Jupiter Impact!!?!

Nyrath

Re: Jupiter Impact!!?!

I wouldn't be too worried about an asteroid hitting Jupiter; with its massive gravity, it eats asteroids for breakfast. Hell, that's the whole point of its existence; if we didn't have the gas giant in our outer system, Earth would be bombarded with meteors, asteroids, etc. on far more regular basis and the impact that took out the dinosaurs would look like a pebble compared to the rocks that could've otherwise hit us.

Large black spot suddenly appeared on Jupiter. They think it is from an asteroid impact.

Try not to think about the movie 2010.

http://jupiter.samba.org/jupiter-impact.html

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2009/07/19/new-black-spot-on-jupiter/

Reminds one of Shoemaker-Levy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoemaker_Levy

THe movie 2010 is so funny with it's inaccurate special effects. I just giggled though the whole stupid trailer, when it showed before Harry Potter.

Though an Asteroid hit on Jupiter is very cool. You know that it's our system's hoover for stray matter :D

THe movie 2010 is so funny with it's inaccurate special effects. I just giggled though the whole stupid trailer, when it showed before Harry Potter.

Though an Asteroid hit on Jupiter is very cool. You know that it's our system's hoover for stray matter :D

. . . You're not thinking about 2012, Roland Emmerich's latest opus? 2010 was the sequel to 2001: A Space Oddysey.

Anyway, I know for a fact that the Europans are experimenting with a planet-killing mass driver gun, and is using the Red Spot as target!

It's a good thing they can't see to aim squat.

THe movie 2010 is so funny with it's inaccurate special effects. I just giggled though the whole stupid trailer' date=' when it showed before Harry Potter.[/quote']

Like Marcus said, I was trying to make a reference to the sequel to 2001:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086837/

At the end of that movie the astronauts orbiting Io notice a mysterious black spot has suddenly appeared on the face of Jupiter. Hilarity ensues.

I'd be more concerned on how the heat from Jupiter would impact the asteroid belt

I wouldn't be too worried about an asteroid hitting Jupiter; with its massive gravity' date=' it eats asteroids for breakfast. Hell, that's the whole point of its existence; if we didn't have the gas giant in our outer system, Earth would be bombarded with meteors, asteroids, etc. on far more regular basis and the impact that took out the dinosaurs would look like a pebble compared to the rocks that could've otherwise hit us.[/quote']

That isn't what I said, the heat from Jupiter would start to create outgassing from any of the more icy asteroids and they'll start more impacts in the belt. I know Jupiter has been hit before, the Shoemaker impact is proof of that.

. . . You're not thinking about 2012, Roland Emmerich's latest opus? 2010 was the sequel to 2001: A Space Oddysey.

:angst:

I fear for Hollywood when they let that hack make any more movies.

Just to name a few, here are the horrible things that Emmerich is responsible for giving us:

10,000 BC

The Day After Tomorrow

Godzilla (1998)

The Patriot

Independence Day

I say kill it before it can make any more.

Sorry for derailing the thread, but it had to be said.

Independence Day wasn't that bad.

Only if you're willing to ignore the major flaw in the core premise of the story.

If the aliens are able to travel interstellar distances they should be easily able to move multiple small asteroids from their orbits and drop them on our cities. This is likely less energy intensive as their beam weapons & shields as well.

Fight over unless the aliens are just plain dumb (like the ones in Footfall).

:angst:

I fear for Hollywood when they let that hack make any more movies.

Just to name a few, here are the horrible things that Emmerich is responsible for giving us:

10,000 BC

The Day After Tomorrow

Godzilla (1998)

The Patriot

Independence Day

I say kill it before it can make any more.

Sorry for derailing the thread, but it had to be said.

I actually liked GINO and ID4, but as for the rest I have to agree with you.

Only if you're willing to ignore the major flaw in the core premise of the story.

If the aliens are able to travel interstellar distances they should be easily able to move multiple small asteroids from their orbits and drop them on our cities.

Ah, it is worse than that.

The aliens were after our mineral resources.

Resources that are far more readily available in asteroids, than they are buried under Earth's surface at the bottom of a gravity well.

So why bother invading us in the first place.

Resources that are far more readily available in asteroids, than they are buried under Earth's surface at the bottom of a gravity well.

Maybe they thought it would make for a fun weekend...? :rolleyes:

Pre-emptive strike: kill/subjugate us now, before we develop the ability to go out after them. Especially since we could possibly detect them operating out there; if not now, soon.

And we did threat their scouts rather poorly...

And we did threat their scouts rather poorly...

Us: No we didn't!

Them: You vivisected them.

Us: Well, yes, but it was in the name of science! Besides, you turned our cows inside out!

Them: Oh, that was Gary's fault. He's new.

Gary: Sorry about that. My bad.