Microtransaction (Cryptic Bucks) Info Up

Pattern Ghost

Cryptic finally made a substantial comment on the issue:

Update 7/22: Bill Roper interview on TTH. Haven't read it yet, it went up today: http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/71536

http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=23349

Inserting quote:

I know everyone has questions about microtransactions – what are they, how much are they, etc. I’m sorry we didn’t post something earlier; we’re really heads down in development right now. We’re going to release a WHOLE lot of information in the very near future about not just about microtransactions, but pricing in general. That said, here’s some basic principles about microtransactions to at least answer some of your concerns:

1) Microtransactions enable us to have a larger development team

2) Microtransactions are mostly aesthetic (costume pieces, pets, etc.)

3) If a microtransaction does have any sort of in game effect, then it can be also be earned in game.

I promise we'll read this thread, note any questions, and answer them more in depth soon. Heck, I'll try to answer the easy ones today/tomorrow/this week.

Update:

The new State of the Game has more on them:

http://www.champions-online.com/node/92892

The Skinny on Micro-transactions

Champions Online will support micro-transactions, but contrary to the concerns of some people, the game is not ‘based’ on them. There are the basic tenets for our micro-transactions:

* The vast majority are aesthetic items, such as costume pieces, action figures, emblems, etc.

* A very few are account-level management tools, such as being able to rename a character

* Micro-transactions should never limit your ability to enjoy the game or reach the level cap

* Any micro-transaction that has a game effect can also be earned in the game through play

Also, it’s important to note that the overwhelming majority of micro-transactions are account-wide. This means if you buy a costume piece or an action figure, every character on your account gets it.

Finally, many of the pre-order programs that we’re finalizing now have cryptic points associated with them. This is a way for us to allow our players to choose their own pre-order reward(s) which falls into our whole customization concept for Champions Online.

Re: Microtransaction (Cryptic Bucks) Info Up

A big turn off for me - they said mostly cosmetic, and I would be find with that... but if there are any, and I mean any, in game effects that can be purchased with microtransactions you immediately have the "guy with the deep pockets gets the more powerful X" - one of the reasons I stopped playing CCGs and related games.

I have never played MMOs, and I don't generally like to play online with people, so I have been on the fence about CO. This news pushes me further to the "nope" side of the fence.

I will wait and see however - It all depends on how it works on the 360 - my computer doesn't have the minimum specs to run it on PC.

I'm in wait and see mode as well. Kind of dampens my enthusiasm a bit' date=' but if it means a lower monthly, then I could get on board with that.[/quote']

I'll be surprised if mtransactions lead to a cheaper monthly rate.

A big turn off for me - they said mostly cosmetic, and I would be find with that... but if there are any, and I mean any, in game effects that can be purchased with microtransactions you immediately have the "guy with the deep pockets gets the more powerful X" - one of the reasons I stopped playing CCGs and related games.

I have never played MMOs, and I don't generally like to play online with people, so I have been on the fence about CO. This news pushes me further to the "nope" side of the fence.

I will wait and see however - It all depends on how it works on the 360 - my computer doesn't have the minimum specs to run it on PC.

My guess is that very few if any of the microtransactions will be more than cosmetic bits, such as some costumes and such.

I'll be surprised if mtransactions lead to a cheaper monthly rate.

It's hard to say 'cheaper' when you don't have a baseline. In the end, a game needs to produce a certain level of profits to be worth putting new resources into. Thus, if a game produces extra revenues from microtransactions, it doesn't need to as much money from subscriptions to be successful.

It's hard to say 'cheaper' when you don't have a baseline. In the end' date=' a game needs to produce a certain level of profits to be worth putting new resources into. Thus, if a game produces extra revenues from microtransactions, it doesn't need to as much money from subscriptions to be successful.[/quote']

I think in this context -- at least the way I was using the word -- "cheaper" means "cheaper than games without microtransactions systems" or "cheaper than the industry standard." In other words: Less than the usual 15 bucks a month base price most MMOs charge.

