Hero Podcast: What Would You Like To Hear?

Darren Watts

Re: Hero Podcast: What Would You Like To Hear?

Theme Song: I always thought there was a Hero theme song:

[bonnie Tyler]I need a hero

I'm holding out for a hero 'till the morning light

He's gotta be sure

And it's gotta be strong

And he's gotta have Faster Than Light[/bonnie Tyler]

A local band did a 'remake' of the entire Footloose soundtrack, including that song, I'm sure I could convince them(I work with one of them) to allow the song to be used.

Link to the version on Imeem: http://www.imeem.com/people/l0c1AAl/music/1yUiIPIM/vote-quimby-holding-out-for-a-hero/

Please do not run gaming sessions. Major Spoilers created "Critical Hit" to cover their D&D 4E game, and I am bored by it.

I'd love to see power creation to meet challenges. Say maybe examples like tessuracting someone's heart directly into a nearby star, and allowing a colocated bit of the star take its place in that person's chest, with all of the wonderful AOE side effects that much heat and gravity concentrated could have. It wouldn't just be RFK 20d6, it would be MESSY MATH!

Ahem. Sorry, huge colocation fan. Been hooked ever since White Wolf's Mage 2E, and fun with reality concepts keep coming up.

I would also love to hear some of the behind the scenes work on projects and status updates. Perhaps y'all could discuss some of the problems encountered with Ultimate Base and how y'all came up with solutions, or more examples for converting 5E concepts into 6E (still going over Empyrean template changes to 6E and wondering about the changes to their ED/PD, easier when my hardcopy arrives than with the PDFs).

Also tell us where y'all will be to meet fans, how y'all are doing, and anything neat Cryptic tells ya.

You do realize that the forums have an RSS feed set up' date=' right?[/quote']

I think he was referring to Dan's resistance to an RSS feed for the weekly news updates on the Hero Games home page.

Back on the thread topic, I think this would be a great idea and I think it needs to be hosted by someone other than Steve and Darren. Don't get me wrong, I would want them on the podcast frequently if not every time. But I think having the perspective of a fan outside the company would be better, even if the host is more like an anchor who just introduces independently-produced segments from others.

As for features or segments, I definitely support the idea of a "how to build X" discussion. That might even be a fun topic to handle as a roundtable discussion (if possible). As we know, there are often multiple ways in Hero System to build the same (or similar) effect. Ask the question and then let Darren, Steve, and perhaps the host give their suggestions.

I think he was referring to Dan's resistance to an RSS feed for the weekly news updates on the Hero Games home page.

Ah. That isn't a dislike of RSS in general. That is a disagreement about the type of things for which it is appropriate.

Back on the thread topic, I think this would be a great idea and I think it needs to be hosted by someone other than Steve and Darren. Don't get me wrong, I would want them on the podcast frequently if not every time. But I think having the perspective of a fan outside the company would be better, even if the host is more like an anchor who just introduces independently-produced segments from others.

As for features or segments, I definitely support the idea of a "how to build X" discussion. That might even be a fun topic to handle as a roundtable discussion (if possible). As we know, there are often multiple ways in Hero System to build the same (or similar) effect. Ask the question and then let Darren, Steve, and perhaps the host give their suggestions.

While I agree that a fan hosted Hero podcast would have a different perspective than an in house hosted one, I'd say those are two different animals. Both would have a useful perspective.

it needs to be hosted by someone other than Steve and Darren .... having the perspective of a fan outside the company would be better' date=' [/quote']

While a neat idea, I agree with Archermoo: two different things, and a Hero Games podcast by Steve and Darren would be just fine. (Maybe better than a fan creation, imo.)

OTOH the round table idea was quite cool, and I liked the idea of podcasting announcements or maybe interviews "live" from various cons.

While a neat idea, I agree with Archermoo: two different things, and a Hero Games podcast by Steve and Darren would be just fine. (Maybe better than a fan creation, imo.)

