Confedrate Comics

LWhitehead

Hi Confedrate Comics is the official comics of my Bronze Age setting in 1976 America devided between CSA and USA, I need help with the setting and developing CSA heroes as well.

For example Blacks (please don't be mad at me for not using the PC term also I'm not racist but I must be true to however CSA treat there dark skin people).

Now Blacks in the CSA has to carry passbooks to tell who they are and were they live, like in South Africa when the Whites ran things.

Southern Cross is my version of Iron Man he is Black and has to hide this fact from the public,

LW

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Confedrate Comics

Wow, there is a lot of room here for CSA "heroes." Chattle Master using his mighty energy whip and impenetrable shackles to bring evil doers and escaped slaves to justice. The Darkie, by day Aryan playboy by night, detective who roams the segregated cities looking for some boy to step out of line.

Okay, before I go off on a tangent of what might be considered by a modern confederate nation I guess I would like more detail on what the two nations are like. Politics, history, common values all these things play into what a cultural hero may be. Are heroes of the CSA heroes of more modern values who fight against the system or do they serve the greater good and country? This is really a broad question and setting concept you've presented I would really like more details.

Now just for fun here's this:

One of my ongoing projects has been the development of a "Confederate

World"-type superteam, whose members have motifs and names that are

inspired in part by either the Civil War or by things associated with the

South. While I don't have stats for any of these folks yet, here's a few

of the ideas that I'm working on:

Bootlegger: teen super-speedster whose major 'power stunt' is a stunt

called the "Bootlegger Reverse", in which he suckers an enemy speedster

into chasing him -- while he himself is running backwards at super-speed --

before rapidly stopping and running back the way he came, leaving his

victim to run smack dab into whatever obstacle he was being lured into.

Grey Ghost: female super with powers of intangibility (Desolidification)

and limited flight (only while Desolid), as well as an excellent set of in-

vestigative skills.

Merrimac: male high-tech wonder who wears a heavily-modified suit

of undersea deep-diving armor (shoulder-mounted plasma cannon and

missile launcher, propulsion system for underwater operations, hover-

jets in the boots for ground movement) to fight crime.

Stonewall: male super with flight, super-strength, and extraordinary

resistance to damage (whether energy or physical in nature)*

*In spite of his name, Stonewall is not a Thing-type brick; he's more of

the strong-jawed Superman type.

I've considered rounding out the group by adding Rebel Yell (from GURPS

Supers; converted over to HERO) and Rebelette to the lineup. The main

drawback to using Rebelette, though, is that there's no existing writeup

for her anywhere. Said writeup would have to be based on what can be

inferred from the artwork featuring her on the Rebelette website.

Major Tom 2009 :cool:

Staguh Lee: Legendary black outlaw who ignores the restrictive laws of the south.

Dixie Bell: Heroine with sonic powers.

The Fox: Terrorist/Guerilla leader. Gimmick Archer Where Lee ignores the law, Fox tries to overthrow it.

The Blue Streak: Former race car driver turned speedster.

Lone Star

Red Wolf (Native to Texas)

Copperhead: The Southern Copperhead mostly nests around the Gulf of Mexico.

Marie Laveau "The Witchqueen". Her daughter had the same name and occupation so she could have founded a dynasty of voodoo practitioners.

Hurricane

Crimson Cavalier

Longhorn

Fireball

One should avoid making all the names directly about the Confederacy.

Merrimac: male high-tech wonder who wears a heavily-modified suit of undersea deep-diving armor (shoulder-mounted plasma cannon and missile launcher' date=' propulsion system for underwater operations, hover- jets in the boots for ground movement) to fight crime.[/quote']

Historical note: The USS Merrimac wasn't what the CSA called that vessel when they turned it into an ironclad. When it was refitted by the Confederacy, it was recommissioned as the CSS Virginia. It would most widely have been known to history by that name had the South succeeded in its bid for seccession. A Confederate hero calling himself Merrimac would be as incongruous as a Union hero calling himself Captain Confederacy. I think an alternate name is in order. It's too bad Virginia does not evoke "ironclad warship" as well as Merrimac does.

Historical note: The USS Merrimac wasn't what the CSA called that vessel when they turned it into an ironclad. When it was refitted by the Confederacy' date=' it was recommissioned as the CSS Virginia. It would most widely have been known to history by that name had the South succeeded in its bid for seccession. A Confederate hero calling himself Merrimac would be as incongruous as a Union hero calling himself Captain Confederacy. I think an alternate name is in order. It's too bad Virginia does not evoke "ironclad warship" as well as Merrimac does.

dang! you beat me to it.

