Picking a codename that, like, a million other characters haven't already used.

Karmakaze

In the course of conceiving characters, I occasionally get stuck on codenames, since most of the ones that make sense have been used by Marvel, DC, a couple of independents and uncountable gaming tables over the years. Sometimes I try expanding out my vocabulary to find something new.

I'm pretty sure my power armor character in the works is going to be Cataphract (though arguably they were heavy cavalry, so the lack of a 'horse' hurts the metaphor a bit).

I'd considered Tin Lizzie but discarded it as a little too mocking. I keep thinking I should be able to come up with a good concept for that codename, though. (I wouldn't be surprised if it's been used before). I envision something a little more ad hoc and less polished than your traditional power armored type. The character would also have to have a sense of humor about herself to carry that off.

I've also recently been thinking that Heterodox would make a good codename, but I'm less sure what concept I'd use. Clearly it would be someone departing from the traditional mode - maybe mad science or someone from a non-interventionist group that's decided to go out and be a hero in defiance of tradition.

Another of my favorite words (for no good reason) is Phlebotomist. What with the whole taking blood thing, though, I wonder if that would have to be a villain codename.

So... if you were faced with any of those as codenames, what would you expect to be facing? Any other obscure words that would make good concept seeds?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Picking a codename that, like, a million other characters haven't already used.

I don't sweat it. If a published character has a codename you want, take it. The game characters will never be published or used to make money (well, mine won't, at least), so you don't have to worry about Marvel or DC banging down your door for playing Spider-Man or Batman.

Anyway ... most of those words I just don't know. Cataphract wouldn't mean anything to me ("Your super power involves giving people bad vision?!" "That's a CATARACT!"), Tin Lizzie could maybe be a female version of Colossus, Heterodox and Phlebotomist would just get blank stares.

Re: Picking a codename that, like, a million other characters haven't already used.

We have a character (PC) in Epic City called Heterodyne. It fit the character's powers perfectly since he was an energy-based hero that absorbed, combined and increased other's energy attacks.

In your case, since the adjective heterodox is synonymous with dissident why not approach the character like an outsider who rails against the machine. Perhaps he's an off-the-grid conspiracy therorist. Maybe he's an insider (Federal Judge?) who finds his hands tied by the Law day in and out who chooses to disregard those convictions by night to "do the right thing". Or, he could even be a preacher who's personal (and public?) doctrine stands in direct opposition to the Church's secret (and perhaps corrupt) practices.

The only problem I see with your codename selection is that, unless you consistently battle on college campuses, they'll need some explaining. :)

On the bright side... I doubt many people woould know what a Juggernaut was if not for Cain Marko. :thumbup:

The only problem I see with your codename selection is that' date=' unless you consistently battle on college campuses, they'll need some explaining. :)[/quote']

The Fourth Edition Champions supplement Creatures of the Night included a villain whose schtick was creating superpowered artificial animals loyal to him, which were either composites of other animals or completely fantastical creatures. He took the code-name "The Great Beast," but had originally wanted to use "Professor Therion" (classical Greek for "beast"). He dropped that idea because almost no-one knew what "therion" meant. ;)

One should beware of striving so hard for originality that one forgets that some ideas have never been used just because they are bad.

Cataphract isn't just obscure to the point of misleading, it's also a bit difficult to pronounce. Myrmidon is less obscure, easier to pronounce, conveys the same basic theme (an armoured soldier), and a quick google says it hasn't been used for any super characters.

Tin Lizzie's a good name, and one that hasn't been used in comics (although there was an obscure 60s science fiction novel). It suggests a robot or cyborg of course. Note that a "Lizzie" in the days of Ford was what they called a servant.

Heterodox isn't terrible, but it doesn't mean anything.

As for Phlebotomist, I'd expect that character to be more than a century old and to have some kind of age reversing serum made from the blood of young people.

Welp, the question becomes "what is the name for?" For a hero, you're trying to put fear in your enemies, reassure the innocent, convince law enforcement you're on thier side, and hide who you really are.

Nom de Capes I've used included...

Shadow Hawk: invisibility, flight, martial arts

Pheonix Hawk: Fire powers, flight

War Hawk: flight, rka, armor

Killer Hawk: villian, flight, hka.

Stick: blind martial artist

Armor wearers included

B.A.D.G.E.R. - acronym stood for "Battle Armor Designed by Gregory Edwin Robertson"

(Acronyms work good for armor wearers, implies military funding)

The Starry Knight

(Knight's a good word to add for armor wearers)

Steel Tiger

(Steel's another good word)

PanzerKrieger - "Armored Warrior" in bad German. "Panzer" is armor, of course.

Paladin

(another knight reference)

Dreadnaught - battleship reference, and not really heroic sounding.

P.A.B.A. - another acronym, but I don't remember what for. Sounded foolish.

As for villians with names no one 'gets', I can picture it now...

Villian: "I am Professor Therion!"

Silly person: "What's a Therion?"

(Professor Therion fires energy bolt at silly person): "Kzap!"

PT: "Look it up, worm!"

On the bright side... I doubt many people woould know what a Juggernaut was if not for Cain Marko. :thumbup:

And then there's the number of people who misunderstand what a Nimrod is, thanks to Bugs Bunny.

(Nimrod was a mighty hunter from the Bible. In a cartoon, Bugs referred to Elmer Fudd as a nimrod in a disparaging tone. Many folks assumed that it was a straightforward insult rather than sarcasm..." This made Marvel's use of Nimrod as the name for the unstoppable Sentinel from the future come off rather oddly.)

As for villians with names no one 'gets', I can picture it now...

Villian: "I am Professor Therion!"

Silly person: "What's a Therion?"

(Professor Therion fires energy bolt at silly person): "Kzap!"

PT: "Look it up, worm!"

Handy: Even now, he (The Tick) sulks like Achilles in his tent.

(Everyone stares blankly at him.)

Handy: Achilles? The Iliad? It's Homer??? READ A BOOK!

Dreadnaught - battleship reference, and not really heroic sounding.

Dreadnaught was also a very unfortunate villain in the 4ed. Golden Age Champions book. I think the armor had 5d6 Unluck, kept breaking down at the wrong moments and slowly killed its wearers.

Dreadnaught was also a very unfortunate villain in the 4ed. Golden Age Champions book. I think the armor had 5d6 Unluck' date=' kept breaking down at the wrong moments and slowly killed its wearers.[/quote']

A bit of conflation there. ;) The "breaking down" armor belonged to The Main, a more comical member of the Asesinos villain team as presented in the BBB. I believe the "Unluck" armor from Golden Age Champions you're thinking of was the Russian Battlesuit Potemkin.

OTOH Dreadnaught (actually called "Juggernaut" when he first appeared in Enemies III) was written up for Classic Enemies; and yes, the nuclear pile in the suit did slowly kill the wearer, which was why it was normally given to cheap flunkies of criminal masterminds.

The thought of these guys picking up a Juggernaut and putting it in their pockets always cracked me up. :ugly:

There was an old Sierra computer game called Laura Bow. Whenever you picked up something and added it to your inventory, a very prim voice informed you that "You pick it up and place it in your purse." This was fine, until a point near the endgame where you need to manipulate a sarcophagus that's about three times the size of the character. So, as you touch it (so your sprite can push it over to block a door) you hear "You pick it up and place it in your purse..." That must have been some purse!