Character regrets

JmOz

Have you ever had a character that you made for a game , and either never got to play, or that the game fizzled out after only very few sessions? I was just thinking that it would be interesting to talk about these characters a bit, these characters that we regret not being able to play.

I think my greatest is Lynn Worthington, here is the original character link I did for him a couple years ago http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48781&highlight=Babylon+5

I got to play just one session with him, and even that session (Which was a meet and greet) I got to play very little

Re: Character regrets

Nothing I regret so much as hopeful they find a new home.

My face-to-face Champions game I started out with a Mental Blaster - it was a pretty standard series of Blaster abilities (ranged attacks) all with a Mental SFX (modified EBs, EGO Drains, Mental Group Flash). I thought it was a kind of cool concept. The GM mentioned they'd wished someone had picked a Mystic type because they had some cool ideas. I'd never played a Mystic so I put aside the Mind Blaster and built a Mystic.

Never even got to the table, heck never even got through the full vetting process with the GM - we were still modifying a lot of the characters powers.

The second was actually built for a Hero Central campaign, that never happened. No one's fault really, I don't think the GM was prepared to run the idea - they just thought it was a cool concept and a bunch of us dog piled him with "Heck Yeah!" and kind of convinced him to open a game he probably wasn't totally prepared to run.

I reintroduced them to another HC campaign that I bowed out of due to conflicts of style. I'm hoping to find a home for them - I like the idea. An indestructible ex-con trying to do good, a pacifist in a world of epic battles.

Funny thing, I've been moping for a while over a major revision to the published Champions villain, Valak the World-Ravager, that I tinkered with over several months. I wanted to expand his versatility while keeping to the same basic concept, so that not only would he be more effective against powerful opposition without just piling on more raw power, but also usable as much more than just a combat monster.

Frankly, I'm quite proud of my design for Valak, but as I'm not running a game now and am unlikely to be able to for some time, particularly at that power level, I have no use for him. Moreover, since he's a Hero Games character I can't even post him for others to use. :(

If I can find them... I found two versions of the mental blaster - I'm not even sure which one was the actual contender for the campaign and both are still rather incomplete.

For example, one version had the character blind, but there's no other senses added in yet to actually allow them to use their powers (d'oh!), I believe we were still working on the best way to create a Detect Minds Power to fit the campaign. I'm pretty sure the "not going to be used" version is the one where they can still see and have a Mental Killing Attack that was Always On and Requires Eye Contact (imagine never being able to look into someone's eyes. . .)

Here's the original Indestructible character; The original campaign intent was that a group of people were elevated with alien technology, a single aspect of their lives was made Super. In this characters case they were an Olympic Athlete, their focus was on endurance and running, they also competed heavily in various triathalon (and other types) of competitions. When they were made super they just became stronger, faster and able to withstand the harshest of conditions.

Val Char Cost

30 STR 20

15 DEX 15

29 CON 38

19 BODY 18

13 INT 3

12 EGO 4

15 PRE 5

14 COM 2

12/30 PD 6

12/30 ED 6

7 SPD 45

12 REC 0

58 END 0

49 STUN 0

20" RUN 28

10" SWIM 8

8" LEAP 2

Characteristics Cost: 200

Cost Power

54 Unbreakable: Armor (18 PD/18 ED)

10 Unmutable: Power Defense (10 points)

7 Hardened Mind: Mental Defense (9 points total)

6 Sight Group Flash Defense (6 points)

4 Umoveable Object: Knockback Resistance -2"

14 Altered Physiology: Life Support (Eating: Character does not eat; Extended Breathing: 1 END per 5 Minutes; Longevity: 400 Years; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Sleeping: Character only has to sleep 8 hours per year)

15 Unbreakable: Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 25%

Powers Cost: 110

Cost Skill

3 Acrobatics 12-

3 Breakfall 12-

3 Climbing 12-

3 Contortionist 12-

3 Conversation 12-

3 High Society 12-

2 KS: Buddhism 11-

3 Linguist

1 1) Language: French (fluent conversation) (2 Active Points)

1 2) Language: German (fluent conversation) (2 Active Points)

1 3) Language: Hindi (fluent conversation) (2 Active Points)

2 4) Language: Russian (completely fluent) (3 Active Points)

2 PS: Athlete 11-

3 Stealth 12-

3 Streetwise 12-

Skills Cost: 36

Cost Talent

4 Double Jointed

Talents Cost: 4

Total Character Cost: 350

Pts. Disadvantage

15 Mystery Hunted

20 Dependent NPC: Boyfriend: Dominic 8- (Incompetent; Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID)

10 Distinctive Features: Tattoos (sleeves, large tattoo on her back and stomach) (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

5 Hunted: Brother, Sergei 8- (Less Pow, Capture/Locate)

10 Hunted: Old Enemies 8- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)

15 Psychological Limitation: Athletic Competative Streak (Very Common, Moderate)

20 Psychological Limitation: Will Not Initiate Violence/Pacifist (Very Common, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Code Vs Killing (Common, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Vegan (Uncommon, Total)

15 Social Limitation: Secret ID (Frequently, Major)

5 Social Limitation: Vegitarian (Occasionally, Minor)

5 Unluck: 1d6

Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200

Actually, I've gone through most of the heroes and villains that I've played in one Champions game or another over the years and put most of them (mostly the heroes) together into a graphic novel script I've titled Legacy. I'd love to have it drawn sometime.... but probably it won't happen any time soon.

g-a' date=' how does he deal dmage? 6 DC seems paltry, although I've made similar characters. They just don't do much damage in combat, but are excellent in other areas.[/quote']

They weren't supposed to be damage dealers. They were actually designed as movement (a Move Through can do a hefty 13D which was - IIRC pushing or over the original campaign max) and assistance.

Getting civilians out of the way, protection, etc.

The character was supposed to grow into a Martial Artists role for combat as things progressed. The lack of initial offensive capability was on purpose.

Getting civilians out of the way, protection, etc.

The character was supposed to grow into a Martial Artists role for combat as things progressed. The lack of initial offensive capability was on purpose.

An oft-overlooked potential in a hero. The Flash appreciates your homage. :)

Character(s) I'd like to use but can't? Let's see: currently there's Dendroid, a guy who can turn into a living, moveable tree - similar to Treants but smaller.

I have a young character I'd like to get into a group as she'd work better in a group but it's proving extremely difficult.

I have a girl robot character that I was intending to be in a group but had her go solo... and it's actually working out. :thumbup:

These are just a few. I've got too many to put down, many more I've forgotten because there just wasn't a place for them in the campaign.

I've got a character right now without a home: a mage with one fairly large EC of elemental magics (high power, only four slots) and then a really low powered MP of cantrips with something like 24 slots. He's a freakin' swiss army knife...

Apollyon, a character I use for a lot of the WWYCD threads was designed for a game on Hero Central that folded almost as soon as he got in. I've thought about brining the character into the Metahumans Rising world as a GMPC but he doesn't really fit that campaigns tone. so for now he lives here on the boards.