What was your favorite beginning for an adventure?

TheQuestionMan

Re: What was your favorite beginning for an adventure?

Hmmm, the time I intro'd a new player to the group when all the PCs woke up bound and powerless as part of a DEMON summoning ritual...

(I have a certain.. reputation.. to live down to somehow...)

Turning Millennium City into a warped version of Disney was pretty fun too...

My all-time favorite was in a White Wolf game in the mid-90s where I was playing a grifter/con-man magician with lots of enemies. My GM started it off by saying, "Waking up in your bed, you smell gas." My character immediately hit the ground running, grabbed a pair of jeans off a chair in mid-stride, and jumped headfirst through his bedroom window. The explosion blew out all the tenement's windows while he was still climbing out of the dumpster he landed in.

My all-time favorite was in a White Wolf game in the mid-90s where I was playing a grifter/con-man magician with lots of enemies. My GM started it off by saying' date=' "Waking up in your bed, you smell gas." My character immediately hit the ground running, grabbed a pair of jeans off a chair in mid-stride, and jumped headfirst through his bedroom window. The explosion blew out all the tenement's windows while he was still climbing out of the dumpster he landed in.[/quote']

Your character's name wasn't Merle Corey, was it? :)

What was your favorite beginning for an Adventure? Not a Campaign mind you, but an Adventure?

I am currently drawing a blank.

Please help

QM

How I liked to start with Superhero games was by giving a rundown on the top local news stories of the day.

My favorite start to an adventure and campaign was when I started a 3rd Edition Champions campaign set in WW II. It was December 7th and the characters were going about their business (one was a stage magician working at Coney Island) when news began to emerge about an attack on Pear Harbor ("Where?" asked one player, in character :D). As the news started to come out, the heroes began looking for (and finding) fifth columnists attempting to strike a symbolic blow at America, such as blowing up National Monuments, attempting to attack the White House, etc. The heroes conveniently intervened and Top Men® noticed, subsequently recruiting the heroes to form a super-powered Home Defense Cadre.

Everybody got a chance at center stage, everyone defeated/captured the agents, everyone got good publicity. Fun all around.

The GM gave us pregens, though each one of us got to sit down with him and tweak things---if he allowed.

He gave us some written background to the whole world, but told us nothing about our characters' background.

First session, he gets us to sit down, and starts "As the funeral of the master of manor continues, the priest droning a eulogy full of cliches, you look around, seeing the people crying, and those with set, grim face. You cannot help but think on the series of events that brought you here." He then went around the table, giving the background of each character, and recent events as s/he saw them. The whole time, the GM kept coming back to the funeral, moving it along a bit at a time, while weaving in the flashbacks.

It was totally masterful story telling. Gave me a chill. :thumbup:

Oh this brings back a memory... The GM who was one of the best GM's I've ever played with started out my character, Starfox (an alien teleporter), and another PC, Kangaroo Kane(an Australian with gadjet bolos), being interrogated by our boss Amanda. Bear in mind that none of the events covered in the interrogation had actually occurred in game. We were making it up as we went along.

GM: You have been called into Amanda's office. You are both very hung over.

Amanda: Does either one of you care to explain where you have been for the last... seventy-two hours?

Fox and Kane exchange a bleary eyed look. [in unison]: No

Amanda I have been getting reports from all over the world. There was a disturbance involving hale a dozen mimes and the Eiffel Tower.

Kane (pointing at Fox): He did it.

Fox (pointing at Kane): It was his idea.

Kane Sort of a public service. You know... mimes.

Amamda Somebody, I believe the term is "pantsed" the Australian Prime minster at a live speech on national television.

Fox (pointing at Kane): He said it was traditional.

Amanda flips through a few more pages, (muttering): Canada, China, Denmark

Kane: Oh God, she's going in Alphabetical order.

Amanda: You declared war on Lichtenstein.

Fox (pointing at Kane): He did it

Kane: Nobody else seemed to care.

In an old D&D game, during charcter creation, we all wondered why the GM allowed us to have whatever equipment we wanted, even high powered magic items.

The answer?

"You all wake up naked, chained to an oar on a slave ship....":D

In an old D&D game, during charcter creation, we all wondered why the GM allowed us to have whatever equipment we wanted, even high powered magic items.

The answer?

I've had it dome to me before, but without the "Christmas Giveaway" part during character creation.

