Tools / Assistance for New GMs

Hey everybody! I'm relatively new to the Hero System -- I played in a short Champions (4th ed. I think) campaign back around 1994 -- and I'm trying to run a weekly Fantasy Hero (low fantasy) campaign for a group of 5 players, most of whom have never played the system.

I started preparing for the campaign by reading all of the 6th Edition books from cover to cover (Character Creation, Combat & Adventuring, and Advanced Players Guide); so, I have at least a passing familiarity with all of the rules, but in-depth knowledge of relatively few of them.

To get the campaign started, we spent a couple of game sessions creating the characters and then running them through a few "scenarios" to get a feel for the game mechanics (a couple of "mock" combats, over-coming obstacles / cliff-climbing, social interraction / information gathering, and stealth activities -- the stuff that will come into play in most fantasy campaigns).

The campaign has been running for a couple of weeks now, and there are a few problems I'd like to figure out how to address:

1) Combat seems to run slowly. It's not so much that it takes a long time for each individual to act, it just seems to take a long time for the fights to end. It may be that the PCs don't have enough DCs in their attacks, or that the NPCs have too much rPD/rED...I tried to use the guidelines I found of about 2-3 points of defense per DC in the average attack. The PCs average about 5 or 6 DCs in their attacks (max is 9), and the NPCs they've been battling typically have 9(6) PD(rPD). Is this too much? Are there any other "tricks" to speeding up combat?

2) I typically work 45-60 hours / week, so I have relatively little time to prepare for my weekly game sessions. I've found that having to create full character sheets for "throw-away" NPCs too time-consuming, so I'm trying to find a "stripped down" character sheet suitable for such NPCs, but I haven't had too much luck.

I'm looking for any tools I can find that can help with creating and managing a stable of NPCs, as well as tips to streamline the actual running of the game. Any help / advice that can be provided will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

C.

Re: Tools / Assistance for New GMs

1) I can think of one issue with the DC vs DEF relation: if the PCs are mainly using Killing Damage weapons, there might be a difference, since 1 DC Killing does an average of 2 STUN only, which makes the targets' CON and STUN matter much more if the DC vs DEF are close. This is if you're not using the Hit Location rules (those rules increase the average STUN to about 3 per DC K).

If you're using Hit Locations, there is a suggestion in the rules on doubling the Hit Location damage modifiers of weapons if they don't seem deadly enough, though that will obviously make things very dangerous for PCs as well.

Apart from adjusting damage or defenses, a close enough match might make special tactics and Maneuvers very important for ending fights, which might also be worth examining.

2) Resources: Read the product reviews for Fantasy Hero products; even if those are for 5th Edition, most NPCs should work almost exactly the same except for costs.

There are also links on the Hero Games page to, for example, Susano's, Killer Shrike's, Ghost Archer's, and other sites with bountiful excellent writeups for several genres; you can also find some interesting Hero Combat analysis examples on Killer Shrike's site (and I'm probably forgetting to mention several other resources) :)

In general, anything you find for 5th Edition works perfectly well as cannon fodder, and requires only minor adjustments if you want to cost out the stats. If you use a 5th Ed pre-built character your player will never be able to tell the difference, as the Combat and Skill Rules are almost unchanged. 6E1 (6th Edition Book 1), page 20-21, lists all the changes between 5th and 6th Editions.

Hero Designer is also very useful if you are pressed for time, and signing up for the single-user contract with 2-years worth of updates is a very good deal; you then also get the ability to freely download pregenerated characters (and equipment as well as other prefabs) from the Vault, and can buy the HD character packs instead of books if you just want some stats. HD also supports both 5th and 6th Edition, as well as pdf export as of now.

Basically, HD allows you to select loads of packages that you just click to add to a character, and then print out as needed.

Now, you will likely get several more, possibly much better suggestions, from others here.

Welcome aboard. :)

There are also links on the Hero Games page to' date=' for example, Susano's, Killer Shrike's, Ghost Archer's, and other sites with bountiful excellent writeups for several genres; you can also find some interesting Hero Combat analysis examples on Killer Shrike's site (and I'm probably forgetting to mention several other resources) :)[/quote']

My website: http://surbrook.devermore.net/index/

Hey everybody! I'm relatively new to the Hero System -- I played in a short Champions (4th ed. I think) campaign back around 1994 -- and I'm trying to run a weekly Fantasy Hero (low fantasy) campaign for a group of 5 players, most of whom have never played the system.

