A Storeowner's First Impression

scottgambit

Re: A Storeowner's First Impression

Two possibilities come to mind.

1) Encourage the HERO System books to be displayed at the counter, to encourage the customer to ask the shop assistant about it.

2) Publish a free "Introduction to the HERO System" pamplet/booklet to be made available to anyone who shows any interest.

obviously, it would be possible to do both

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you sort of have a point. I can't imagine being able to play D&D with out the Monster Manual' date=' but you can play hero with out even knowing the Beastiary exists. [/quote']

I've played every version of Champions/Hero that has been released. Up until 5e I never purchased anything except the core rules book (counting Champions II and Champions III as core rules books). So yeah, you can easily play Hero without anything except the rules.

Good for you. Oh' date=' and maybe you should see an optometrist about those rolling eyes of yours; I'm sure they have some kind of corrective surgery for that these days.[/quote']

No call for that. If you don't put an emoticon something that is otherwise innocuous can be read as antagonistic.

Bad art is worse than no art :)

Snark + ignoring the actual point = not a constructive part of the conversation.

EDIT: That response may have been overly harsh. I know you were trying to make a joke, which is fine. But making a joke and ignoring the point made makes the statement seem dismissive at best.

Pimp your rules! Slipcovers, guys: £10 for 4 nice glossy good quality ones: a superhero theme, a fantasy theme, a pulp theme and a space theme. Other packs available, to buy. A few free handouts for store owners who can then dress the product in the way most likely to appeal to their customers, or display the whole range, including the blue and gold, taking no chances that any potential customer will get away.

In fact the very fact that one game CAN have so many very different covers should tell a potential customer something about it! More than any other game, Hero SHOULD be able to address most of the different needs of different people. There'll still be some, of course, but that is why we now have Possession in the APG.

:)I tend to stick emoticons everywhere these days as innocuous comments :) I've made (in my own inimitable style) have been misinterpreted as being nastiness . I generally stick to the base :) smilie :) because I never really did get when the others might :) or might not cause an unwanted and unwarranted response. :o

:)

To be honest it doesn't come naturally: I prefer to just write stuff - generally if someone wants to be snarky the presence of emoticons is not going to cover for that :).

Did you know there's a limit to how many of these things :) you can have in one post?

:)i tend to stick emoticons everywhere these days as innocuous comments :) i've made (in my own inimitable style) have been misinterpreted as being nastiness . I generally stick to the base :) smilie :) because i never really did get when the others might :) or might not cause an unwanted and unwarranted response. :o

to be honest it doesn't come naturally: I prefer to just write stuff - generally if someone wants to be snarky the presence of emoticons is not going to cover for that :).

Did you know there's a limit to how many of these things :) you can have in one post?

10? (Since I can't add another)

Snark + ignoring the actual point = not a constructive part of the conversation.

EDIT: That response may have been overly harsh. I know you were trying to make a joke, which is fine. But making a joke and ignoring the point made makes the statement seem dismissive at best.

I wasn't trying to make a joke I was agreeing with your point!

Sheesh! I'm out of here. I antagonise people even when I am agreeing with them. Whats the bloody emoticon for that? :hush:

I wasn't trying to make a joke I was agreeing with your point!

I got that: Gurps Supers - at least the copy I had had truly sucky artwork, and were it not for the fact that, at one time, I collected rule systems, I'd never have bought it. GSupers has a number of good points, but the packaging was definitely off-putting.

:)i tend to stick emoticons everywhere these days as innocuous comments :) i've made (in my own inimitable style) have been misinterpreted as being nastiness . I generally stick to the base :) smilie because i never really did get when the others might :) or might not cause an unwanted and unwarranted response. :o

to be honest it doesn't come naturally: I prefer to just write stuff - generally if someone wants to be snarky the presence of emoticons is not going to cover for that :).

10? (Since I can't add another)

There might be a trick to that :)

My point was that cover art was less important than content. By bashing the cover art of the books I was naming you seemed to be undermining the point. "Of course their art didn't sway you more than Hero's cover, their art sucked! Even the lack of art in Hero is better than that." was how I took the statement, when my point was fancy cover art didn't factor into my decision at all. Sorry that I misread your intent.

Pimp your rules! Slipcovers, guys: £10 for 4 nice glossy good quality ones: a superhero theme, a fantasy theme, a pulp theme and a space theme. Other packs available, to buy. A few free handouts for store owners who can then dress the product in the way most likely to appeal to their customers, or display the whole range, including the blue and gold, taking no chances that any potential customer will get away.

