Picking a codename that, like, a million other characters haven't already used.

Karmakaze

Re: Picking a codename that, like, a million other characters haven't already used.

There was an old Sierra computer game called Laura Bow. Whenever you picked up something and added it to your inventory' date=' a very prim voice informed you that "You pick it up and place it in your purse." This was fine, until a point near the endgame where you need to manipulate a sarcophagus that's about three times the size of the character. So, as you touch it (so your sprite can push it over to block a door) you hear "You pick it up and place it in your purse..." That must have been [i']some[/i] purse!

The LucasArts Monkey Island series played off of this. You were always putting things in your pocket, and at one point you get a 10' banana picker, which you pick up, stretch out your pocket, and drop in. It was a very fun game.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Picking a codename that, like, a million other characters haven't already used.

I left at Ice Age... i don't even know what "phasing" is.

Basically, at the beginning of your turn (pre-untap), any creatures with phasing leave play ("phase out") and any phased-out creatures return to play ("phase in"). It resulted in some rather unpleasant rules interactions with enters-play and leaves-play triggers, and WotC has put it in the 'not worth the effort' bin along with Banding.

Dreadnaught was also a very unfortunate villain in the 4ed. Golden Age Champions book. I think the armor had 5d6 Unluck' date=' kept breaking down at the wrong moments and slowly killed its wearers.[/quote']

I think you're thinking of the Dreadnought that first appeared in Enemies III (the first enemies book that didn't look like it was written on a type-writer.....waaay back) and was reprized in Classic Enemies years later for 4th. He looked like his armor was made from steel barrels welded together with an eye-slit.

nerd power FTW.

Myrmidon is less obscure, easier to pronounce, conveys the same basic theme (an armoured soldier), and a quick google says it hasn't been used for any super characters.

Somewhere back in my head rings a bell, saying: Wasn't there a Myrmidon in the Champions Universe? :confused: 4E? Anyone?

but Banding was so useful... it made so many small white creatures cool!

Also extremely confusing; even some Pro Tour champions didn't understand how it worked. I liked the en-Kor from Tempest block better. Each one had the ability to redirect damage to another creature for free. They were DAMNED hard to kill off without a direct 'Destroy target creature' effect.

(Nimrod was a mighty hunter from the Bible. In a cartoon, Bugs referred to Elmer Fudd as a nimrod in a disparaging tone. Many folks assumed that it was a straightforward insult rather than sarcasm..." This made Marvel's use of Nimrod as the name for the unstoppable Sentinel from the future come off rather oddly.)

Or a Nimrod MRA4 Maritime Reconnaissance Aircraft :D

Also extremely confusing; even some Pro Tour champions didn't understand how it worked. I liked the en-Kor from Tempest block better. Each one had the ability to redirect damage to another creature for free. They were DAMNED hard to kill off without a direct 'Destroy target creature' effect.
Don't make me pull out my Nevinyrral's Disk.

Dreadnought is from First Sea Lord John "Jackie" Fisher's family motto: "Fear God and Dread Nought"

How about the opposite end of the battleship era: Vanguard?

Or other British battleship names:

Bellerophon

Iron Duke

Renown

Dreadnought is from First Sea Lord John "Jackie" Fisher's family motto: "Fear God and Dread Nought"

How about the opposite end of the battleship era: Vanguard?

Or other British battleship names:

Bellerophon

Iron Duke

Renown

Alas, Sea Lord Baron Sir John "Jackie" Fisher chose his family motto after the commissioning of HMS Dreadnaught. "Dreadnaught" was a old British warship name, being first used by a 40 gun Ship of the Line in 1553. The famous battleship was the eighth ship of the name. And the second battleship of the name.

British battleships make for some good choices, I must admit: Warrior, Black Prince, Valiant, Achilles, Minotaur, Hercules, Swiftsure, Thunderer... American battleships, with thier 'named for states' traditions don't have that impact.

Alas, Sea Lord Baron Sir John "Jackie" Fisher chose his family motto after the commissioning of HMS Dreadnaught. "Dreadnaught" was a old British warship name, being first used by a 40 gun Ship of the Line in 1553. The famous battleship was the eighth ship of the name. And the second battleship of the name.

British battleships make for some good choices, I must admit: Warrior, Black Prince, Valiant, Achilles, Minotaur, Hercules, Swiftsure, Thunderer... American battleships, with thier 'named for states' traditions don't have that impact.

Saratoga: Stay back and let me handle this with my powers of second-hand smoke!

Nimitz: No, Saratoga, you stand aside and let me handle this with my Ultra-Nimitz-Vision!

Saratoga: What's a--

Nimitz: Shut up and go with it.

Saratoga: Stay back and let me handle this with my powers of second-hand smoke!

Nimitz: No, Saratoga, you stand aside and let me handle this with my Ultra-Nimitz-Vision!

Saratoga: What's a--

Nimitz: Shut up and go with it.

OK, American carrier names don't do any better.

American submarines had some good nautical names... Seawolf, Skipjack, Seatiger. Not anymore. Now they're all cities, states, 'great Americans' and one former president. Why? "Fish don't vote for sub funding."

I'd considered Tin Lizzie but discarded it as a little too mocking. I keep thinking I should be able to come up with a good concept for that codename, though. (I wouldn't be surprised if it's been used before). I envision something a little more ad hoc and less polished than your traditional power armored type. The character would also have to have a sense of humor about herself to carry that off.

Might I suggest for this character the name--CANTANKERESS?

It's a play on the word cantankerous, in that it fits the character's personality, and it describes the appearance of the power armor--basically a can with arms and legs and very tough.

And yes, she would have a sense of humor about the name--she'd probably enjoy intimtidating people, especially the bad guys.

As for Dreadnought--or Dreadnaught if you prefer--the name has always suggested size, strength, and fearlessness. Sounds like a hero to me.