Firearms template

drsid

If I am understanding things correctly, firearms would be built using the blast power or the RKA power with an obvious accessible focus limitation (-1). So, these would be the base for all firearms and the only variance would be the amount of damage of the firearms, measured by the number of points of its blast or RKA.

Now, is there any particular advantage to using RKA or Blast for firearms? It seems, to me, that RKA is a better option for firearms, but wanted to clarify.

I plan on making the following firearms categories, each of which will have 2-3 specific weapon choices in each category. The only real difference between the categories will be the amount of damage done; then, the number of charges (capacity), concealability, etc. will differentiate each specific weapon from the other.

Light Pistols

Heavy Pistols

SMG's

Assault Rifles

Hunting Rifles

Sniper Rifles

Light Machine Guns

Heavy Machine Guns

Light Assault Cannons

Heavy Assault Cannons

Re: Firearms template

Some examples from the "Here There Be Monsters" campaign setting: http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/77481-Urban-Fantasy-Setting-Here-There-Be-Monsters?p=1955893#post1955893

Colt .45 M1911 (GI issue): Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6-1 (25 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum 9-13 (STR Min. Cannot Add/Subtract Damage; -1), Beam (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4), 4 clips of 8 Charges (-0)

Powers Cost: 7

Barret 95 .50 Caliber Rifle: Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6+1, Armor Piercing (+1/4), +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/4) (75 Active Points); STR Minimum 19+ (STR Min. Cannot Add/Subtract Damage; -1 1/2), OAF (-1), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Side Effects, Always Occurs (Extremely Loud; -1/2), Beam (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4), Not Usable In Confined Spaces (-1/4), 8 clips of 6 Charges (-0)

Powers Cost: 14

Most traditional Firearms are modeled as RKAs, because their purpose is usually to kill, rather than disable or incapacitate.

Blast can be used to simulate non-lethal ammunition, or weapons which are primarily intended to disable rather than kill.

I suppose you could also model firearms with Blast if you wanted to avoid lethality, but "blasters" were inappropriate.

If I am understanding things correctly' date=' firearms would be built using the blast power or the RKA power with an obvious accessible focus limitation (-1). So, these would be the base for all firearms and the only variance would be the amount of damage of the firearms, measured by the number of points of its blast or RKA.[/quote']

Beam and Real Weapon are also two Limitations that form the base of Firearms.

As others have pointed out, RKA is usually used since firearms tend to kill, and RKAs tend to cause Body Damage faster than Blasts.

Assuming that we are talking about a Heroic Campaign (as opposed to Super Heroes), don't forget "Requires a STR Min" 6E2 has a great article on Creating weapons on pgs 198-210. (That's Sixth Edition Book 2)

I tend to build Tasers as Blast, NND (Defense is insulated clothing/armor.) An EMP gun would probably be a Change Environment.

You would use (relatively) unmodified Blast to represent rubber bullets and the such. They don't rip through you, but you're taking some really painful impact damage.

Thanks for the feedback. I am slowly working my way through the books, (they are sooo thick), so I have only glanced at the second volume. I apologize if I my questions are answered in the latter volume or later in the books; I tend to ask questions as I read through the book and as they come to me, oitherwise I forget. Heck, I still find myself going back to the characteristics just recall what each one does as its referenced in the powers section. Seriously, after this, I expect Steve Long to send me a certificate of completion or something.

The campaign will be heroic, not superheroic.

@Tasha - nice signature by the way. *grin*

Don't forget all the ways to differentiate between different firearms (and classes of firearms). Inherent OCV bonuses represent those firearms that are extremely accurate. Range modifiers are highly appropriate for rifles, especially sniper rifles. Various advantages (and limitations) can apply depending on the type of gun and specific ammunition used;

Incindiary rounds: (+1 Stun multiplier, Heat/fire SFX)

Armor Piercing rounds: (duh)

Buckshot (AoE-1 Hex and Reduced Penetrating)

Tracer rounds: (+1 OCV, +1 Rmod)

Make sure to loosely base the damage on the type of round the weapon fires. For example, in general .45ACP should do more damage than 9mm. 7.62 should do more damage than 5.56. .50 should just about trump all of them.

My standard firearms template for Kazei 5 was as follows: RKA xd6; Beam, Charges, OAF, Real Weapon, STR Minimum (-1/4).

For various reasons, mostly due to the high;y cinematic nature of the setting, I used a flat -1/4 on STR Min.

It might be worth noting that some of the weapons listed in 6E2 seem to have been built using Damage Differentiation (APG 56).

That particular chart might be useful when designing new weapons as well, allowing for more granularity between different ammunition and calibers.