Favorite 60-point Power Construction

Mr. Gridlock

Not in any abusive way, but what's your favorite 60 Active Point power construction?

I remember back in the day when Increased Stun Multiplier debuted and (I think it was in Super Agents) that the Hyper Velocity Slug Thrower (or something along those lines. Pellet Gun?) was written up.

I immediately grabbed that up for my hero's new weapon and boy, did I have a good time with it.

1d6 RKA w/+6 Increased Stun Multiple. 4 clips of 8, OAF. 60 Active, 30 Real.

Loved those 66 Stun rolls! Now that the ISM is just a +1/4, you could add a silencer! Haha. Ah, the good ol' days.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Favorite 60-point Power Construction

Any highly advantaged attack power tends to be disproportionately effective:

Killer Bees: Energy Blast 1d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1), No Normal Defense ([standard]; +1), Does BODY (+1), Area Of Effect (256" Radius; +2 1/2), Selective (+1/4), Autofire (640 shots; +4), Non-Standard Attack Power (+1) (59 Active Points); No Range (-1/2)

Mind you I'd never use or allow it: 640 Body and over 1800 stun to any target you like in a 1/2 km radius...

One I do like is this:

Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6+1, No Normal Defense (Energy Field Defences; +1), Does BODY (+1) (60 Active Points)

It is your basic lightsabre: cuts anything but energy fields. Even with 30 STR it only does 2d6 but it terrifies complacent players who are not used to taking Body damage :)

One I do like is this:

Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6+1, No Normal Defense (Energy Field Defences; +1), Does BODY (+1) (60 Active Points)

It is your basic lightsabre: cuts anything but energy fields. Even with 30 STR it only does 2d6 but it terrifies complacent players who are not used to taking Body damage :)

I'm used to taking body, and it still terrifies me. I was watching Star Wars IV the other night, and when Luke first starts waiving around his lightsaber, I yelled "watch out with that, it cuts through anything, you bumpkin!" True story.

Back before 5th edition rules specifically prohibited it I liked the recursive drain build (worked with transfer and absorption too). You made the drain add part of the points it took to its "maximum effect" points, and you could drain an infinite amount of power. By making part of the points go into the drain its self, it snowballed and got bigger and more powerful. You'd start out relatively weak, but could eventually defeat anyone, anywhere, no matter what.

The based on ego KA was another favorite I used for my campaigns big villain. His assassin has invisibility, desolidification, and a killing attack based on ECV. Which thus required resistant ego defense, which nobody buys. Spendy, but very lethal. I remember posting those on Red October long ago.

60 pointer, hm? I guess that would be for a character I created for my "return of Prof. Muerte" article in Digital Hero #44.

The character is an Automaton Brick powered by electromagnetism, who can absorb electricity to temporarily supercharge his internal magnetic field, boosting his physical strength and his structural integrity:

Lightning In A Bottle: Absorption 5d6 (energy, 1/3 to STR, 2/3 to BODY), Can Absorb Maximum Of 60 Points Worth Of Energy, Delayed Return Rate (5 points per 5 minutes; +1/2) (60 Active Points); Only Electricity (-1/2) (total cost: 40 points).

While the Automaton would obviously become more dangerous if hit with electrical attacks, if physically overmatched or running out of BODY it can seek out and break into the nearest large source of electricity, like a city power line (it also has a Detect Electrical Current to make such sources easy to find), and soak up the juice to put it back in the fight. This also enables one to scale the character to the opposition, by having it absorb the desired amount of current off-screen before entering combat. OTOH the character also has a chance to become Enraged (Berserk) when it absorbs electricity, so that's usually a last ditch tactic, and makes it a bit of a wild card if the GM likes such randomness.

The based on ego KA was another favorite I used for my campaigns big villain. His assassin has invisibility' date=' desolidification, and a killing attack based on ECV. Which thus required resistant ego defense, which [i']nobody[/i] buys. Spendy, but very lethal. I remember posting those on Red October long ago.

Which is why our GM doesn't like KA based on ECV. He prefers Ego Attack Does Body...

Although he did put it to a vote by the party if we wanted to allow it. The GM pointedly had Menton's character sheet out in front of him as we discussed it, though...shock.gif

Needless to say we voted it down.