I started preparing for the campaign by reading all of the 6th Edition books from cover to cover (Character Creation, Combat & Adventuring, and Advanced Players Guide); so, I have at least a passing familiarity with all of the rules, but in-depth knowledge of relatively few of them.

Well, it sounds like you are definitely on the right track. Are you getting hung up on any rules in particular? Are there times during combat where you have to stop and look stuff up? Do you have a GM screen or ready access to the right tables? Do the characters understand their options or are they having to look up tables and have maneuvers explained to them?

Basically, what I'm asking is how much (if any) of the slowness is due to inexperience with the system? Because there are things we can suggest to speed that up a bit.

The campaign has been running for a couple of weeks now, and there are a few problems I'd like to figure out how to address:

1) Combat seems to run slowly. It's not so much that it takes a long time for each individual to act, it just seems to take a long time for the fights to end. It may be that the PCs don't have enough DCs in their attacks, or that the NPCs have too much rPD/rED...I tried to use the guidelines I found of about 2-3 points of defense per DC in the average attack. The PCs average about 5 or 6 DCs in their attacks (max is 9), and the NPCs they've been battling typically have 9(6) PD(rPD). Is this too much? Are there any other "tricks" to speeding up combat?

The first question is: Are you using Hit Locations and Sectional Defense? In Champions, SuperHeroes are always considered to have all their defenses equally distributed about their person. It's the genre. However, in FH or even Dark Champions it's fairly normal to have characters who are only wearing armour on certain locations. If you are wearing the proverbial chainmail bikini you are in for a world of hurt...unless you have truly monumental assets.

Hit Locations can slow down determining damage. It's an extra die roll, and then doing some minor math on the resulting damage roll. But if you have the appropriate Sectional Defense chart filled in it's not much slower than SuperHero/Single Value Defense. Sectional Defense means that at times the character will take a hit to an unarmoured/lightly armoured location and LOTS of damage will get through. The value range for Hit Locations (if you take a look at the table) are geared so that the torso (the largest single area of the body) has the broadest range. So most hits will land there, where most people will have the most armour.

Having said that, when you explain this to the players, there will probably be a tendency for the walking tin-can syndrome. The Full Plate of our AD&D days. Keep in mind that lots of armour impacts DEX rolls and movement rates, as well as Endurance consumption.

2) I typically work 45-60 hours / week, so I have relatively little time to prepare for my weekly game sessions. I've found that having to create full character sheets for "throw-away" NPCs too time-consuming, so I'm trying to find a "stripped down" character sheet suitable for such NPCs, but I haven't had too much luck.

I'm looking for any tools I can find that can help with creating and managing a stable of NPCs, as well as tips to streamline the actual running of the game. Any help / advice that can be provided will be greatly appreciated.

Hero Designer is your friend and a godsend. You can, even without prefabs, build a character in a very short amount of time. You will also get access to the vault which contains a lot of pre-built characters.

The 5th Edition FH books will be useful. There isn't that big of a difference between 5th and 6th to make them unusable. They might require a little tweaking on costs, but on villains and adversaries, you don't really care about point totals anyway.

Oh, which reminds me. For you average cannon-fodder level mook:

1) Build a generic. I've got a 'Generic Guard' build that I use regularly. I might change his weapon or his hair colour and uniform and language, but he's the same guy time after time.

2) Don't worry about skills. For the most part, they are going to be ground under the wheels of the combat machine, so it doesn't matter if each guard has an occupation or a love of plant lore. BreakFall might be appropriate for some characters, but definitely skip any non-combat related skills.