My favorite start to an adventure and campaign was when I started a 3rd Edition Champions campaign set in WW II. It was December 7th and the characters were going about their business (one was a stage magician working at Coney Island) when news began to emerge about an attack on Pear Harbor ("Where?" asked one player, in character :D). As the news started to come out, the heroes began looking for (and finding) fifth columnists attempting to strike a symbolic blow at America, such as blowing up National Monuments, attempting to attack the White House, etc. The heroes conveniently intervened and Top Men® noticed, subsequently recruiting the heroes to form a super-powered Home Defense Cadre.

Everybody got a chance at center stage, everyone defeated/captured the agents, everyone got good publicity. Fun all around.

sonds good can someone use the rep tonfa on ssgt.baloo for me thanks

The answer?

Oh yes, a classic :D

Oh this brings back a memory... The GM who was one of the best GM's I've ever played with started out my character' date=' [b']Starfox[/b] (an alien teleporter), and another PC, Kangaroo Kane(an Australian with gadjet bolos), being interrogated by our boss Amanda. Bear in mind that none of the events covered in the interrogation had actually occurred in game. We were making it up as we went along.

GM: You have been called into Amanda's office. You are both very hung over.

Amanda: Does either one of you care to explain where you have been for the last... seventy-two hours?

Fox and Kane exchange a bleary eyed look. [in unison]: No

Amanda I have been getting reports from all over the world. There was a disturbance involving hale a dozen mimes and the Eiffel Tower.

Fox (pointing at Kane): It was his idea.

Kane Sort of a public service. You know... mimes.

Amamda Somebody, I believe the term is "pantsed" the Australian Prime minster at a live speech on national television.

Fox (pointing at Kane): He said it was traditional.

Amanda flips through a few more pages, (muttering): Canada, China, Denmark

Kane: Oh God, she's going in Alphabetical order.

Amanda: You declared war on Lichtenstein.

Fox (pointing at Kane): He did it

Kane: Nobody else seemed to care.

Oh man, that is sooo funny! :rofl:

Thank you for sharing that. :)

Guest steamteck

When I had the players appear in a pentagram because a sorceress cast a "summon hero" spell but they all looked so harmless she thought she's flubbed her spell. They were begging to help her to prove they were too heroes quite quickly.

When I had the players appear in a pentagram because a sorceress cast a "summon hero" spell but they all looked so harmless she thought she's flubbed her spell. They were begging to help her to prove they were too heroes quite quickly.

:lol: Nice way to motivate them. :thumbup:

The player characters are all teleported aboard an alien spaceship.

The alien leader congratulates them on being chosen as the most effective warriors of their planet, making them excellent candidates for training as gladiators for the arenas of the interstellar Baran Empire. This is a great honor.

It's one way to get a disparate group of super powered people together and give them an immediate common enemy. They may not even know one another's name, but they can agree on where this guy can stick his unasked for "honor.":thumbdown Combat usually starts as soon as the monologue is over. If I'm lucky, teamwork starts when the players realize the aliens wouldn't transport them aboard in the first place if they weren't prepared to handle any one of them individually.:rolleyes:

I've used this opening more than once, and probably will again if I were ever to run Champions again.

Oh, and I've also used the "Summon Champions" spell too. Once as a scroll in a Fantasy Hero game that summoned the player's own characters from the Champions game....but now I think of it I'm not sure I ever used that idea for the BEGINNING of an adventure....

Lucius Alexander

Insert palindromedary tagline here

The player characters are all teleported aboard an alien spaceship.

The alien leader congratulates them on being chosen as the most effective warriors of their planet, making them excellent candidates for training as gladiators for the arenas of the interstellar Baran Empire. This is a great honor.

It's one way to get a disparate group of super powered people together and give them an immediate common enemy. They may not even know one another's name, but they can agree on where this guy can stick his unasked for "honor.":thumbdown

you'got that right

What was your favorite beginning for an Adventure?

Following an adventure, one of the players (her character was named Key) e-mailed me to let me know that she was going to contact the mental institution to make certain the Idiot King (also known as Elliott Mann) was still safely in custody.

When I replied, I forwarded the e-mail to the rest of the group:

When you inquire, the staff nurse tells you, "Mr. Elliott Mann is no longer a patient here. He was transferred out two weeks ago. He was released into the custody of an Officer Key of the HPD Paranormal Investigations Unit."

This player used to frequently say, "When the GM is smiling, it's already too late."

So at the end of my e-mail I wrote: "p.s. The GM is already smiling."