And the old shall swallow the new...

slikmar

Re: And the old shall swallow the new...

I'm trying to figure out how to write up Grue Repellent.

Glowstick juice

as in the Sergio Argonnes character?

Nope, as in "You may be eaten by a Grue!", a Zork reference from the days of text based CRPG yore (link)

Although I'd agree that there's far to little Groo love on here.

Grue Repellant: Light

Groo Attractant: Cheese dip

• 5 months later...

IIRC' date=' Atari has had some successful products lately, most notably for our purposes the long-running [i']Neverwinter Nights[/i] line. They haven't had a lot of success with MMORPGs, though; Dungeons & Dragons Online Stormwatch was a disaster of epic proportions. They've had a long-standing connection to Wizards of the Coast, and have overall made money from the endeavor.

That said, they are an independent company (no Hasbro ownership) and have a solid record of transposing RPG mechanics to computerized formats.

The name may still be linked to the first videogame boom and bust, and to a doomed line of microcomputers (they made the first computer I almost bought back in 1988 -- I chose the imported PC-compatible Amstrad instead, and they ended up losing out to PCs ion the marketplace), but Atari does have a good understanding of the market and a decent capital base. Barring catastrophe, this should work out.

Completely and utterly false game is great and closer to dnd then what CO will be to true champions, CO might be a good game but it will really only be champions in name at least ddo is 60-80% 3.5 dnd.

Completely and utterly false game is great and closer to dnd then what CO will be to true champions' date=' CO might be a good game but it will really only be champions in name at least ddo is 60-80% 3.5 dnd.[/quote']

From a commerical standpoint, Stormreach was an abject failure. When I tried my demo a year and a half ago, there were only five players on any of the servers at any given time. What's the point of an MMORPG that very few people play?

Why did Stormreach fail? Direct competition with WoW where WoW had all the advantages.

From a commerical standpoint, Stormreach was an abject failure. When I tried my demo a year and a half ago, there were only five players on any of the servers at any given time. What's the point of an MMORPG that very few people play?

Why did Stormreach fail? Direct competition with WoW where WoW had all the advantages.

Not a huge comercial success no but I have been playing for over 3 years and I have never ever seen it at 5 players on any server at any time. I dont think I have ever seen less then 100 players on any server at any time of course none of them maybe running something that I want but at least just running around in ddo is more fun the playing a raid or quest in wow.

I dont have high hopes for CO for one reason its not really champions to me its not using champions rules just set in the universie although I do like that world though, I hope it surprises me and is good but I am afraid that for good champs play the only way is to sit down and play with rl people.

From the demos I've seen (which was limited to the active parts at GenCon laster year) in person... CO is a pretty decent approximation of Champions in a semi-closed environment of an MMORPG.

The customizability of just the bits they had active then were well beyond current MMO standards.

I hate to say it but I wouldn't play a game that used all the champions rules. The idea of a MMO that requires a manual half the size of the 5er is in no way appealing. However a game that follows the overall design philosophy, which is "Make the character you want." I would. The Hero system should stay a tabletop game not an MMO at least for the sole reason that it would be impossible to police all the builds that would come out of it.

• 1 month later...

You couldn't do certain powers right anyway - imagine trying to code Shapeshift or Duplication. Now personally, I would play a MMO that was pretty close to HERO - point buy, combat rules, and all. But I'm not sure how popular it would be.