3) Arms and Armour are expensive. As opposed to what D&D has led us to believe during the past 40 years, not everyone has ready access to a sword and suit of chainmail. A sword might represent the earning of a peasant for an entire YEAR. A suit of armour could be worth more than a lifetime's wages. It's easy enough for an adventurer to come up with the cash for weapons and armour, but if you are outfitting an entire guard force those costs are going to reach staggering proportions rather quickly. Guards will frequently be armed with pole arms and simple weapons (you think the weapon is expensive? Try getting 50 farm boys to be proficient with the weapon). Armour will mostly consist of leather or perhaps brigandine. It wouldn't even be surprising to find footmen without any armour at all. So it is very possible that you are over-armouring your adversaries. Give them an appropriate level of armour. Save the chainmail clad guards for the elites guarding the throne rooms!

4) Don't allow the adversaries to take Recoveries. This just lets them regain STUN and END and makes combat last longer.

5) If you are a farm boy with a spear and you are faced with a marauding band of heroes that have just decimated your squad you should run away. Don't get caught in the 'must fight to the death' rationale.

I hope this helps some, and welcome! :)

I'm looking for any tools I can find that can help with creating and managing a stable of NPCs, as well as tips to streamline the actual running of the game. Any help / advice that can be provided will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

C.

To speed up combat. I recommend limiting the amount of armor that the opposition has. In a 6DC game, your heroes will do on average 7 body per attack (assuming they are using Killing attack weapons). So your NPC that Have 6 rPD will bounce most of that body. So decreasing down to 3 defense (Hard Leather) will increase lethality. You can keep the total Def at 9 (but less would be better). Oh, this is the recommendation for your "Average" challenging combat. When they are facing the final bosses, it's ok to build the bad guys with defenses that are like the PCs (ie 4-7rPD/rED, 10total PD/ED) to give more challenge.

Also using Hit Locations will help esp since without it, stun mults are only 1/2d6 and will max at a x3 mult. Hit location gives stun mults from x1-x5 which will also tend to speed combat a bunch.

Another thing I like to do for mooks (Cannon Fodder) is to define them as "one average hit or 2 Average Hits" which means that their character sheet usually only has the bare basics. Total weak cannon fodder will go down on one average roll (ie 7body/21 stun for your DC 6 Game), Stronger Cannon Fodder will take the equivalent of 2 of those hits.

Also no NPCs get any recoveries for stun, the only exception being the most powerful badguys (ie the ones that I want to escape to be annoying another day). This means that once PCs get the baddies down they stay down. Also the players don't get into the habit of slitting throats and other non heroic things.

Another technique that I find that helps me during combat. I keep all of the character sheets stacked in order of DEX. I include both the PC and NPC character sheets in this pile. It works really well in Fantasy Hero where everyone is spd 3-4 and almost always go on the same segments. I also use Postit flags to color coat the sheets so I can tell quickly what are the PCs and NPCs in the stack.

In another group we had a rule that you had to figure out your action before your phase started. This was to prevent the player from fooling around between their action and then being indecisive during their phase. Some groups use an egg timer and rule that if the Player hasn't started the PC's actions before the egg timer goes off, then the PC loses that phase. I would only recommend the egg timer after the players have some experience with the rules/their characters and are still being slow during their PC's Phase.

2) to speed up Character gen I first recommend Hero Designer. It does a great job of saving you a ton of time. Also the character sheets are pretty nice.

Also, I only do complete writeups on characters that will appear more than once in the game, and even those sometimes aren't as full a write up as I do for a PC. I make sure that Equipment is listed, Spells, Levels and anything that will have an effect on combat. Also a basic skill list. For the master villians I try to have some Psychological Complications written up as this can also have an effect on combat. For run of the mill troops I have their CVs, Weapons, Armor perhaps a couple of skills (ie Stealth, Riding etc) but basically stick to what I need to run them in a combat. You may find that most mooks have basically the same writeup, with only minor variations due to species.

Oh, also Having the Bestiary helps a ton. The 5e version is available in the online store (or you can ebay a used copy) and would be good enough for quick and dirty writeups. Steve has started or will be starting work on the 6e version of it soon so you can also wait till it arrives.

Hope all of this helps,

Tasha

For combat I always liked the 3-4-5 method. If you roll any of these numbers' date=' unless that is the number you need to hit, then you roll a critical. A critical is considered maximum damge for the weapon.[/quote']

For Critical hits we always used the "Less than Half" rule. If you roll less than half of what you needed you crit.

