About PRIMUS

JmOz

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: About PRIMUS

I'd want "Superhuman" in there, and "Assault" is too limited, as I see SAT having their own, albeit limited, intel gathering operation. Plus, "Special" has too many "short bus" connotations for a group that is trying to establish itself as the alternative to PRIMUS (ideally to displace and/or replace their rival). And "Superhuman Activity Team" sounds like something that would have started as internal to the FBI as an interim proposal and then got tapped to be expanded into the "PRIMUS alternative" agency.

Just thinking, how do you want to represent the weapons of Primus? The sources I have said that they are state of the art-hence they have activation rolls. Now I personally have had a problem with activation rolls, would I want a weapon that may or may not fire? Also what damage classes are you looking at? According to the Gadget supplement, that agents weapons were set at a level to annoy the Hero/Vilians but not to overwelm them in one shot.

Another thought about Cyberline, you can use this as a catalyst for creating villians too. The Buffalo (from Enemies 3) was created by the Department of Defense (IIRC). And Orb (from Enemies 2) was a test subject from UNTIL, which cause him to go crazy. these are ideas that you can use if someone is not compatible with Cyberline.

I've already decided that both PRIMUS and SAT will use super-tech weapons as standard issue. The main metagame reason is flavor: super-tech is a "signature" that distinguishes a superagency from more "mundane" ones. As to damage classes, etc, I intend to have them use weapons comparable to VIPER and UNTIL. No activation rolls, except for weapons with "exotic effects", and then only for story-driven purposes.

That said, I am considering that specific individuals in either agency might choose to carry standard firearms of comparable damage potential (DCs). By way of example, in a previous campaign I played in, the GM had the city's Silver Avenger carrying a .50 Desert Eagle; this was explained as a senior SA having the privilege of making that choice.

OTOH, military personnel who have received a super-soldier or superhuman soldier treatment might carry conventional firearms, albeit of larger caliber and/or higher rates of fire.

As to super-soldier and superhuman soldier enhanced persons in general, I see those technologies as somewhat mature in the CU - Perseus is canonically 40 years old, Yeoman is over 30, and Cyberline is over 20. Honestly, the only rationale I can see for Onslaught even existing (let alone Sunburst) is if somebody is jonesing for "true superhumans" rather than the low-level superhumans produced by Cyberline and Yeoman or the higher-level super-soldiers produced by Perseus. And that assumes that those projects reached developmental dead ends and could not be developed further. After 20-30-40 years, R&D would have had to have been halted and those treatments (Perseus and Cyberline specifically) basically used as-is. In my setting, 'taint so. And JmOz seems to be following suit with his higher levels of Cyberline enhancement for his Avengers.

For my world Primus uses blastertech for the most part, not cutting edge (no activation roll) but definatly advance

SAT's most defining element is the MPR (Multi Purpose Rifle). Basicaly it is a gun that has a selector switch to different clips, each clip has a different ammo type in it. (Explosive, RKA, Tear Gas, etc...). I figure the riffle will have the following ammo

Normal (Probably a AP RKA)

Explosive (Pen Ex RKA)

Tear Gas

Flashbang

Rubber Bullets (AF-3 EB)

Maybe a gyrojet (RKA)

Those are great ideas. I like the multi-clip idea. Now I don't mind if the said super weapon has a burnout roll. For one at least the agent has a chance to use the weapon, and two, I can see that because it is developmental, you can fry the circuits.

I was thinking that the weapons could have two diffrent settings. First would have now activation roll say 8d6 (just to throw out a number) but the second would be a overload setting (hence unsafe and unstable) perhaps a burnout roll, which destroys the weapon. (3 6's and the weapon explodes!) Captain i'm giving her all she got!

Those are great ideas. I like the multi-clip idea. Now I don't mind if the said super weapon has a burnout roll. For one at least the agent has a chance to use the weapon, and two, I can see that because it is developmental, you can fry the circuits.

I was thinking that the weapons could have two diffrent settings. First would have now activation roll say 8d6 (just to throw out a number) but the second would be a overload setting (hence unsafe and unstable) perhaps a burnout roll, which destroys the weapon. (3 6's and the weapon explodes!) Captain i'm giving her all she got!

Nice idea. This could also be used to represent, um... "user modifications".

SAT's most defining element is the MPR (Multi Purpose Rifle). Basicaly it is a gun that has a selector switch to different clips, each clip has a different ammo type in it. (Explosive, RKA, Tear Gas, etc...). I figure the riffle will have the following ammo

Normal (Probably a AP RKA)

Explosive (Pen Ex RKA)

Tear Gas

Flashbang

Rubber Bullets (AF-3 EB)

Maybe a gyrojet (RKA)

I read that and thought of the Judge Dredd's Lawgiver

The Lawgiver is keyed to the DNA of the officer that it belongs to. If any one else uses the weapon they get a very nasty surprise.

With super powered individuals using it you could end up with the Judge Anderson effect. (Anderson was telepath and used her 'mindscan' as a targeting sense for her side arm in a hostage situation)

Ah... no. I want SAT to be a heroic agency - rivals to PRIMUS and to a lesser extent UNTIL, but heroic nonetheless. That kind of "deal with the devil" violates the tone I want to set for SAT.