In fact the very fact that one game CAN have so many very different covers should tell a potential customer something about it! More than any other game, Hero SHOULD be able to address most of the different needs of different people. There'll still be some, of course, but that is why we now have Possession in the APG.

I'm with Sean here! Though I think it would be important that each of those covers have a very distinctive common element so that it is obvious they are all in the same product line (e.g. the big hex man overlaid in the same place and standing out strongly). It may create a bit of customer confusion, people thinking they are getting something different from what their neighbor/friend/GM/guy-in-front-of-them-in-line got. Perhaps the books standing on the shelf, and a small display box in front of them with the covers for the advertisement so you can pick the slip cover of your choice and bring it to the counter with your book? :)

I'm with Sean here! Though I think it would be important that each of those covers have a very distinctive common element so that it is obvious they are all in the same product line (e.g. the big hex man overlaid in the same place and standing out strongly). It may create a bit of customer confusion' date=' people thinking they are getting something different from what their neighbor/friend/GM/guy-in-front-of-them-in-line got. Perhaps the books standing on the shelf, and a small display box in front of them with the covers for the advertisement so you can pick the slip cover of your choice and bring it to the counter with your book? [/quote']

Absolutely - we need the common element, but that should be easy enough to achieve: we have HexMan (even though we no longer have hexes....hmmmmm....), and he could feature on each cover: a bunch of superheroes trying, telekinetically, to get him through a door, a bunch of warriors and wizards trying to get him through a portcullis, a group of spacemen and aliens trying to get him through an airlock, and Doc Silver, wonderbra'd wonder of the wild west sawing his arms and legs off to get him onto a stagecoach.

We could even have little stick on speech bubbles for the blue and gold, to make HexMan talk

"Aarrgh! I've been nailed to a hex"

"Aarrgh! I've got cramp!"

"Aarrgh! Tilt me more if you want to get me through that!"

"Aarrgh! Thank you, Doc Silver! That was wonderful! What are you doing with that saw?"

Boy, those things would sell like hot cakes.

Absolutely - we need the common element, but that should be easy enough to achieve: we have HexMan (even though we no longer have hexes....hmmmmm....), and he could feature on each cover: a bunch of superheroes trying, telekinetically, to get him through a door, a bunch of warriors and wizards trying to get him through a portcullis, a group of spacemen and aliens trying to get him through an airlock, and Doc Silver, wonderbra'd wonder of the wild west sawing his arms and legs off to get him onto a stagecoach.

We could even have little stick on speech bubbles for the blue and gold, to make HexMan talk

"Aarrgh! I've been nailed to a hex"

"Aarrgh! I've got cramp!"

"Aarrgh! Tilt me more if you want to get me through that!"

"Aarrgh! Thank you, Doc Silver! That was wonderful! What are you doing with that saw?"

Boy, those things would sell like hot cakes.

I don't think "Hero is a hexagonal peg and a poor fit for whatever square and or round holes you have" is the message we want to send.

Lucius Alexander

Vitruvian palindromedary

No call for that. If you don't put an emoticon something that is otherwise innocuous can be read as antagonistic.

Eye-rolling is not humorous; it's generally antagonistic when aimed at a person. If you want to indicate a 'ha ha me so funny' intent, rather than a 'whatever, you incredulous, contemptuous, boring, frustrating, and / or exasperating person' you might want to avoid using the rolling-eyes emoticon.

Eye-rolling is not humorous; it's generally antagonistic when aimed at a person. If you want to indicate a 'ha ha me so funny' intent' date=' rather than a 'what[i']ever[/i], you incredulous, contemptuous, boring, frustrating, and / or exasperating person' you might want to avoid using the rolling-eyes emoticon.

Carrying on a disagreement beyond the point where it could quite easily be forgotten, in fact revving it up by seeking out and referencing internet 'evidence' when it has clearly been stated that was not the intention may be regarded as extremely unhelpful.

Perhaps we shouldn't have an eye rolling smilie? Then no one would be tempted to use it.

I don't think "Hero is a hexagonal peg and a poor fit for whatever square and or round holes you have" is the message we want to send.

Lucius Alexander

Vitruvian palindromedary

You're missing the point: Doc Silver is using a toolkit to make him fit the hole.

Carrying on a disagreement beyond the point where it could quite easily be forgotten, in fact revving it up by seeking out and referencing internet 'evidence' when it has clearly been stated that was not the intention may be regarded as extremely unhelpful.

Jagged a friend of yours, I take it? I notice you're his only one at any rate.

More to the point, regard it as you like; the statement stands.

Perhaps we shouldn't have an eye rolling smilie? Then no one would be tempted to use it.

Take it up with the moderators.