Whoops, folks actually liked this: Nu Warriors!

Hermit

In another thread in another part of the forums folks were laying down challenges of things even Marvel wouldn't dare to write when it seems they really will do anything for shock value now adays.

I entered a few ideas, but apparently one has been dubbed "good" and one person even said it would make a good con game.

While it was originally set up in the MU, it could easily be adjusted to the regular CU or a custom setting I hope.

I thought I'd share it here. If anyone ever does run it or something like it, let me know how it went, please :)

Nu Warriors

Civil War? Stamford? That's SO yesteryear, so when a group of college goof offs realize they'll get more chicks as a frat, they decide to form their own and add the shock value of pretending to be 'superheroes' cuz women love that. Little do they know that their joking pretense at being superheroes has fooled the wrong person. Dean Von Vermer, SecretNazi (and you thought only commies ran colleges nowadays) and mad scientist tries to strip them of their powers and accidentally gives them real ones instead! Now, it's Animal House meets Capes, and the Ivy Towers are in danger of being knocked over by the very team positioned to protect them! Nu Warriors, come out and grab a brew!

Re: Whoops, folks actually liked this: Nu Warriors!

I've gotta say, it actually could be interesting. Don't know if I'd want to run in it though. During my college experience I tended to view frats slightly below pond scum (though above lawyers... most lawyers...), and I'd have a hard time playing somebody who was a member of one....

Well, most frats aren't that "geek friendly", so what if a group of gamers/geeks/nerds/etc. wanted to get a cheap house together, and they discover that frats get special deals, are really close to campus, or it's the only way to get the old decrepit house that just happens to have a T3 running through the backyard? They form a frat, pretend to have superpowers, and then it backfires. I don't think it would support a campaign, thus my comment that it would be a fun con-game.

I do have to say that I didn't have any run-ins with frats while in college. They were more the goofy, drunken guys on the edge of campus, and my school didn't worship the athletes like some schools, so they didn't get inflated egos and try to push people around or anything.

top cows Freshmen has a similar premise it was a lot of fun bunch of new students (covering all the classic tropes of college freshmen) in a dorm get exposed to an experimental mutagenic energy generator and develop super powers based on there inner state of mind at the time. together they try to fight crime. its might give you some

useful ideas to build on

But will they fight crime when they're as hung over as they are right now.... Or try to hide all the giant statue of the college's founding donor that they stole last night before the Dean comes looking? Ooh, the wacky hijinks. Maybe the Dean will like them more if they save him from a speeding car?

Animal House with superpowers would be a neat Con game.

"A bunch of students" would be better for an ongoing game. I've often wondered how more traditionalist heroes would relate to a bunch of superpowered geek/stoners, and how would the latter balance fighting crime and routinely breaking the law.

Not sure how you would explain this with the Nazi headmaster origin, but in keeping with the whole college, higher-learning thing, instead of giving them just random powers or powers that reflect their personality, you could give them powers designed to make them grow as persons. So the shy kid could get something really flashy, "Mr. I-gotta-be-the-center-of-attention" could get abilities powers that force him into a support role, the narrow minded guy could get read-only telepathy, etc.

Just a thought.

...you could give them powers designed to make them grow as persons. So the shy kid could get something really flashy, "Mr. I-gotta-be-the-center-of-attention" could get abilities powers that force him into a support role, the narrow minded guy could get read-only telepathy, etc.

Just a thought.

That's a good thought, poindexter. Here's a better one. Beer bong!

It's like no-one around here has seen a Revenge of the Nerds movie. Or, better yet, "Homer goes to College."

Being a Nu Warrior is all about not thinking things through, not preparing, and, above all, skipping class!

Not sure how you would explain this with the Nazi headmaster origin, but in keeping with the whole college, higher-learning thing, instead of giving them just random powers or powers that reflect their personality, you could give them powers designed to make them grow as persons. So the shy kid could get something really flashy, "Mr. I-gotta-be-the-center-of-attention" could get abilities powers that force him into a support role, the narrow minded guy could get read-only telepathy, etc.

Just a thought.

It's a darn good thought.

I actually had a concept similar to that once, kind of, where instead of powers that match personality (The hot head gets fire powers, etc) the characters having powers that are opposite their personality types. Your idea of using powers as a method of character growth sounds like a really nice twist. I may not use it today, I may not use it tomorrow, but rest assured, I will be using it.

