HPA In The Works: The Great White Hunter's Bestiary

Steve Long

Re: HPA In The Works: The Great White Hunter's Bestiary

It's a Bestiary, so I'm only interested in what they'd be hunting. While I don't dislike the idea of expanding on the Pulp archetypes at all, I don't envision this as a "Great White Hunter Sourcebook." That might make for an interesting series of HPAs, though!

Sorry, but I don't understand who you're referring to here.

it WOULD make a good series and i think the big 5 =randals raiders

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Much as I absolutely adore the Great White Hunter archtype (and I do... "Buck" Landis, my first Justice Inc. character, was a Lost World Romance Great White Hunter. I confess to Genre Fiend tendencies), I'm actually drawing sort of a blank on this one.

Maybe some of the alternative cryptid explanations for some of the ones commonly thought in the current gestalt to be dinosaurs, like Moloke Membe or "Water Horse" lake monsters like Nessie.

I did recall Mbwun from Relic, which is a possibility that could be explored, a cryptid "created" by a shamans potions using cryptoflora ingredients.

Other than that... beats me. I usually wound up shooting at megafauna.

Speaking of megafauna.

to be blunt, the Bestiary versions of a lot of the real megafauna could use a good makeover into more cinematic forms. Right now even big animals have a certain sameness to them. OHHHHHH.... I just had an idea.... maybe the answer is a section for talents/superskills for animals!

like Eviscerate, a naked trigger for a claw attack that goes off with a successful Grab & Bite MPA, perfect for Utahraptors and Tigers alike.

in the same vein, it'd be a good section for adding toughness packages to customize how hard your beastie will be to drop.

OHHHHHH.... I just had an idea.... maybe the answer is a section for talents/superskills for animals!

like Eviscerate, a naked trigger for a claw attack that goes off with a successful Grab & Bite MPA, perfect for Utahraptors and Tigers alike.

in the same vein, it'd be a good section for adding toughness packages to customize how hard your beastie will be to drop.

This is a great idea.

One possible addition would be a list of strategies that could be used by animals with the Cunning template added. I recall reading about a professional hunter who wasn't able to get a shot at a particular leopard (or maybe jaguar, I don't recall exactly) until it was within leaping distance of him, because it kept some obstacle between them as it approached. The Tsavo lions were also pretty cunning in their hunting. A man-eater with just a taste for human flesh and no smarts to back it up ends up shot within a week or two.

Mongolian Death Worms?

Mentioned in 'Fortean Times' magazine - there are apparently still folks in isolated parts of Mongolia convinced that this beast exists. Supposedly it is a kind of giant earthworm that can kill people or livestock with what is basically a poison-gas breath weapon.

I'm tempted to send a party off in search of the Namibian Fog-Basking Beetle, although big game hunters might be a bit disappointed when they find it :D It does have one of the best names ever, though; and a reasonable level of acrobatics.

If we're talking beetles, a giant version of the bombardier beetle could make for an extremely unpleasant encounter, especially if the beetle is large enough that its toxic gas could be fatal to humans.

Great White Hunters are rarely prepared for quarry that shoots back. ;)

From my neck of the woods, where in a pulp setting you'll run into Kwakiutl head-hunters, secret Japanese bases, bootleggers and American annexationists, we have:

Bears (Kodiaks, Grizzlies)

Giant cougars

You shouldn't have killed Bambi's mom: moose and elk can be very dangerous.

And in an aquatic vein, imagine an isolated pulp mill town, connected with the world only by the coastal steamer, when a spout breaks in the choppy waters.

Killer whale?

Sea Lion? Anyway, they're tired of seal, and big enough to capsize a boat. Good thing there's a famous tiger-hunter is in Vancouver on his way to catch a CP liner for the Orient...

Guest steamteck

How about the lions "The Ghost and the Darkness" encountered by Col. Patterson at Tsavo while he was trying to build his bridge in the 1800s. That always seemed a very pulp like story.

Nuts got beaten to it. Well add my vote for them.

I'm tempted to send a party off in search of the Namibian Fog-Basking Beetle' date=' although big game hunters might be a bit disappointed when they find it :D It does have one of the best names ever, though; and a reasonable level of acrobatics.[/quote']

Hey, hit that BGH with a shrinking ray, do 7 or 8 levels of Shrinking, and he'll find the Namibian Fog-Basking Beetle nothing to sneeze at!

Hey, there's an idea: Tiny Game Hunters! :eg:

Sorry, Steve. I know, fun but not helpful. Oh well...

There are some Conan stories with "dragons" that are obviously some sort of dinosaur, and there's a Solomon Kane story with "harpies" that are humanoid bats. How about a couple of mythical monsters made over into natural animals, or rather natural animals that could be the inspiration for the myths? Maybe something like a large clawed and fanged monkey with a prehensile tail, which inspired stories of the manticore.

Guest Admiral C

The Cassowary, a vicious ostrich-like bird that still causes fatalities in northern Australia.

The Tasmanian tiger. I believe it went extinct right around the turn of the century.

Extra large, or lethal, swarms of army ants, piranha (cinematic piranha) locusts, and killer bees.

An homage to the The Hound of the Baskervilles might be good. That's not too weird. In homages if you really needed some filler you could have an homage to the wood beast from Flash Gordon. I could easily use this in any number of primitive societies. Whether or not Princess Clara administers the test or not is optional.

Sorry if I seem to be on a megafauna kick, but I remembered another classic mammalian giant: the Megatherium, or giant ground sloth. The size of an elephant, it weighed up to five tons and could stand on its hind legs and tail to a height of twenty feet. (If you p!ss one off, you'd better have a big tree to climb.) Those huge claws could probably dissembowel a man with one blow.

As you can see from the linked article, while the megatherium has long been thought of as a placid grazer like modern sloths, new research suggests it might have been omnivorous, a scavenger or even a predator. And indications are that it went extinct only 8,000 years ago, so isolated survivors are certainly not a stretch.

The Tasmanian tiger. I believe it went extinct right around the turn of the century.

The last known Tasmanian Tiger (Thylacine) specimen died in the Hobart zoo in 1936. That is usually given as when the species became extinct. However, there have been reported sightings of wildly varyiing reliability up to the present day. Interestingly, very few of these sightings have been in Tasmania - most have been on mainland Australia, where it supposedly became extinct thousands of years ago (about the time that the Dingo was introduced).

As an aside, it is easy to look at a picture of a Thylacine and mentally classify it as something similar to Canis (the dog family). However, it was on a totally different branch of the evolutionary tree - being a marsupial (females had a pouch for carrying immature young) with stripes, a quite different anatomy and markedly different behavioural traits.

That shallow similarity to Canis carries over into these reported sightings - something about the size of a dog or wolf, and roughly the same shape, but striped and with a very very different gait. And able to gape its jaws to an amazing degree (think crocodile).

Thylacoleo, the Marsupial Lion, is another possibility, if not already covered. Extinct for over 20,000 years, but there are cryptozoologists who claim it still exists in isolated regions (natch!). Think of it as a Marsupial version of the Sabre-Toothed Tiger, except a tad bigger with the inside curve of its giant canine teeth having SERRATED EDGES.

For something a little different, what about the Beast of Gevaudan? Hey, why not a European adventure for the GWH?

More seriously, if you wanted to use the wildest legends (but stayed within reality otherwise) for the Beast, how would you write it up? I'd go with a very clever wolf, stronger and faster than normal, and probably some Combat Luck as a start.