system? No. But it is perfectly understandable why people have a problem with mages in FH, especially if they're familiar with it of old and have never been in a game that handled it better.

Spell Failure (side effect) chart

Originally posted by Tim

Ditto

I have a simple one I'm using now that I'll clip out of my setting book (which ofcourse I;m also still working on) and post.

I really want to extend it, but this has been good enough for my runs to date.

(Apologies that its in percentiles. I've been meaning to convert to d6 equivalents eventually...)

(From the Dragon Dreams manual)

Wizard Spell Failure Chart:

This chart is based on the limitation Requires Skill Roll:Magic(-1/2). If the spell in question was created with the more serious limitation Requires Skill Roll:Magic(-1) then double the effect listed.

This is just a starting point. The judge should feel free to add to it. In general the effects are all based on the release of uncontrolled positive or negative energy. Whimsical effects should be avoided. (These are reserved for the planned Wild Magic expansion.)

[i had to unformat it to paste it, sorry, in the doc its a nice table]

01-30

Flash of light

Lose 3 END or half the END cost of the spell, whichever is greater

31-40

Flash of light, thunderclap.

Lose 6 END or the END cost of the power, whichever is greater

41-50

Blinding Flash of Light

Take 2D6 or

((Spell Active Points)/15)D6

Explosive Flash, whichever is greater.

51-60

Flash of Flame

Take 6D6 or

((Spell Active Points)/5)D6

Energy Blast, whichever is greater.

60-64

Ball of Flame

Take 4D6 or

((Spell Active Points)/7.5)D6

Explosive Energy Blast, whichever is greater.

65-74

Circle of Darkness

Create a 3†radius or

((Spell Active Points)/10)†radius Darkness circle, whichever is greater.

Lasts 1 phase.

75-84

Anti-magic Circle

Create a 3D6 or

((Spell Active Points)/10)D6 Explosive Magic Dispell, whichever is greater.

(All magical effects.)

85-94

Shockwave,

Implosive

Take 6D6 or

((Spell Active Points)/5)D6

Physical Energy Blast, whichever is greater.

Make a DEX roll or fall down

95-100

Shockwave ,

Explosive

Take 4D6 or

((Spell Active Points)/7.5)D6

Explosive Physical Energy Blast, whichever is greater.

Everyone effected must make a DEX roll or fall down

It seems to me that the only way mages can get out of hand in FH if their GM's let them. Whether or not the campaing is using spells as skills, Mulipowers, or VPP's, there is a core truth to magic that Im not wondering if some of the GM's having trouble are forgetting: MAGIC SPELLS MUST BE LEARNED.

The GM has every right (and duty) to fairly control access to new magical spells for the PC's. Gods may gift their priests new spells as they continue to serve them well. Mages can either find a scroll or spell tome with one or a few spells in them ready to learn, or they may research new spells on their own.

In either case I would always install an abosolute minimum of 1 pt be spent on learning the spell (even for a VPP slot) to symbolize the time and effort spent committing the spell to memory. This cost should be set with regards to the difficulty of magic being learned. I could see a priest being granted a new Blessing while in prayer, and spending only 1 pt to learn the benediction, while at the same time charging 5 pts for a mage to decipher a scroll from an ancient race of dark sorcerors who wielded alien magics in times primeavil. (The above costs were made assuming VPP's)

If you are using Multipowers or spells as skills, the costs are preset in game, but that doesnt mean that they have to be accessible. A spell must still be found or researched. Unknown magics deciphered, other languages understood. (IMO, using a spell of Universal Translator would not allow someone to learn a spell in a foregin language. It wouldnt convey the depth of understanding of the words/runes or aid in understanding subtle influences or nuances often portrayed in mystical writings.) So the quest for the spells is what I see most mages being focused on, or learning how to cast ones they have found!

How fun it must be to have to summon an elder deamon to help you learn the spell written in the abyssal tongue, one for controlling daemons!....not that you KNEW thats what this particular tome taught. Heehee

PS- Dont forget that many mages in literature, and those magi of our own reality almost always kept their personal spellbooks written in unique codes and shorthands, which would not even be readable with a UnvrslTrnslr spell. Hope your mage pc's have been keeping up with that Cryptography skill. And hope they make the roll when copying down that incantation! :P

Actually Rade Fox I think that _might_ be a _core Rule_ for your theory of magic for many others it does not work so well.

There are _many_ other limits than xp in any game system and anyone that chooses to value a character soly upon the basis of points has been far too hampered by sheer munchkinism for far too long.

If I had to expend a CP for every spell thing my Spirit Servant did i would be a hellaf a lot more sucky than I am now with my Druid character. If you read the http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6777 thread, you will notice two characters built by me. The second was in part a response by myself to the constant chiding by the other players of how my first character(Dyson) never killed anything (about 20-30 xp back, not that _that_ changed anything) the razzing by the other players got so bad I had to build the fighting machine you see. She is severly modified by magic at this point (points respent) to make her semi-social in response to another player taking her as a Hunted (see the Verichne Psy Lim) otherwise she had 18's+ in all her combat stats, 8 Com, 8 Ego and almost no skills except Gm minimum requirements for her Race/Class. She Daily uses magic in the form of her enchanted battleaxe (2d6HKA Pen, Returns when thrown)

Which brings up another point Rade Fox do _you_ charge Fighters/thieves/whatever to "learn how to use Magic Items"? if not you are cheating your mages even moreso, if so, how are they dealing with paying essentialy for more Weapon familiarites for weapons that at their _base_ they allready know how to use?

Frankly IMNSHO i find the concept of paying for every spell revolting, and unless you charge points for every knife, magical Sword, flask of oil, backpack and suit of armor you are just overrestricing you Mages into the dust.

