Eh?

Sean Waters

Re: Eh?

Out of all the crazy illustrations in the book, that's the one that makes you go "eh?"

If you're wondering why the woman standing in the open airlock door does not appear to be discommoded by explosive decompression despite her obviously unprotected face and head, the most likely explanation appears to be that it's not a human female but a humaniform robot or android of some type capable of surviving such rapid extreme changes of pressure.

As for what it's doing there, it would appear that the spaceship has been infiltrated by enemies who have already incapacitated the Human crew, or are attempting to do so, by means of the gas they have introduced into the atmospheric recirculation system. It has disconnected the hose they comandeered for that purpose and is venting it out the airlock. That a few tools and other objects are being swept out as well is understandable in light of the circumstances. Its sidearm is drawn because the invaders are about to violently object to its interferance and it is preparing for a confrontation that will surely prove terminal for one side or the other. I am confident that this marvel of Human technology will prove more than a match for whatever space pirates or other starfaring scum hatched this nefarious plot against heroic space explorers.

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary Enterprises can neither confirm nor deny that this beautiful piece of equipment is derived from a standard model 75/75 Fembot with Space Crew package of hardware and software, nor that there is any connection to the ongoing Interdimensional Babes project.

My mind obviously works differently to everyone else's: I was not so worried about the atmospheric considerations, because whatever she is in, some sort of vehicle, probably, isn't necessarily in space, it could just be adark outside. oh no, if ONLY that was what had gone through my head...

To me she looks, at first glance, as if she is repelling boarders/shooting at another ship through a port using some sort of high tech material but low tech operation cannon apparently attached to her space suit at about crotch height.

I know, I know, a more careful analysis of the picture shows that the pipe that is, er, discharging into space (or at least 'night') runs behind her, but that certainly isn't the first thing I thought.

Nosireebob.

I thought 'I bet watching that being loaded would be diverting'.

Powder! Wadding! Cannon ball! Rammmer!

BOOM!

My mind obviously works differently to everyone else's: I was not so worried about the atmospheric considerations, because whatever she is in, some sort of vehicle, probably, isn't necessarily in space, it could just be adark outside. oh no, if ONLY that was what had gone through my head...

To me she looks, at first glance, as if she is repelling boarders/shooting at another ship through a port using some sort of high tech material but low tech operation cannon apparently attached to her space suit at about crotch height.

Or some sort of projection-launching apparatus that is projecting something fluid... apparently my mind is occasionally associating in strange ways as well.:doi:

Surely, a candidate for America's Funniest Space Videos, 2139 AD edition.

I'll also point out that she's attached to a safety line. So... if she's going to bail out' date=' she'd better unhook first.[/quote']I'm not sure that the line is attached to her; to my eye it looks like it's connected to the visible external bulkhead.

In any event, with the level of decompression going on (as suggested by the flying ammo and other small metal objects on the floor) I'd have to assume that she's a regen, and can breathe (or, more accurately, withstand not being able to breathe) in near-vacuum.

In any event, yeah, making her escape and leaving her enemies to their doom.

Okay, you made me go look again. To me it looks like the line is attached to her.

And if it were NOT, why is she not flying out the door like everything else that's not nailed down?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks everyone's overlooking the really weird stuff in this picture, which is in the shadows.

In any event' date=' with the level of decompression going on (as suggested by the flying ammo and other small metal objects on the floor) I'd have to assume that she's a regen, and can breathe (or, more accurately, withstand not being able to breathe) in near-vacuum.[/quote']

It's probably not near-vacuum, considering the amount of stuff still blowing around. Further information on explosive decompression can be found here.

Okay, you made me go look again. To me it looks like the line is attached to her.

And if it were NOT, why is she not flying out the door like everything else that's not nailed down?

She paid 20 points for the Perk "Script Immunity."

Okay' date=' you made me go look again. To me it looks like the line is attached to her.[/quote']You could be right. I'm going by the orientation of the loop to which the line is attached -- it's more in line with the wall than the woman's belt.
A decent question, to which I do not have an answer that satisfies even the most speculative part of my mind (except maybe to chalk it up to the same kind of science that has nearly every car that goes over a cliff exploding into flames on impact).

for me I see a tethered female guarding a hose that is expelling something

I'd say they are not in space as the outside has no stars just debris getting sucked out

so the tether is to guard against the slipstream or just to not fall out the hatchway

the hose looks to be flexible and is not being bent by any movement so I'd say she is just high up enough the want to be secured vs a fall

That stuff isn't necessarily flying out in the airflow; maybe the plane (or whatever) just hit some turbulence or something.

What I'm getting from this pic is that venting stuff from that hose is very important, for reasons not clear in this picture, and she's braving both the hazards of rough flight with the door open AND possible enemy interference to accomplish it.

What is happening? She is on an airship and has the hatch opened so that she can vent the gas coming out of that tube so that it interferes with the ships behind them (either messing up their sensors, or blocking sensor locks on them). She has a gun drawn to her side because she has been double crossed by a spy, hence her shocked and angry expression. The reason why tons of other things are flying out is because they were caught of gaurd and this was a last minute deal.

La Rose.