For example, Free Realms is a Sony game that's free to download and play, but you get more content if you subscribe for five bucks a month, and you can use Station "Bucks" (not sure what they're called) to buy more stuff with microtransactions. (And to be clear, this is very much not the model Cryptic is going for. Just an example.)

Anyway, until they release pricing info, that's all speculative. I'm sure if there's any impact on the monthly fee, it'll be dependent on projected sales from the store, which will be partly dependent on how extensive said store is.

Wow look at the paranoia here. Look, Cryptic is just doing the same thing they did in City of Heroes. They have been doing microtransactions there for Costume piece updates. A few of them have included a minor buff item, but nothing that is so powerful that "everyone" must have it. Other items included a Character Rename Service, Extra Character slots, and Server Transfers.

I doubt that you will see Cryptic selling special ubar powers or special lootz or even game currency.

In City of Heroes they used the money they recieved from the Costume upgrade packs to pay for more Free costume pieces and for rewrites of old zones that were not used often by the current server population. Also it allowed them to develop the costume change emotes (animations that triggered when you changed costumes). That is a technology that first appeared in the Magic Costume upgrade pack, but was recently rolled out to the rest of the community (with new non magical emotes). I understand it also helped fund he new upgrade that will allow power colors and other power customization.

So this is a good thing. BTW all of the packs were $10 each so they aren't every expensive. They even allowed folk to purchase stuff that was only available in their special "Collectors editions" of the game.

tasha

Well' date=' there's a lot less paranoia over here than on the CO boards. I'm getting mostly a "wait and see" vibe here, as opposed to the frothing at the mouth going on over there. :D[/quote']

That's one reason that I don't post over there anymore. That and a sense of not mattering :D

Tasha

If you need to see a game with microtransactions in place, try Puzzle Pirates' Dubaloon Oceans. You don't need to pay to play, but accessing some of the content requires Dubaloons, which is a secondary form of currency on those oceans. (They're the ones with green color names.) It doesn't restrict you to playing, really, but eventually you'll want that brig, which requires buying a Badge with the dubaloons.

It's a different way of using transactions, but it's a viable method of generating currency at your own rate of progression. (The Suscriber Oceans--blue names--are still worth playing, as the orignal Midnight is still quite lively.)

If you need to see a game with microtransactions in place, try Puzzle Pirates' Dubaloon Oceans. You don't need to pay to play, but accessing some of the content requires Dubaloons, which is a secondary form of currency on those oceans. (They're the ones with green color names.) It doesn't restrict you to playing, really, but eventually you'll want that brig, which requires buying a Badge with the dubaloons.

It's a different way of using transactions, but it's a viable method of generating currency at your own rate of progression. (The Suscriber Oceans--blue names--are still worth playing, as the orignal Midnight is still quite lively.)

My point is that different games use Microtransactions differently. Cryptic's history is that of using them to add Costumes and other "fluff" to the game that they couldn't otherwise afford to fund the development of.

In Free to play games Microtransactions are the revenue stream that keeps the servers open so they tend to sell cool stuff that you could play without, but make the game far easier if you do buy them.

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t get why some people freak out about microtranactions. I mean, even games without them have people over in Asia farming in game resources and selling them for real money online. I don’t think things actually released by the company are going to be any worse than that is in many games.

True - illegal microtransactions already destroy game balance in many MMOs, it doesn't really make much difference if the official source does or does not sell balance destroying objects.

This particular setting is even less PK than most so it shouldn't be too big an issue.

Honestly Microtransactions don't bother me a bit. It's not that I'm rich and can afford anything, it's that I just don't care. I don't care if someone else buys an uber-destory-the-planet-with-one-shot power for $10. It doesn't effect my game at all. I don't PvP because I'm horrible at it, and I'm horrible at it because I just don't care. I don't go searching for the 1337 loot in MMO's I just do the things I think are fun, and if I get something cool along the way yay me! I just don't care how other people spend their time in game. I don't care if they level faster because they spent more money, or have better gear. As long as their aren't harassing anyone or directly effecting someone else's ability to enjoy the game, meh so what?