2) Resources: Read the product reviews for Fantasy Hero products; even if those are for 5th Edition, most NPCs should work almost exactly the same except for costs.

There are also links on the Hero Games page to, for example, Susano's, Killer Shrike's, Ghost Archer's, and other sites with bountiful excellent writeups for several genres; you can also find some interesting Hero Combat analysis examples on Killer Shrike's site (and I'm probably forgetting to mention several other resources) :)

Hero Designer is also very useful if you are pressed for time, and signing up for the single-user contract with 2-years worth of updates is a very good deal; you then also get the ability to freely download pregenerated characters (and equipment as well as other prefabs) from the Vault, and can buy the HD character packs instead of books if you just want some stats. HD also supports both 5th and 6th Edition, as well as pdf export as of now.

Basically, HD allows you to select loads of packages that you just click to add to a character, and then print out as needed.

I've purchased a number of 5E products in PDF (if available) and softcover, including: Fantasy Hero, Ultimate Skill, Equipment Guide, Resource Kit, Book of Dragons, Ninja Hero, Valdorian Age, and the HS Beastiary. I have also purchased Hero Designer, but I had some difficulty with the setup (mainly because my PC downloaded it as a .zip instead of a .jar...once I figured that out, the installation was a snap). I've taken a quick look at it, but I'm a little confused with the points on the BASIC INFO tab...The helpfile mentions a "Base Points" field, and a "Max. Disads" field. The UI has a "Points" field, which I assume is the Base points...but the software seems to be have differently than described in the help file. Help indicates that Base Points are the "free" points you have to work with, so it'd be Base + Disads + Experience = total....But the software seems to be have as if the points field = Base + Disads, so it'd be Points + Experience = Total...I'll figure it out once I use it a bit more.

All good advice. For one of your problems I think Tasha and Rapier have the right idea. Your throwaway characters should not have full write-ups. One of the problems of approaching HERO for the first time is that you look at all the options and then feel the need to use them all and fill them in.

What you need to do is decide what you need an NPC to do and then give him the necessary stuff from the list. For a soldier you might need to know what weapons & armour he has, base CV, one or two skills he has above a base 11- roll, a name and one or two traits. If he is a mook - you do not need STUN, END & REC, just how many hits are needed to take him down. That is enough for a session. If you use him again, you might add more detail.

So get your basic NPC templates - use them over and over for game mechanics simply adding a skin for look and feel. That should allow you to focus your limited time for the interesting aspects of the game.

My take on this system is that I need to spend my initial GM time designing the things I want the players to focus on and getting my character sheets right (that means choosing the bits and pieces that will be on show during gameplay) and those sheets for NPCs are much more limited than for characters. The system is brilliant but when you start a game you want to do what you can to get it out of the way of the gameplay.

HERO's complexity is all in the character design - you get really structured information and most of that works even if it is not on display. With new players you do not want them getting distracted by the structure - you want them invested in the game. When everyone is enjoying the game there will be time enough to explore the game system detail.

Doc

If you're using Hit Locations, there is a suggestion in the rules on doubling the Hit Location damage modifiers of weapons if they don't seem deadly enough, though that will obviously make things very dangerous for PCs as well.

Apart from adjusting damage or defenses, a close enough match might make special tactics and Maneuvers very important for ending fights, which might also be worth examining.

We have been using the hit location rules. I have to admit, I've seen a LOT of arm and hand shots so far -- far more than the odds would predict. That said, I don't think bad luck has been the entirety of the problem.

In general, anything you find for 5th Edition works perfectly well as cannon fodder, and requires only minor adjustments if you want to cost out the stats. If you use a 5th Ed pre-built character your player will never be able to tell the difference, as the Combat and Skill Rules are almost unchanged. 6E1 (6th Edition Book 1), page 20-21, lists all the changes between 5th and 6th Editions.

I have purchased a number of 5E sources (PDFs when possible, otherwise softcover) includuing: Fantasy Hero, Ultimate Skill, Equipment Guide, Resource Kit, HS Beastiary, Ninja Hero, and the Book of Dragons. I have read Fantasy Hero and the Resource Kit. The others I have used mainly for reference.

Now, you will likely get several more, possibly much better suggestions, from others here.