What I'm tempted to do is have SAT use unpowered full-body hardshell armor; i.e. aside from the whole cloning thing, SAT troopers would be comparable to the elite Republic troops shown in the series. But, to prevent the whole Star Wars comparison, they'd have clear armored faceplates on their helmets, with instant polarization to handle sight flash attacks.

I think I just talked myself in to it.

Ah... no. I want SAT to be a heroic agency - rivals to PRIMUS and to a lesser extent UNTIL, but heroic nonetheless. That kind of "deal with the devil" violates the tone I want to set for SAT.

What I'm tempted to do is have SAT use unpowered full-body hardshell armor; i.e. aside from the whole cloning thing, SAT troopers would be comparable to the elite Republic troops shown in the series. But, to prevent the whole Star Wars comparison, they'd have clear armored faceplates on their helmets, with instant polarization to handle sight flash attacks.

I think I just talked myself in to it.

Agreed, while I could see them dealing with a devil to let them go "this time" I would have trouble with a standing turn the other way aproach.

As for the armor, mine whill basicaly be using something well established in my game called balistcloth, basicaly bulletproof spandex

Will this do for you? I'm surprised nobody's stolen this look sooner--

0330_62scitec.gif

Or maybe they have and I haven't heard about it. Hope this helps.

Will this do for you? I'm surprised nobody's stolen this look sooner--

0330_62scitec.gif

Or maybe they have and I haven't heard about it. Hope this helps.

Um... yeah. The helmet and faceplate in particular are perfect. For SAT, I'm still thinking nonpowered hardshell armor, but this kind of soft armor would work well for rank-and-file PRIMUS agents. Change the color scheme to something more superagentish and you're set.

DIGITAL HERO #10

http://www.herogames.com/viewDHIssue.htm?issueID=95066

The $50 Million Dollar Man by Michael Surbrook

QM

Yeah, I had forgotten about that article.

I'd probably handle the artificial muscle as +5 STR no END no Figureds, on the assumption that it's not just a leg assist, but a full-body system. Maybe with a "no damage added" limitation, or maybe not.

And check the point totals on the suit itself. 127 points, not including the extra leaping or substituting +5 STR as above, or the weapons systems. That's a nice chunk of points.

Issue 2 of digital hero has a bit on a subgroup of PRIMUS called the Wizards, that I will probably use some of for this dark corner

Right now I am thinking a small group (the article says 20 agents, sounds about right)

I think 2-3 will be odd plus a bronze avenger to lead them. Among the odd, I like the idea of the ghost agent, and probably one with some spell casting powers, but more long ritual than combat magic...

If you want an Avenger to lead the group -- I assume with some sort of additional occult powers or training -- I suggest giving him the code-name "Orichalcum Avenger."

I've been considering an alternative name for SAT myself. I'm leaning toward keeping it for the sake of Champions/Hero history' date=' but I do want to change the original acronym. "Special American Tactics" seems... kinda "meh". Maybe Superhuman A____ Teams? "Action"? I dunno...[/quote']

I've toyed with the idea of making SAT Russia's domestic analogue to PRIMUS (allowing for international head-butting with UNTIL and foreign heroes), and using some of the older super-agent equipment writeups from 4E HERO books for their gear to represent that Russia is a little behind the curve technologically these days. SAT would be an acronym for one of those arcanely convoluted Russian agency names, but I haven't been able to translate a good Russian moniker yet. :o

Onslaught' date=' in [i']Predators[/i], is a "failed" product of Project Onslaught. The failure was psychological, not physical, so that character sheet is a good example of the physical results of Onslaught.

Actually, Onslaught is in Villains, Vandals, And Vermin. As a "light brick" with some martial arts training he would indeed make a good template for lower-powered super agents.

And' date=' quite frankly, Project Sunburst in 5E never sat very well with me. In the real world, nobody was doing above ground nuclear testing in the 90s. Sunburst has a strong 60s feel to it that I just can't see happening in the 90s.[/quote']

I can certainly appreciate why you would see it that way, and your point would be strong for the 4E version of the Project, trying to protect soldiers from nuclear radiation on the battlefield. But IMHO the 5E rationale -- an experiment to create government super-soldiers -- fits modern public cynicism toward the government.

Actually' date=' Onslaught is in [i']Villains, Vandals, And Vermin[/i]. As a "light brick" with some martial arts training he would indeed make a good template for lower-powered super agents.

Thanks for the correction. I was sloppy and went by (fallable) memory.

I can certainly appreciate why you would see it that way' date=' and your point would be strong for the 4E version of the Project, trying to protect soldiers from nuclear radiation on the battlefield. But IMHO the 5E rationale -- an experiment to create government super-soldiers -- fits modern public cynicism toward the government.[/quote']

That's a valid point, but it's the aboveground nuclear testing that I get hung up on. But a radiation experiment to try to induce powers? Maybe; it's a bit Iron, and doesn't sound like something that would be routinely reproducable... Meh. De gustibus and all that, I suppose.

There is a little something extra in the GM's vault in CU that could potentaly throw a monkey wrench in cyberline. just caught it last night...

mark

Actually, I'm taking that fully into account, as that has been the situation with Cyberline since the 4E eBook. That bit, quite honestly, opens up the potential for Cyberline even more: assume that the Cyberline "source materials" have been improved by adding "more of the same, only different", if you catch my meaning.