From my lion moreau character, Pride:

Roar (Total: 60 Active Cost, 25 Real Cost)

• Hearing Group Images 1" Radius, +8 to PER Rolls (29 Active Points); Set Effect (Lion's Roar) (-1), No Range (-1/2) (Real Cost: 12)
  • +10 PRE [for a total of 30 :eg:] (10 Active Points); Only for fear-based PRE Attacks (-1), Linked (Images, -1/2) (Real Cost: 4)
  • Telekinesis (4 STR) (6 Active Points); Only to push away (-1), Linked (Images, -1/2), Reduced by Range (-1/4) (Real Cost: 2)
  • Double Knockdown (+1/4) for up to 60 Active Points of PRE Attacks (15 Active Points); Linked (Images, -1/2), No Range (-1/2) (Real Cost: 7)

The GM ruled that in order for the Double Knockdown to apply, the PRE attack had to at least exceed the target's PRE, which was fine with me! :D

Any highly advantaged attack power tends to be disproportionately effective:

Killer Bees: Energy Blast 1d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1), No Normal Defense ([standard]; +1), Does BODY (+1), Area Of Effect (256" Radius; +2 1/2), Selective (+1/4), Autofire (640 shots; +4), Non-Standard Attack Power (+1) (59 Active Points); No Range (-1/2)

Mind you I'd never use or allow it: 640 Body and over 1800 stun to any target you like in a 1/2 km radius...

Given that you still have to make an individual roll against every target and how well you roll determins how many hits they take, I don't think you'll do

"640 Body and over 1800 stun to any target" let alone "to any target you like." Unless you have 640 combat skill levels.....

Lucius Alexander

640 Skill Levels with Palindromedary

I like this one:

Destabilize Life-energy: EB 3d6, AVLD (Power Defense) +1.25, Uncontrolled (+1/2) can be turned off by taking a Recovery (post12 does not count), Constant (+1), Half End (+1/4).

Hit them once, run away but keep close by. If they try to recover, Haymaker them with a generic 12d6 EB in the same Framework. Or let your team mates do that. If they don't recover, keep dodging. The character has an incredible CV (and horrible defenses, of course).

I also like the Lightsaber construct and I have my own variant (same character):

Induce Heart Attack (SFX: Target has a heart attack and spits blood): 1d6 RKA, Indirect (+1/4) always "from inside the target", No Knockback (-1/4), AVLD Power Defense (+1.25), Increased Stun multiplier x2 (+1/2).

Question: Would a target need Resistant Power Defense against the body damage?

Another build I like *a lot*:

Generic Attack plus:

Elemental Attunement: NPA Variable SFX +1/4 for (60 AP?), Visible (-1/4), Extra Time Half Phase (-1/2), Increase End x5 (-2) (and OAF -1 in my case, but that's not a necessity)

In the example case, the character has a Sword which he charges with *any* element/SFX als a half-phase action. Robots? EMP Sword! Werewolves? Silver! Water Elementals? Sword starts burning. Changes the ED/PD aspect and neatly works against vulnerabilities. Yes, it's 72.5 AP. ;)

Some more:

A Golem with VPP - Shape Body. Can make weapons/tools/stuff from his body. Force Wall (character takes damage) is also fun ("I place myself inbetween and take the hit").

Mentalist with EB 4d6, ECV vs DCV (+1/2) (TUM), double Knockback x2 (+1.5). 16"-2d6 KB is fun, especially after you declare as a GM: "Ok, you take *roll* 14 stun damage vs ED." - "What? That's like nothing?" - "Yep. Also, you suffer *roll* 14" knockback and 14d6 from that wall over there" - "Ouch!?"

I also like my Critical Hit build: NPA Armorpiercing +1/2 for 60 AP, Activation Roll 6- (-4). The roll is the same as the attack roll. Yes, that is technically better than rolling twice, but a lot more fun and faster to play.

And last but not least on a robot:

Force Wall 14/10, self only, fixed shape, concentration, lockout: anything except the repair bots

+ Regeneration 8d6, concentration, self only, 1 turn, 0 END, nonpersistant, OAF (4 repair-bots flying around the robot) -3/4, gestures, lockout (anything except the force wall)

+ 24 Recovery, same limitations, END only

Result: The robot shields itself with a force field and starts repairing itself. The recovery is distributed during the 12 segments (2 per segment). The build is not finished yet, but I like where it is going. I fear I will have to bump up the Forcewall quite a bit, since the PCs will do 15 Body easily (they carry around (advantaged) 4d6 KAs, and more than one).

Given that you still have to make an individual roll against every target and how well you roll determins how many hits they take, I don't think you'll do

"640 Body and over 1800 stun to any target" let alone "to any target you like." Unless you have 640 combat skill levels.....

Lucius Alexander

640 Skill Levels with Palindromedary

You're right: scrap the 'selective' and make it accurate. Only affects one target then but completely destroys that one target.

Here is a power I came up with for these boards, but really rather liked. Actually it is 2 powers that are linked, and designed to simulate a heart attack. If you need them in 60 points for a MP, get rid of the 'linked' limitation and replace with a limitation that the KA can only be applied to a target suffering from the CON drain.