Welcome aboard. :)

I have purchased HD, but until this week, I'd had problems installing it. I finally noticed that when I downloaded it, for some reason it downloaded as a .zip instead of a .jar. Once I figured that out, and changed the file extension, it installed without a hitch. A quick look at it, and the only thing I've had a problem with is that there appears to be a discrepancy between how the software works and how the help file says it works. Specifically, on the Basic Info tab - the "Points" and "Matching Complications" fields. The user guide indicates that there should be a "Base Points" field that represents the "free" points you get to build a character. The software seems to be behaving as if the "Points" field is the "total points" (including matching complications) that you get to work with.

For example, if I choose to create a "heroic" character, it defaults to 200 Points and 150 "Matching complications". If I look at the characteristics tab, it indicates that I've spent 0/200 points. If I go to the complications tab and buy a 10-point complication, then return to the characteristics tab, it still shows that I 've spent 0/200, not 0/210 (which is what I would have expected). Don't know if that's a bug, or I'm just confused on how it's supposed to work.

We are using hit locations (but not the rules on wounding and bleeding...yet). Let me tell you, I've never seen more shots to the arm in my life! But, I think the problem has been that my mooks have too much PD. This problem stemmed from an attitudinal problem on my part. I had been trying to treat HERO like every other (level-based) system I have every played or run. I thought of the characters as "low-level" characters rather than "heroes". Consequently, I felt that as low-level characters, a "standard normal" with a weapon would be a credible threat. To enable them to stand up to the PCs, any NPC in a combat role would have Combat Luck (3rPD/3rED) - just like the PCs did. I had something of an epiphany about this after the last gaming session and have decided to scale things back a bit. After all, the PCs are supposed to be heroes...the average NPC is not.

When I read the 6E books, I noticed that many of the changes were relatively minor; and, since 6E Fantasy HERO wasn't due out until August (GenCon, I believe), I have picked up a number of 5E resources including: Fantasy HERO, Ultimate Skill, Ninja HERO, HS Equipment Guide, HS Resource Kit, Valdorian Age, and the Book of Dragons. I've read Fantasy HERO cover-to-cover, the others I've mainly used for reference. The only real problem I've run into is the difference between 6E's description of Stealth v. Concealment and that provided in Ultimate Skill. For the time being, I've opted to use the simpler interpretation: Stealth for hiding yourself, Concealment for hiding objects (Ultimate skil indicates that Concealment is the proper skill if you're going to remain hidden for more than 1 turn).

Hero Designer is also very useful if you are pressed for time, and signing up for the single-user contract with 2-years worth of updates is a very good deal; you then also get the ability to freely download pregenerated characters (and equipment as well as other prefabs) from the Vault, and can buy the HD character packs instead of books if you just want some stats.

I purchased HD early on, but had some troubles with the installation. I finally figured out that for some reason, it was downloading and saving as a .zip file instead of a .jar. Once I changed the file extension, it installed without a hitch.

I have run into one problem with it: The Points & Matching Complications don't appear to work as described in the manual. For example: When I create a new "heroic" character for 6E, it defaults to 200 "Points" and 150 "Matching Complications" (which I would expect to equate to a 350-point character). If I go to the Characteristics tab, at the bottom it shows 0/200 points spent. This is OK. I then go to the Complications tab and purchase a 15-point complication. I return to the Characteristics tab and it still shows 0/200 points spent. I would have expected 0/215. So, instead of "Points" being "Base Points" - the number of "free" points you get to work with, "Points" seems to be "Total Points" including complication that you get to work with...Or am I doing something wrong?

Basically, what I'm asking is how much (if any) of the slowness is due to inexperience with the system? Because there are things we can suggest to speed that up a bit.

Not to mention that this will speed up with practice.

1) Build a generic. I've got a 'Generic Guard' build that I use regularly. I might change his weapon or his hair colour and uniform and language, but he's the same guy time after time.

What's more, you can then use the exact same write up for a bandit, a gobllin, or any other weapon using opponent of about the same threat level. All you have to change is the way you describe it.

Lucius Alexander

Generic Palindromedary Tagline

What's more, you can then use the exact same write up for a bandit, a gobllin, or any other weapon using opponent of about the same threat level. All you have to change is the way you describe it.

