Dimension Lords

CourtFool

I am still forming the concept of this campaign in my head, but this is what I have so far. Constructive criticism welcomed.

Dimension Lords

Every dimension exists as a point in space of the Polyverse. Time within each dimension exists as a line in space. There are a finite number of these points, although, they are so numerous as to be nearly impossible to count. Every new thought an individual has in one of these dimensions, creates a new dimension where that thought becomes a reality. No one knows if there is limited space within the Polyverse so that new thoughts would stop creating new dimensions nor what would happen if this occurred.

The laws of physics are not universal and may change from dimension to dimension. However, there are laws that are universal. These are known as the Noble Truths. These are concepts such as Compassion, Justice, Honor. Each of these is ruled over by a king or queen who attempts to expand their realm's influence throughout the Polyverse. For each Noble Truth, there is its opposite, also ruled over by a king or queen. These rulers battle one another through their subjects throughout the Polyverse.

The PCs serve the Duke of Generosity who serves the Queen of Compassion. Their arch-enemy is the Arch-Duke of Indifference.

Re: Dimension Lords

I'm reminded now of the Garth Nix series "The Keys To The Kingdom" mixed with Amber :)

Possibly with some In Nomine words thrown in.

I like it. But I'm already biased against games that are formulaic rehashings of the same old, same old....

You may need to define new special effects for powers, as presumably you would be operating in dimensions where concepts affect each other and the players. I'd like to suggest a VPP with the limitation "application of concept" - it can be used for anything if the player makes it relevant to the concept they're representing, with bonuses the closer it is to the raw concept.

You may need to define new special effects for powers' date=' as presumably you would be operating in dimensions where concepts affect each other and the players.[/quote']

The PC's abilities are more specifically defined. They may serve the Queen of Compassion, but their powers may not be compassion related.

That is an interesting idea, though.

I like Polyverse personally. Sounds more interesting than Multiverse.

Mr Bennie's Gestalt book would be a useful sourcebook to help with creating characters out of concepts. As would Nobilis.

In fact this sounds like a really expanded idea on Nobilis, which I find cool.

I'd assume this might start out as fairly high powered and ramp up quickly from there?

Yeah, Multiverse felt over used. I started thinking Megaverse or Omniverse. Then I thought, it is multiple verses.

I will check out the Gestalt book. Thanks for the tip.

Yes, it will start out high powered. I am not sure if it will move from there. Maybe the PCs become 'landed' nobility themselves. With infinite universes, I hope to keep it fresh enough without having to dole out 'levels' to keep them interested.

I am still forming the concept of this campaign in my head, but this is what I have so far. Constructive criticism welcomed.

Dimension Lords

Every dimension exists as a point in space of the Polyverse. Time within each dimension exists as a line in space. There are a finite number of these points, although, they are so numerous as to be nearly impossible to count. Every new thought an individual has in one of these dimensions, creates a new dimension where that thought becomes a reality.

Every thought? Even passing thoughts, vague wanderings of the mind?

Then the Archduchess of Nudity is one of the most powerful nobles. But still way behind the King of "Uhhh". ;)

No one knows if there is limited space within the Polyverse so that new thoughts would stop creating new dimensions nor what would happen if this occurred.

The laws of physics are not universal and may change from dimension to dimension. However, there are laws that are universal. These are known as the Noble Truths. These are concepts such as Compassion, Justice, Honor. Each of these is ruled over by a king or queen who attempts to expand their realm's influence throughout the Polyverse. For each Noble Truth, there is its opposite, also ruled over by a king or queen. These rulers battle one another through their subjects throughout the Polyverse.

The PCs serve the Duke of Generosity who serves the Queen of Compassion. Their arch-enemy is the Arch-Duke of Indifference.

Multiverse is better, you won't be mixing Latin and Greek.

The concept of thought creating dimensions reminds me of how Gestalt handled this. They were called Fantasyscapes in that book, and there were even some examples complete with effects that would happen to characters within one.

Can these "thought" created dimensions “wink-out” or are they always permanent?

Perhaps a fleeting thought might create a momentary dimension that, without continuous and/or substantial supplementation, burns out like the flaring tip of a struck match (maybe taking others with it?)... While the more significant thoughts/dimensions, buoyed by the constant contemplations of billions throughout time and space, have become as permanent as is possible. Some places are more “real” and “stable” because they are based on universal contemplations.

This might cut down a bit on the “unlimited/limited dimensional existence” problem.

I too can see some serious parallels to Amber… But it is different enough to exist as… it’s own thought. :)

Session II - Kazicorp

The Duke of Generosity sends the PCs to dimension 3134741 (a cyberpunk world) to prevent the megacorporation Kazicorp from distributing a highly addictive drug to Kazicorp employees. While there, the PCs see the recently slain Baron of Rancour.

The PCs' last mission was to kill the Baron. The PCs may not figure this out, but the Baron in dimension 3134741 is a clone. The Baron will know that he opposes the PCs, but will not know that the PCs recently killed him in another dimension.

One of the PCs is somewhat like an android and made a point about following directions in the last game. I hope to challenge that player by suggesting (most likely the Baron himself pointing it out) that killing the Baron is not their current objective. I am curious to see how singleminded the player wants to play his character.

Furthermore, I should like to dig a little into the character's motivations. I have been given very little back story from the characters, so I hope to have the Baron question their loyalty to the Duke of Generosity. One of the characters has some villain in his background, so that should be easy enough to use. I may tempt the android with a chance to feel what it is like to be 'human'.

And of course the primary objective is to prevent the distribution of the drug. The drug is not in manufacturing yet. Kazicorp only has the formula which they have imprinted pieces of (ala Johnny Mneumonic) into four different people's heads. All four employees have 24 hour body guards and should anything happen to one of them, the other three will be locked down.

This might cut down a bit on the “unlimited/limited dimensional existence” problem.

I was thinking they were permanent. I do not really have a problem with nearly unlimited number of dimensions. I am not going to map them all out.

As the PCs become more powerful, they may become 'protectors' of certain dimensions: becoming landed nobles. These would probably be the dimensions I like to take them back to time and again.

I was thinking they were permanent. I do not really have a problem with nearly unlimited number of dimensions. I am not going to map them all out.

As the PCs become more powerful, they may become 'protectors' of certain dimensions: becoming landed nobles. These would probably be the dimensions I like to take them back to time and again.

The only problem I can see with such unlimited and equal options is character motivation. Why bother doing anything when, with but a fleeting thought, I can create a universe exactly as I wish it?

The only problem I can see with such unlimited and equal options is character motivation. Why bother doing anything when' date=' with but a fleeting thought, I can create a universe exactly as I wish it?[/quote']

You could do the same thing as an Amberite, but it was in Amber that the real power was. It would be like playing on a holodeck instead of the real world.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...