Originally posted by AnotherSkip

Frankly IMNSHO i find the concept of paying for every spell revolting, and unless you charge points for every knife, magical Sword, flask of oil, backpack and suit of armor you are just overrestricing you Mages into the dust.

That doesn't follow, for one simple reason: the mage doesn't have to pay for those things, either, even if he has to pay for every spell. He may not be as good at using them (and it wouldn't be too hard to build a mage that was, simply by using spells to be a swordsman instead of skills), but use them he can. If he's not being allowed to get them for some reason, though, then you start heading for problems.

Originally posted by RadeFox

Items can be taken away, spells cannot, short of some serious mindwiping magic, which I would be abhored to do to any player.

And here is the reverse problem: A spell, or any personal ability, costs points. If it is completely replaced by equipment that does *not* cost points, it is possible that this is unfair to the mage.

For example, I have a Mage Bolt spell: it requires a full phase, a magical staff, gestures, incantations, and can throw it six times a day. I gain little if any advantage over the wielder of a heavy long bow bow, and must pay points for the power. This is not fair in all cases, though if the given setting gives some advantage to the spell it swings back the other way again.

In fact, if I can throw a spell without Limitations that does the same damage as a bow, barring other advantages this can be unfair: yes, the guy with the bow can have it taken away, but didn't pay anything for it, while I paid a large chunk of points for mine. Again, this may or may not be fair depending on other factors.

The old Star Hero book had a Limitation called Replacable that addressed this: if a purchased Power was not significantly different from devices to be had free of charge, the Limitation was applied. I miss that. Of course, it doesn't help much with spells, which are usually heavily Limited, anyway.

Originally posted by GamePhil

And here is the reverse problem: A spell, or any personal ability, costs points. If it is completely replaced by equipment that does *not* cost points, it is possible that this is unfair to the mage.

For example, I have a Mage Bolt spell: it requires a full phase, a magical staff, gestures, incantations, and can throw it six times a day. I gain little if any advantage over the wielder of a heavy long bow bow, and must pay points for the power. This is not fair in all cases, though if the given setting gives some advantage to the spell it swings back the other way again.

Of course, the mage can do all kinds of things that the dude with the longbow can't. The dude with the longbow has likely sunk all kinds of points into it - weapon familiarity, levels, fast draw, etc. There are problems associated with using it (need to load the arrows, concentration, or penalties to hit if firing defensively). And, of course, it takes time to string that sucker. Or it degrades if you carry it strung.

A mage, meanwhile, can throw a fire bolt in battle, move quickly here, teleport there, read minds back in town, fly to the magic shop, etc etc etc. The mage can do all kinds of things that equipment-using characters can't.

So, for me, wizards not keeping up in the damage stakes (without spending points) is not a problem. Of course, as a player, I don't like being able to keep up in a fight. I like to be a useful member of the party. So when I play mages in HERO games, I go for odd abilities. I throw entangles. I flash. I heal. I do things other than dealing straight damage. Essentially, in a fight, straight damage is all most people dan do. A mage can do aaaalll kinds of things. But they spend points for everything. So that's where the balance comes from.

'Course, it varies by system and genre. Some genres may see it as vital that mages are powerful in all reas. The FH book provides magic systems for that. In my own game that I'm planning, mages are relatively low-powered. I'm not shooting for anyone to be a primary spellcaster, but rather to have magic possessed by most PCs, though only to a limited degree.

But don't assume that just because mages have to spend points to equal a fighter, they're weak. :) You have to take the whole character into account. And remember that it's not about who can beat up who. A much better measure is how much a particular character contributes to the success of the team.

Originally posted by Lupus

Of course, the mage can do all kinds of things that the dude with the longbow can't. The dude with the longbow has likely sunk all kinds of points into it - weapon familiarity, levels, fast draw, etc. There are problems associated with using it (need to load the arrows, concentration, or penalties to hit if firing defensively). And, of course, it takes time to string that sucker. Or it degrades if you carry it strung.

First of all, the only reason I post to this thread at all is to try to explain the various reasons that people complain about FH in my experience, which I believe was the original question. They are not my complaints, although I do not approve of the uses for the system that I am speaking of.

Now, please re-read the spell I described. With the exception of Real Weapon, it has the problems of a bow, just with a magical effect. And all those skills the archer sunk into his bow? Well, that doesn't really help, because the mage could have used those skills, too, but had to buy the spells and Magic Skill to use them.

It is an example of a danger I've seen (this spell and other, replacable abilities like it, came from a game I witnessed), that I believe is part of the cause for complaints: characters being restricted to abilities little or no greater than what can be gotten from equipment, but having to pay for them, just because it's Magic. I've seen it happen.

Mind you, I think the larger part of the cause is comparisons to other systems, which I further conjecture comes about because of the excising of certain core rules from the old 2nd Edition Fantasy HERO. This is no longer the case, but effects linger.

Here's a funny thing about all those other abilities you spoke of: In a D&D like game, people can end up with plenty of free stuff that duplicates the mage's abilities. I've seen that happen, too, though in D&D, where the mage then just pens a new spell into a book to make up for it, even in 3rd Edition. But if I had to pay for that new spell in points every time, it might start to wear thin. This is an extreme example, and I've never seen it in FH, but I can imagine it.

Obviously, if the mage has *unique* abilities (which doesn't even have to be part of his own powers: being able to take advantages of Limitations and Disadvantages would be sufficient), then all is fair. Equally obviously, however, this must not always be the case, because if it were we wouldn't see complaints.

Say, has anyone found that unarmed martial artist monk characters are terribly unpopular in FH? They too aren't taking advantage of character-point-free equipment, but I don't think they're condemned as ineffective or punished because they have to pay more for martial arts than the armed sorts have to pay for weapon familiarities.