Well to be honest I find the setting kinda a raciest indulgence but lets be objective. In such a setting not much would change sure ill grant the non-whites would need papers to be on the streets. But then women still would not be able to vote. The northern free slaves would form an organized crime ring for personnel protection this crime ring would spread like wild fire in the south and a silent war would be born then comes the riots countless white people would be killed for no good reason this would prompt the army to round up all the non-whites that can be found and first camp then execute them. After the tragic events died down all of America would be plagued with hit and run tactics the economy would fail mostly due to the fact that the bulk labor force was killed or striking different locations making them worthless and non productive ect. In the end America would polarize more than it already is..........sounds like bad 80's bronze age setting but I guess you can make it a golden age style setting and indulge more deep seeded feeling and make it a setting about how your southern heroes are fighting the good fight and replace nazi's with black people hay its your game.

By the way I have family in south Africa.

O and I'm black

so what will be your next setting what if Germany won the war and killed off all those pesky Jews <---for me just as hurtful but again it is your game

It is a bit of a risky setting and it does require one to handle it responsibly and find a good middle ground. Look at some things about South African apartheid and the south in the '50s and '60s. It sounds like so far your setting isn't to over the top. They aren't selling black people. It really just sounds like 1950s Southern America, only now it is its own country and the Jim Crow laws are more or less federal laws. Obviously you don't have to make it as realistic as possible (i.e. no using the n-word for the love of sponge) but I think you've got it fairly well done.

Well to be honest I find the setting kinda a raciest indulgence but lets be objective. In such a setting not much would change sure ill grant the non-whites would need papers to be on the streets. But then women still would not be able to vote. The northern free slaves would form an organized crime ring for personnel protection this crime ring would spread like wild fire in the south and a silent war would be born then comes the riots countless white people would be killed for no good reason this would prompt the army to round up all the non-whites that can be found and first camp then execute them. After the tragic events died down all of America would be plagued with hit and run tactics the economy would fail mostly due to the fact that the bulk labor force was killed or striking different locations making them worthless and non productive ect. In the end America would polarize more than it already is..........sounds like bad 80's bronze age setting but I guess you can make it a golden age style setting and indulge more deep seeded feeling and make it a setting about how your southern heroes are fighting the good fight and replace nazi's with black people hay its your game.

O and I'm black

so what will be your next setting what if Germany won the war and killed off all those pesky Jews <---for me just as hurtful but again it is your game

Really? REALLY? This was unnecessary and uncalled for. And a terrible excuse too.

Really? REALLY? This was unnecessary and uncalled for. And a terrible excuse too.

I thought about ayindie's post as well but I think it has a valid point. The initial post offers little guidance of the scope and nature of the heroes and only the smallest information on the setting. The setting is designed to get peoples attention for good or ill, ayindie's post is an emotional reaction to a vary dark time in their family's history.

As they has been no further posts from LWhitehead it seems all answers are valid. Personally I think it may be time to drop this thread until they post again otherwise we're just buying into flamebait.

Odraude <-- yeah REALLY when you single out one group and justify it under you breath as well that was just a part of history and its over now it applies to every sub-group that has had a grievance in the past. And if you look in history you will find countless examples.

That said lets drop the topic or if you want to explore this sort of setting do so with a more mindful representation then the common one found in pulp. Did the industrial revelation have any notable effect on the south. Are there more black sailer types in this setting (this was the most common trade in Negro colleges), did the south expand to full us control did they conker more land? In your setting was there even a world war 2 and did America side with or appose the axis is America a true confederacy. Did all states rule in favor of slaves. As you can see there is a lot to this setting there is no reason to think it would go to any of the common extremes media loves to create maybe a surf culture come to fruit in the us. The first post struck me as just an excuse to bother people (it worked it bothered me) assuming that wasn't the case id love to hear what you had in mind.

The thing is we know almost nothing about the setting except there is a Confederate States of America which has a been a popular idea for alternate universe practically sense the civil war. I think the flying off and assuming the OP was trying to play out some racist fantasy is jumping the gun. He may well have been or just trolling but we don't know enough to slam the guy. For the record, I'm black and I think it could very well be an interesting setting if handled well.

O and I'm black

I think this harsh even as a black woman. All we know about this setting is that the Civil war didn't go down like it did in our world. In a world with supers that's pretty likely (if they were around at the time) but regardless of that we don't if it's racist fantasy (the Southern position will be presented as laudable and better) or its just a fictional universe with a different history. You slapping some pretty offensive labels on some one just for writing fiction and asking for help naming some CSA supers. Sure the topic is contraversial and could be flamebait...but its just as likely to just be a setting. It's not like its the "The South "won" the civil war" alternate universe.