Who chooses the Sorcerer Supereme?

Michael Hopcroft

I would say yes, to a degree.

One thing you see in alot of mystic books is that the lines between good and evil are often more like steps than a line, and where one week the sorcer supreme may be fighting the Fire Demons of Kaza to prevent there invasion of earth the next week he will be calling on there king to borrow the medalion of fire protection

As such rivalries pop up more, so instead of good guys/bad guys you have these two enemies, but a third party might be on good terms with both.

In my world, the SS is called the Loremaster.

The Loremaster will usualy have an Heir Apparent, who might also have an apprentice

It is also not uncommon for the previous Loremaster to retire alive

The current loremaster has all of the above, for that matter most live together at the Fortress of forgotten Lore: the Previous loremaster, his apprentice (Lover, girl is 485 years younger than him). The current loremaster, the current Heir Apparent, most can perform some magic (The servents the least, followed by Cindy the apprentice)

The role of apprentice for the Heir Apparent is fierce (The last one died about 3 years ago, the current "Leader" in the polls is a New York based Street Mage

Well, according to the Triupmh and Torment graphic novel, in the Marvel Universe the contest to determine the Sorcerer Supreme is held once every 100 years. Magi from across the globe gather in the Himalayas at the request of a mystic known only as the Old One. If memory serves, they were tasked with releasing the avatars of the Vistani, who were imprisioned in a crystal. The crystal reflected spells back upon their casters - Those casters who were unable to withstand their own spells also became entrapped in the crystal.

As a twist, the newly "crowned" Sorceror Supreme is responsible for granting a boon to the challenger who came in second, in this case Doctor Doom.

If I recall, in the official CU, the last Sorcerer Supreme is missing or lost, and a new one is long overdue to take his place.

A watchful eye is being kept on young mystics to see who is destined to rise to fill the vacancy.

One of the possiblities?

Witchcraft of the Champions herself.

I have to Agree!

Originally posted by Hermit

If I recall, in the official CU, the last Sorcerer Supreme is missing or lost, and a new one is long overdue to take his place.

A watchful eye is being kept on young mystics to see who is destined to rise to fill the vacancy.

One of the possiblities?

Witchcraft of the Champions herself.

I aggre with you on this one considering in my campaign her disciple happens to be a magical girl who travels through dreams,uses magic attacks and when she comes into full power casts some spells as well as some defenses for her mistress.

Originally posted by William Bushway

Well, according to the Triupmh and Torment graphic novel, in the Marvel Universe the contest to determine the Sorcerer Supreme is held once every 100 years. Magi from across the globe gather in the Himalayas at the request of a mystic known only as the Old One. If memory serves, they were tasked with releasing the avatars of the Vistani, who were imprisioned in a crystal. The crystal reflected spells back upon their casters - Those casters who were unable to withstand their own spells also became entrapped in the crystal.

As a twist, the newly "crowned" Sorceror Supreme is responsible for granting a boon to the challenger who came in second, in this case Doctor Doom.

(Fanboy On)

It was the Aged Genghis, a senile nearly immortal wizard who regains his senses every century for the contest.

He was the one imprisoned in the crystal, which was a manifestation of the Vishanti.

The Vistani are the Gypsy tribe in Ravenloft.

Victims of the crystal fell under the control of the Vishanti and began attacking the other competitors.

(Fanboy Off)

:)

Originally posted by Armitage

(Fanboy On)

It was the Aged Genghis, a senile nearly immortal wizard who regains his senses every century for the contest.

He was the one imprisoned in the crystal, which was a manifestation of the Vishanti.

The Vistani are the Gypsy tribe in Ravenloft.

Victims of the crystal fell under the control of the Vishanti and began attacking the other competitors.

(Fanboy Off)

:)

You should never turn off the fan boy. Then you will become one of those forty year old men making fun of 18 year olds who read comics.

I have to admit, I kind of like the idea of the Sorceror Supreme not being chosen, or being bestowed, or being acquired, but simply occurring.