Which is why sites like mine and Killer Shrikes are so useful. There are piles of characters on my site you can quickly adapt to almost any setting, saving you time and energy. And, of course, as you said, you can reuse them over and over.

I have to pipe in and say Hero Designer is a godsend for the GM lacking time. There are tons of export formats available including a minion sheet that boils down the write up and then includes record boxes for 12 minions.

Also the sites Susano and Killer Shrike maintain are fantastic resources. Even if you don't use any of their write-ups, the information available there for view is really great for seeing how things can be done. Great stuff to jog the creative juices of any GM regardless of how experienced they are.

I have to pipe in and say Hero Designer is a godsend for the GM lacking time. There are tons of export formats available including a minion sheet that boils down the write up and then includes record boxes for 12 minions.

Also the sites Susano and Killer Shrike maintain are fantastic resources. Even if you don't use any of their write-ups, the information available there for view is really great for seeing how things can be done. Great stuff to jog the creative juices of any GM regardless of how experienced they are.

And I include HD files of all my creations, so you can edit to your hearts content.

Not really much to add; just variations on what's already been written.

For my true cannon fodder, I only put down as much information as will fit on a 3x5 index card (at most). Basically its classification (generic thug, tough thug, thug leader, etc), a stat line, one or two attacks and whatever defenses it might have. Something like the following:

Generic Warrior

STR DEX CON INT EGO PRE OCV DCV OMCV DMCV
11  8   11  8   8   8   5   4    3    3

SPD  PD  ED REC END BOD STN Leap Run Swim
2    4   4  6   20  11  20  4m  14m  4m

Armor:
Leather (DEF 2)

Attacks:
Axe 1d6 Killing

I also use this same format for minor non-combat NPCs as well. Just some stats and a brief rundown of skills:

Shopkeeper

STR DEX CON INT EGO PRE OCV DCV OMCV DMCV
8   8   8   10  8   12  3   3    3    4

SPD  PD  ED REC END BOD STN Leap Run Swim
2    2   2  4   16  8   16  4m  12m  4m

Skills:
12-: Barter, Appraise
10-: PS - Shopkeeper, Local Knowledge, Gossip
8-: Climbing, Legends, Religeon

Knows own shop like back of his hand: +1 PER only in shop

For NPCs that are slightly more important (minor recurring villains, party henchmen and the like), I'll use the attached abbreviated character sheet.

In neither case do I worry about point totals or the like. I just fill in whatever values are appropriate and make up any needed details on the spot. I only do full character sheets for major villains and the like.

• 5 weeks later...

For my true cannon fodder' date=' I only put down as much information as will fit on a 3x5 index card (at most). Basically its classification (generic thug, tough thug, thug leader, etc), a stat line, one or two attacks and whatever defenses it might have. Something like the following:[/font']

[font=Courier New]Generic Warrior[/font]

[font=Courier New]STR DEX CON INT EGO PRE OCV DCV OMCV DMCV[/font]
[font=Courier New]11  8   11  8   8   8   5   4    3    3[/font]

[font=Courier New]SPD  PD  ED REC END BOD STN Leap Run Swim[/font]
[font=Courier New]2    4   4  6   20  11  20  4m  14m  4m[/font]

[font=Courier New]Armor:[/font]
[font=Courier New]Leather (DEF 2)[/font]

[font=Courier New]Attacks:[/font]
[font=Courier New]Axe 1d6 Killing[/font]

I also use this same format for minor non-combat NPCs as well. Just some stats and a brief rundown of skills:

[font=Courier New]Shopkeeper[/font]

[font=Courier New]STR DEX CON INT EGO PRE OCV DCV OMCV DMCV[/font]
[font=Courier New]8   8   8   10  8   12  3   3    3    4[/font]

[font=Courier New]SPD  PD  ED REC END BOD STN Leap Run Swim[/font]
[font=Courier New]2    2   2  4   16  8   16  4m  12m  4m[/font]

[font=Courier New]Skills:[/font]
[font=Courier New]12-: Barter, Appraise[/font]
[font=Courier New]10-: PS - Shopkeeper, Local Knowledge, Gossip[/font]
[font=Courier New]8-: Climbing, Legends, Religeon[/font]

[font=Courier New]Knows own shop like back of his hand: +1 PER only in shop[/font]

For NPCs that are slightly more important (minor recurring villains, party henchmen and the like), I'll use the attached abbreviated character sheet.

