So Now Your the Sorcerer Supreme

The Arc

Re: So Now Your the Sorcerer Supreme

....[He] is still getting the hang of being a mage, let alone an archmage and forget sorceror supreme.....

"I was worried from the moment the doctor told me he'd be out of the office for two days. I mean, I'm not even on salary, just here to network his computers, migrate his files to the new Vista machine, y'know? I know you're asking, Vista? Well, he's a sorceror supreme and Guardian of the Earh Dimension, not a techie."

"But he's also a great-grandfather, and he's 250 years old, and he needs his downtime, so we hooked him up with a cellphone, and his manservant drove him down to the ferry docks and caught a plane back home to Greenland. Then I get this call from the island. He slipped on a patch of ice and wrenched his back, and he basically can't even move or do magic whatnot for a week. Well, first it was a week and a sore back. Now it's H1N1, and his lungs sound really bad. Three weeks, the doctor says now, and at least 24 hours before he's coherent again."

"Quite the coincidence, there, too. Something else big is happening in 24 hours according to some demonlord calling over this crystal orb thing. He's holding the colour blue hostage and will destroy it in 24 hours unless I turn over Cancer, Gemini and Ares?"

"WTF? I got 24 hours to respond. Turns out we're not unprepared. There's a Notepad document on the hard drive called 'Sorceror Supreming For Dummies.' Ha ha. I'm dying here. Like the rest of the dimension. So I gotta orb of watchamacallit, a cloak or something, an amulet. A magic ....writing desk? Honestly, it's like a thrift store in here."

"Steve, I know you're busy, got surgery in an hour, probably, but you owe me from college, and I've never seen a guy with fingers as flexible as you. And don't ask me why that's important, it just is. Please, help me out here.

"Help the dimension out."

BEEP

Ah yes the 'Clarinet' incident...

If you are building a Sorcerer Supreme perhaps you should look into certain disadvantages. For example, Owing a favour to Divine/Infernal being makes it impossible to use all your magic unless the favor is returned. This is so the Sorcerer's magic can not be used to help such a being in destroying or harming this world.

2nd, using a certain type of magic that is addictive (Maybe Evil, maybe summoning, maybe Soul Ripping etc) Will result in you losing all your powers and a new Sorcerer will have to be found, Like Dr Strange when he used Dark Magic and became addicted to it, he realized he was no longer worthy of being Sorcerer Supreme and had to find a succesor.

3rd. Every time you are not in your home dimension (Personal dimensions and the Astral probably doesn't count but I think the Negative Zone would count), you attract the attention of that Dimension's Sorcerer Supreme who will try and make you leave the world. Away from your home dimension for long enough and you begin to lose your powers. This is why you should always have a back up sorcerer in case you can't make it back.

Any other disadvantages people can think off?

I don't see it as a disadvantage. Who would treat you badly? "Hey, he's Sorcerer Supreme, he could blow up the continent with a gesture. Let's bully him!" I'm surprised the good Doctor doesn't get more parades for his work.

Any fear would be a benefit in Per Rolls against villains who knew what he could do (or his reputation suggested he could do)

Are you sure? Joe Blow the Mystic might say, "Hey Baalspit! It's the Sorcerer Supreme! Let's creame his punk ass!" or Joe Blow the Mystic might say "Hey Baalspit! It's the Sorcerer Supreme! Lets' tranmeditate out of this dimension!" or maybe Conquer the Conquerer of Infinite Infinities wants to take a bite out of the Sorcerer Supreme because that is how Conquer the Conquerer of Infinite Infinities rolls.

BTW-For those DC fanatics, I'm really confused, would the DC SS please stand up. Is it Doc Fate, or Spectre, or is the Phantom Stranger?

It's murky. Dr. Fate probably wields more mystical power than any living human sorcerer, but it's granted by an artifact he wears rather than coming from training or natural talent. The Spectre is, depending on which story one reads, a former demon, a fallen archangel, or the Wrath of God incarnate bound to a dead human soul, and has almost limitless power that somehow ends up being nerfed in most stories. The Phantom Stranger seems to have less overt power than either, but more knowledge or better sources of information.

In any event, DC really never made an issue of a formal title the way Marvel has.

At first I was extremely dubious of Brother Voodoo being a candidate for Marvel's Sorcerer Supreme position, as his power set seemed to consist of fire walking and handling snakes. But as the story bore out it seems he was selected for purity of spirit rather than skill or raw power, and it was at least implied that he's being backed up by the power of the Ancient One (Dr. Strange's predecessor) so that he's not completely outclassed by mystical villains who can do more than card tricks.

The Phantom Stranger's powerset is deliberately obscure; in general, the powers he's "allowed" to use are directly proportional to the mystic power level of the threat. So against normal humans who are pulling Scooby-Doo hoaxes, all he has is "teleport when nobody's looking" and "not actually dead." Against more powerful types, he can pull out mystic blasts, cages and such. But he prefers telling someone else just enough information to get them to fight the menace instead.

The Sorceror Supreme concept is a Marvel one that doesn't apply to DC.

True... DC has a cabal of magical entities that watch over the mystical side of things called the Quintessence; a group of cosmic beings who counsel one another, including the Wizard Shazam, Zeus, Highfather, The Phantom Stranger, and Ganthet.

Re: the position of Sorcerer Supreme being a disad. It strikes me that it would like being known as the best gunfighter: you'd have lesser sorcerers trying to take you out for either bragging rights or because they reckon they could fill your shoes.

Yah, its Afro Samurai and the "Number One" all over again. :thumbup:

Re: the position of Sorcerer Supreme being a disad. It strikes me that it would like being known as the best gunfighter: you'd have lesser sorcerers trying to take you out for either bragging rights or because they reckon they could fill your shoes.

And of course all the Dormammu knockoffs are going to come knocking at your door first under the impression that you are all that stands between them and adding the Earth to their extradimensional empire.