OTOH the round table idea was quite cool, and I liked the idea of podcasting announcements or maybe interviews "live" from various cons.

That would be a neat feature, and if we did this I think we'd want to take advantage of the rare occasions Hero's staff assembles in one place; February could be Live From Dundracon, June Live From Origins and August Live From Gencon. Heck, March or April could be Live From GAMA and give Steve a month off, while that show's features would likely be more industry and marketing oriented (and more likely to have special guest stars, like Hero licensees or something.) dw

Some heads up on the pocasting front on my end.

I did find a great mic ,a Blue Microphones Snowball and I got my self a Behringer XENYX 502 Mixer. I got the mixer so I could do interviews and at some point record a live game. I know that not every one wants that, but enough folks seem to want to know how others play and its a popular thing to do right now.

The down side for right now, the mixer does not have Phantom power for the mic, so I either have to find a phantom power supply or get the 802 Behringer mixer. I am thinking of the later, but its 50ish dollars I dont have right now.

I have a back up mic thats not bad, but I wanted something with a better range. Ehh, sometimes ya just gotta work with what you got.

I am hoping I can sell the 502 mixer and recover at least some of my money back, which so far is not much. The mic was a gift and mixer I got pretty cheap.

I got Podcasting Station at a going out of business sale, and I like it so far as an editing tool and general recorder.

The actual computer I am using is a kuldge of old systems donated from my gaming group, but I dont need a top of the line computer. It does the job. I did get a decent sound card and I am not using the onboard sound so I can get at least some signal separation and I am not getting a lot of hum. Its there, but barely noticeable.

As for the actual podcast, I chucked the old and am starting over. I hated to throw away about two weeks of work, but I just didnt like it and frankly I am thinking this is a audition tape so to speak. What I mean is, if this podcast goes off well, I can do more podcast and get some interviews with Hero Games staff and other folks of interest.

The new podcast is a review of the 6th vol one and two and some worldbuilding ideas.

I hope to have it up by the weekend, but Its a busy week here.

Wish me luck:thumbup::)

I think this sounds like a great idea and I'd make the commitment to listen to a monthly Pod-Cast. I think, however, that anything more often than monthly would be too much. Half hour to Hour sounds just fine with maybe a few specials thrown in for good measure.

I know it has been said before but I'd like to echo the idea of End of Pod Cast Build requests. You could make this a major marketing tool for the Pod Cast. Put out a request for builds. Each Pod Cast you Announce who's request you are putting out there for that month at the end of the show. Then people submit their build ideas via the HERO Boards. At the beginning of the next show you announce who the HERO Staff has selected as presenting the best build for the challenge. This idea gets people interested in hearing the show so that they can know what is going on and gives them some kind of pay off (announcing who won) for being HEROphiles. Just a thought.

Listening to a game sounds kind of boring to me. If perhaps someone has a very charismatic voice and personality they could do a re-cap of things. It would be kind of like listening to someone recant their old war stories or campfire tales. No rules, no Behind the scenes, just the who, what, when, where, how in a fun and entertaining presentation.

La Rose.

As a stylistic suggestion, I would definitely recommend that the podcast be audially engaging.

Avoid sounding like a newscast.

Have an opening theme (as others have suggested), and I would suggest having a brief introductory theme before any recurring segments to create a routine, conditioned sort of sound.

I also just thought that it could be engaging to have a "Marvel letters to Stan" atmosphere.

Midnight Syndicate has given me permission to use 15-30 seconds of thier music as bumper cues.

Lots of work going into this podcast. I am going to record my gaming sessions but I am using them for another broadcast of some sort.

• 3 weeks later...

I think it might be fun for the hosts of the podcast to each bring a few "Hero Games Discussions Forums" posts of the week to talk about...these posts could be on anything that grabbed the hosts interest.

This does two things...it brings the community into the podcast, and it draws the podcast audience into the discussion boards.

I've seen this done on other podcasts that I listen to and it works very well.

Tim