In neither case do I worry about point totals or the like. I just fill in whatever values are appropriate and make up any needed details on the spot. I only do full character sheets for major villains and the like.

GREAT! This is pretty much the kind of thing I was looking for...though, sadly...it's something of a moot point at the moment -- the Fantasy HERO game I was running sort of blew up...the players created characters and then chose to play them in such a way that they hated each other...So, in an effort to remove some of the complexity (by eliminating some of the optional rules), we're now trying to get a Champions game running; so the above advice won't go entirely to waste. I hope to get back to Fantasy HERO after the group gets more comfortable with the system.

My next problem is how to get hack-and-slash players to use their imaginations and role-play...

GREAT! This is pretty much the kind of thing I was looking for...though, sadly...it's something of a moot point at the moment -- the Fantasy HERO game I was running sort of blew up...the players created characters and then chose to play them in such a way that they hated each other...So, in an effort to remove some of the complexity (by eliminating some of the optional rules), we're now trying to get a Champions game running; so the above advice won't go entirely to waste. I hope to get back to Fantasy HERO after the group gets more comfortable with the system.

My next problem is how to get hack-and-slash players to use their imaginations and role-play...

Recommend certain complications to help the players. Hunted/Watched, DNPC's and Psychological Complications are all good for spurring Roleplaying opportunities.

Also I HIGHLY recommend that you either have the players make characters who already know one another as part of a team (shared Origin is best) and/or make each player have at least one positive connection to at least one other player. (ie friendship/partially shared background). This way you can encourage a web of friendship that should prevent party implosion. Also, don't be afraid to say no to loner characters. Everyone wants to play Batman/Wolverine, but those characters can be a real drain on a beginning campaign.

I am getting ready to run a few demo games at my FLGS. Basically to avoid that issue with the full time game I will be running. Over the years I have noticed that many new to super-heroic RPG gamers will have this really cool idea in their head and when they first try to build the character they screw it up royally and the concept fails. Many times because they don't have a grasp of the game and overreach what they can do for the points. This can sour people to the genre/game and they never come back. So I set up demo/intro games where I build all the PC's and NPC's. I promote it by telling the players the PC's are just training characters and that after a session or two they will build their own characters.

This means that during the initial training sessions I can concentrate on teaching the game, not trying to figure out any weirdness that may have crept in on their character sheets. Plus I can make sure every PC has something to do and won't wind up on the sidelines.

I am getting ready to run a few demo games at my FLGS. Basically to avoid that issue with the full time game I will be running. Over the years I have noticed that many new to super-heroic RPG gamers will have this really cool idea in their head and when they first try to build the character they screw it up royally and the concept fails. Many times because they don't have a grasp of the game and overreach what they can do for the points. This can sour people to the genre/game and they never come back. So I set up demo/intro games where I build all the PC's and NPC's. I promote it by telling the players the PC's are just training characters and that after a session or two they will build their own characters.

This means that during the initial training sessions I can concentrate on teaching the game, not trying to figure out any weirdness that may have crept in on their character sheets. Plus I can make sure every PC has something to do and won't wind up on the sidelines.

If you remember, and you have room for one more, let me know where and when for those. I might be interested in playing if the drive is reasonable.

If you remember' date=' and you have room for one more, let me know where and when for those. I might be interested in playing if the drive is reasonable.[/quote']

I'll be sure to PM you before. But even if you can't make these, I plan on using them or a slightly modified version at Dragonflight.

It was a HERO game where I first saw my groups Mad Slasher player go combat free. I have found the pulp genre to be good for this - the incentives are all different - the tropes the players have are all different. My player who would immediately go for the character with Nine Inch Razor Sharp claws!! in one form or another in every character designed Catherine DuPont. First, it was a woman, second her only combat was a small derringer for which there was only a basic level of use skill and the character had the physical limitation of "First action in combat is to scream!".

I nearly fainted.

:-)

Doc