Drain CON 6d6 (60 Active Points); Limited Power Only for heartattack purposes (-1/2) 60 points active and 40 real 6 END

AND

Killing Attack - Ranged 1/2d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2), +2 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/2), Continuous (+1), No Normal Defense (Unusual physiology or specific defences against electricity; +1), Does BODY (+1) (55 Active Points); Activation Roll 12- (-3/4), Linked (Drain; Lesser Power can only be used when character uses greater Power at full value; -3/4), No Range (-1/2)

18 real 55 Active 0 END

So this power causes an alternating current to send the heartinto fibrillation. The power has no range, and you have to basically slap your hands on the target's chest (a normal 'to hit' roll will do - just like the paddles a defibrillator uses. Yelling 'Clear!' is optional )

If the target has specific defences against electricity (not just ED) or unusual physiology - alien - altered body - android - it has no effect but otherwise it causes 1/2d6 killing damage, no defence (does Body) and hurts like hell IF you roll 12 or less on the activation. If you fail the activation roll, the power stops, otherwise it keeps going next phase and so on until you DO fail an activation roll.

On average this should mean about 3 to 4 activations before the power stops (there's about a 25% chance of rolling 13 or more on 3d6) but you could get none or it could continue until the target actually dies (although that is unlikely - you would need approximately 2x target Body activations to accomplish that - however the target will be down and in pain - you can expect 'average’ damage of 6-8 Body and 33-44 Stun, over 3 to 4 phases, although stun damage will vary from 2 to 21 per phase, so is pretty variable.

Because of the way adjustment powers work, you get the KA going off first - it hurts, but not too bad. Then the CON drain kicks in - 21 points on average, which is going to mean that even most superheroes are going to be seriously affected (-10 or –11 CON). The CON drain has a limitation that it only has an effect for the purposes of the heartattack - so other attacks work against the full CON for stunning purposes, but that should be enough, come the next phase, for the pain of the heartattack to really cut in and, unless the character has a very high CON, they are likely to spend at least the next turn rolling on the floor clutching their chest. Although a single application of the power is unlikely to kill most characters, it COULD if they were unlucky and multiple applications almost certainly would.

Absolute bargain at 58 points real. Mind you it is a very synergistic 115 points active, so I think most GMs would rightly be very wary.

Vestnik's idea is one I used a lot too, especially back when it was 3 points per D6. You could make a really effective green lantern-like character with that. 60 points buys a lot of HTA at 3 points per.

And I wasn't trying to give abusive powers, just really interesting effective ones.

I also like the Lightsaber construct and I have my own variant (same character):

Induce Heart Attack (SFX: Target has a heart attack and spits blood): 1d6 RKA, Indirect (+1/4) always "from inside the target", No Knockback (-1/4), AVLD Power Defense (+1.25), Increased Stun multiplier x2 (+1/2).

Question: Would a target need Resistant Power Defense against the body damage?

Yes.

Per the FAQ:

What would a character need Resistant Mental Defense or Power Defense for?

He’d need Resistant Mental Defense to protect against, say, a BOECV RKA. He’d need Resistant Power Defense to protect against, say, an RKA AVLD Does BODY. Admittedly, both are pretty obscure and unlikely to crop up in the average campaign. :)

Yeah, but the power build listed would need the additional Does Body (+1) advantage to actually do BODY damage just like any other NND or AVLD attack, right? (Mind you, slipping an average of 9 points of STUN past just about anyone's defenses isn't exactly chicken feed if you're dealing with a villain that's nigh-invulnerable otherwise...)

I think my favorite 60-point power would be one that I came up with for Earth Girl:

Cloud of Pollen: Sight and Smell/Taste Groups Flash 5d6, Area Of Effect Nonselective (4" Radius; +3/4), Personal Immunity (+1/4) (60 Active Points); Activation Roll 14- (-1/2), No Range (-1/2), Only When In Contact With The Ground (natural earth, stone, and soil only; -1/2) 24 Real Points, used as a 2-point ultra slot in a multipower.

The flowers that grow in her "hair" and on various other parts of her body open up and start spraying highly allergenic pollen into the air around her.

30 Hand Clap!: Touch Group Flash 8d6' date=' Does Knockback (+1/4), Explosion (+1/2), Double Knockback (+3/4) (60 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Restrainable (Claps Hands; -1/2) - END=6[/quote']

I think you need Personal Immunity or Hole in the Middle, n'est ce pas?

I think you need Personal Immunity or Hole in the Middle' date=' [i']n'est ce pas?[/i]

If a more important sense were chosen that might be true. The character could also just have 10 points of Flash Defense for that sense as well. In the case of the Touch Sense Group I don't think it's really necessary one way or another as the Flash and it's normal effects are not the goal of the build. The 16" average base Knockback is (which the character using the power can just Brace Vs. KB).

Technically, according to the rules, if you buy an AE attack that is always no range, you'll hurt yourself every time. Rationally, that's silly; hole in the middle should be used to protect OTHERS near you, not yourself, I think. But that's another discussion.

I'd build it as a cone anyway: it doesn't hit everyone everywhere, just people in front.