That is to say that it would be something like being enlightened, in that it simply occurred to a particular wizard, not necessarily the most powerful before, or the "heir apparent". Then, from that point on, any wizard worth his salt could recognize that wizard as the Sorceror Supreme (good vibes,or the like).

On the other hand, I also think the sorceror supreme should be largely forced to focus on mystical tasks, threats, and concerns, which, while in actuality totally essential to the continued existence of all, seem petty, bizarre or obtuse to the non-enlightened.

Thus, the sorceror supreme cannot afford to spend time dealing with petty threats like bank robbers, plagues, or meteors smashing the earth to flinders, but has to instead focus on weighty concerns like Null-concept spheres being generated from a pre-existing Anti-Universe.

This seems weird, but if really powerful magic were in the hands of people concerned with normal earthly concerns, wouldn't the world be radically different than it is now?

Poof. No disease.

Poof. No overpopulation.

Poof. No want or suffering.

Poof. No people of the wrong religious/moral/political beliefs.

By forcing the Sorceror Supreme to confront those foes whose nature beggars imagination, you keep the world recognizable for the rest of us (plus, no PC gets really hot under the collar for the job)

"So, there's no pay, and I have to oppose Infinitely Regressive Thought Migrations and Soul-powered Fractal Engines? Thanks, but I'll keep on turning murderers into newts."

The Sorcerer Supreme should defend the world at all cost, not meddle with inferior secondary squabbles. Dr Strange himself saw that Vampires pose a threat to MU and he stopped them by a spell. He easily could "weave" a spell to have peace on earth and etc etc but that doesn't threat the human race: only when hostile "powers" enters in to the fray , SS should stop that threat. A thread could be demons, vampire not a general idea like war or peace or disease (this can't be solved this is meddling with the inner workings of the universe - people need to decide for themself for war and peace ior they can cure famine and disease etc )

Remember that Sh'aar pool in his basement; He needed 5 people to close it down , he rebounded his spell on all five of them creating a pentagram closing the "pool" err rift

Also he must ally himself with the three Gods (Vishanti, Agamotto and Hoggoth) of the Temple of Three who organizes each 100 years a selection of the Sorcerer supreme.

He also belongs to the Magic of Order (as told in the Realms of Magic books by MSH - TSR)

Strange did ally himself one in occasions with demons but that was for his own good : he had to revoke his 3 allies

Later they came back to him

In my current game there's no such thing as a Sorcerer Supreme though Dr. Strange exists. There isn't quite enough magic users or historical organizations to make it that organized. Although rivalries abound, I think they're similar to those of "regular" supers, different people with different agendas.

In my old campaign there was indeed a Sorcerer Supreme. Contendors had to go through separate journies, each with their second, all journies leading to the same single spot, a battlefield. In the campaign, Dr. Strange died and his son, one of the PCs and a necromancer (or rather THE Necromancer), naturally went for it, with another PC, a darkness elemental, in tow as second. He failed in his quest, with Dr. Fate winning. Other contenders included China Left (NPC I created, a martial artist with mystical influences) with her second the Unspoken (a healer and utility spell-caster), Screech the Cat (another self-created NPC, this one an actual cat who while supernatural has no real magical powers, simply amplified powers of the cat) with his second Swamp Thing (as in the comics), Dr. Fate (generally as in the comics but much more of a conspiratorial schemer, though for the cause of good) with Deadman (again, as in the comics), and Mr. E (yes, as from the Gaiman portrayal) with his second the Shadow (pretty much as in pulp legend although a bit more oogity-boogity, still with the 6-shooters though).

The role of the Sorcerer Supreme is to basically protect Earth/humanity, organizing others when necessary but mainly taking on the responsibility as the central, most powerful, and hugely important symbolic figure in that struggle.

Full details are at http://www.asterick.com/realschluss/provisional_champions/kill_komix/kill_komix_57.htm if you are so interested. Sorry that the details aren't all that narrative, they were done at a time when I didn't spend much time on it as I now do.