Have some rep , and thanks :)

Civil War? Stamford? That's SO yesteryear, so when a group of college goof offs realize they'll get more chicks as a frat,

What kind of "chicks" are these???? :ugly:

they decide to form their own and add the shock value of pretending to be 'superheroes' cuz women love that.

:ugly:

Little do they know that their joking pretense at being superheroes has fooled the wrong person. Dean Von Vermer, SecretNazi (and you thought only commies ran colleges nowadays)

And here I thought they were run by ultra-reactionaries. :straight:

and mad scientist tries to strip them of their powers and accidentally gives them real ones instead! Now, it's Animal House meets Capes, and the Ivy Towers are in danger of being knocked over by the very team positioned to protect them! Nu Warriors, come out and grab a brew!

OK, campaign rules: No INT over 7, one KS/SS/PS at 14- or better, no others at above 11- (and those only regarding "chicks", drinking, drugs, etc.; all others are Familiarities), Psych Lim: must think frats are "kewl", Psych Lim: will do almost anything for sex (except pay for it, or behave decently), Physical Lim: incapable of treating women as human beings.

Such a campaign would only work if done as a total mock. The players would be able to get out their frustration at the vicious, nasty, violent, stupid, putrid people creatures things that infest frats. I can't see any other way to make it work.

Such a campaign would only work if done as a total mock. The players would be able to get out their frustration at the vicious, nasty, violent, stupid, putrid people creatures things that infest frats. I can't see any other way to make it work.

I think you may be taking this a little more seriously than it is intended which is sort of an "Animal House" meets the "Teen Titans" farce, IIUC.

Edit: I'm obviously not a Moderator but there may be some board members who are or were members of fraternities that could take your comments poorly since they seem to be meant to reflect reality. If I've misunderstood that, I apologize.

Much of the stuff you quoted was meant tongue in cheek' date=' in case it needs to be clarified ;)[/quote']

It's the old "suspended" versus "hung by the neck" thing. In my experience, the only way to play frat-rats that doesn't "hang by the neck" is as vicious anti-intellectual worms.

I'm not built like my avatar, by I am "presentable." Every male who has ever significantly harassed me, based on my looks (I am not counting single comments, overly obvious stares, and other insignifica) has been in a frat, was in a frat, or didn't go to college.

I can only speak based on my own experience. If there are male members of the board, who are/were in a frat, and who do not harass women, I thank the goddess for you, and I apologize if my statements seem to be aimed at you.

That's a good thought, poindexter. Here's a better one. Beer bong!

It's like no-one around here has seen a Revenge of the Nerds movie. Or, better yet, "Homer goes to College."

Being a Nu Warrior is all about not thinking things through, not preparing, and, above all, skipping class!

I didn't say there wouldn't be beer bongs. :drink:

It's a darn good thought.

I actually had a concept similar to that once, kind of, where instead of powers that match personality (The hot head gets fire powers, etc) the characters having powers that are opposite their personality types. Your idea of using powers as a method of character growth sounds like a really nice twist. I may not use it today, I may not use it tomorrow, but rest assured, I will be using it.

Have some rep , and thanks :)

Glad you liked it. :D

The whole supers with powers that match their personalities thing has been done into the ground imho. This seemed to me to be a interesting alternative with some cool roleplaying potential.

I didn't say there wouldn't be beer bongs. :drink:

I'm voting for Ranxerox in Greek Week!

I'd follow him to Hell!

I'd fight Doctor Destroyer with him!

(Actually, aren't we doing that in 5 hours? Like, I know I was supposed to prepare and stuff, but we were hanging and y'know. Now that I think of it, we never did find out why that dude installed the fussball table at our frat...... geez. Maybe it isn't just a crazy coincidence that he worked for "Zerstroiten Industries."

...I gotta go pull the fire alarm at the Hall of Justice now. Then we can pull an all-nighter and fight for justice and hand in our poli. sci. papers on time!)

I'm voting for Ranxerox in Greek Week!

I'd follow him to Hell!

I'd fight Doctor Destroyer with him!

(Actually, aren't we doing that in 5 hours? Like, I know I was supposed to prepare and stuff, but we were hanging and y'know. Now that I think of it, we never did find out why that dude installed the fussball table at our frat...... geez. Maybe it isn't just a crazy coincidence that he worked for "Zerstroiten Industries."

...I gotta go pull the fire alarm at the Hall of Justice now. Then we can pull an all-nighter and fight for justice and hand in our poli. sci. papers on time!)

:eek: M'gods, its a real frat-boy! :shock:

j/k