Altered POO

Some ideas on messing about with points of origin and indirect to provide a little more detail in concept realisation (I've been walking the dog again, and, no, that is not some bizarre euphemism). Thoughts?

Altered Point of Origin

+1/4 you can define a point of origin for your power when you buy the power. This POO will not be in contact with you (you can always define a POO from any body part for free)

+1/2 you can define a point of origin for your power whenever you use the power. This can be up to base points of the power in metres. The range of the attack is measured from the attacker or the POO, whichever is greater. A GM might require a separate roll to hit to place a POO very precisely. This is considered part of the same attack action. A failed roll prevents you attacking that phase. A GM should always warn a player when a roll to place the POO is needed.

An altered POO can not be formed through a hardened barrier.

Altered Vector

+1/4 you can define the direction your power is emitted from the point of origin when you use it. Normally a power is emitted directly away from the attacker, whether the POO is in contact with their body or not. With this power modifier, the player can define a direction for the attack e.g. it could be at right angles to the line between the attacker and their POO, or even straight back toward the attacker. Combined with Altered POO, this allows the attacker to control KB direction.

Circumventing

+1/4 to +1/2 Circumventing – A circumventing attack ignores non-personal barriers that have or lack a particular quality, for example a gas attack might ignore barriers that are not airtight, an electrical attack might ignore conductive barriers. If the barrier ignored is not common then the advantage is +1/4. if it is common then the advantage is +1/2.

Extended Life

+1/4 your power lasts an extra phase

+1/2 your power lasts a full turn

+3/4 your power lasts a full minute

Note that an attack can travel up to its full range in a phase, and so this power modifier effectively increases the maximum range of an attack, as well as having interesting synergies with ‘indirect’ (below)

Indirect

+1/4 Programmable – you can define a path for your attack at the time of using the power

+1/2 Controllable – you can control the path of your attack after launch

+1/2 Seeking – the attack can be set to autonomously attack a target without control. You can not re-define a target or stop a seeking attack once launched. Once a seeking attack reaches a target it will attack each phase it remains in existence at the OCV on launch, until it hits, is ‘blinded’ (see below), or intercepted. A seeking attack is considered to be in a hex adjacent to the hex the target was in on the last attack attempt until it hits, and has an effective DCV equal to OCV. Any successful hit on a seeking attack (including a block or missile deflection) is considered to intercept it, which causes the attack to fail. For an extra +1/4 a seeking attack can be made Unstable, which means that the attack goes off if stopped before hitting the target, which can make stopping it with HtH attacks or blocks problematic (and stopping unstable seeking AoE attacks can also cause problems)

+3/4 Controllable and Seeking – obvious really. Can also be made Unstable for a total +1.

NB seeking attacks are considered to have a single targeting sense: Detect (3 points) Defined Target and you can add to that at the half the normal cost. It is considered to use the simulated sense (Sight) rule, but you can use a different sense if you like (for example you might use scent and add ‘targeting’ as that sense is not normally targeting). If the targeting sense is ‘blinded’ the attack fails.

Radiating

-1/4 Radiating – the AoE radiates from the point of impact and anyone with a barrier between them and the point of impact gains the protection of that barrier

Re: Altered POO

First thought: That's a really unfortunate abbreviation. Hopefully that one statement will be the extent of the discussion on that front.

Second thought: If a +1/4 Advantage represents the ability to define the Power's Point Of Origin when it's bought, then what's the default case?

I've been walking the dog again' date=' and, no, that is not some bizarre euphemism. Thoughts? [/quote']

I think it's only natural that when walking the dog, one thinks about poo. And I agree it's not a bizarre euphemism; 'poo' is a pretty common term for a dog's mess.

Leftover Haggis?

You are thinking of Alibear :) I'm a good 400 miles away from the nearest wild haggis*.

I knew I shouldn't have gone with my baser instincts and plumped for the cheap laugh: oh well :)

As ghost-angel mentioned, the point of the +1/4 altered point of origin was that you could have it off your body surface to, for instance, circumvent your own personal force wall.

I know it is a lot more complex than the 'indirect' PM we have at present but I think it covers a lot of specific situations and allows some interesting constructs.

It also (and this was pretty incidental but seemed to follow from the general train of thought) covers a form of 'seeking' attack. Generally, to make it worthwhile, you'd want to buy 'extended life' (got to be a better name for it than that, but that is all that came to mind at the time) to have your attack stick around longer. You can also, using that advantage, and programmable or controlled indirect, create several missiles over several phases and have them all attack at once.

I'm sure it is obvious but the difference between APOO and Indirect is that the former starts the attack run at a specific point, the second starts at the normal point of origin but does not then go in a straight line. Also APOO can be stopped by hardened defences but indirect can not.

An example of that:

Your opponent is standing behind a 2m square hardened wall. You can not draw a 'line of sight' to the other side of the wall with APOO (although if you also had altered vector you could form a POO above the wall and fire directly down). Indirect can just go round the wall. Indirect can not get through an englobing barrier (without blasting through) whereas APOO can (assuming it is not hardened).

I reckon that a combination of APOO and NND (or whatever 6e will call it) and possible IPE, could be used to create an attack that formed inside an opponent. Point singularity, anyone?

It may be too much, but I'm increasingly seeing this level of detail as something that might be appropriate for the APG, where very precise concept realisation is important.

*Interesting thiong about haggis is that their legs are longer on one side of their body than the other as they live on hillsides and always circle the hill in the same direction. Put them on a flat surface, or just turn them round, and they fall over.

I know it is a lot more complex than the 'indirect' PM we have at present but I think it covers a lot of specific situations and allows some interesting constructs.

[snip]

It may be too much, but I'm increasingly seeing this level of detail as something that might be appropriate for the APG, where very precise concept realisation is important.

Having given the idea some reflection, I was about to post pretty much the same words. :thumbup:

*Interesting thiong about haggis is that their legs are longer on one side of their body than the other as they live on hillsides and always circle the hill in the same direction. Put them on a flat surface, or just turn them round, and they fall over.

I was thinking off setting up a free range haggis farm but could never find the right gradient of hill for them to roam on.

So maybe I just need another cup of coffee here to get my brain running, but humor me for a moment. I am intrigued with the Seeking and Extended Life idea for powers; there are any number of movies where the hero has to cleverly evade heat seeking missiles or somesuch.

But that seems like only half the solution. How do you build the rest of that power? Extended Life seems kind of like Continuous, but the latter really isn't applicable. How long does it take the power to connect with the target? Also, how different is Circumventing from Indirect with a special modifier to represent a specific kind of barrier? (I think probably I need to go review Indirect which would answer some of these questions).

The only time I ever designed anything like this, I built the attack with a Delayed Effect and some custom limitations (time delay related to distance from the target, attack can be blocked or "confused", automatically fails after 1 turn, etc.). It worked okay, though a bit clunky.

They say Hero can build anything:

Mexican Curry: Naked Advantage: Altered Vector (+1/4) for up to 3 Active Points of Digestive system (1 Active Points); 1 Charge which Never Recovers (-4), Extra Time (20 Minutes, -2 1/2), No Conscious Control (Only Effects cannot be controlled; -1) 3 Active, 1 Real

I assumed having a digestive system was 3 points because LS: Never eats is 3 points :)

What?